• Friendliest aviation community on the web
737 type

Britpilot said:
Me- "I would like a job with you all at SWA"
SWA- "Certainly,just go get a 737 type"
Me- "Ok I'll do that"
Training facility- "Here's your type, that will $8500.00 Please"
SWA- "Are, you have your type, welcome aboard"
No it's not PFT, you are right, so you all won't have a problem with me after I have done this,and written the check, right?
I would not, actually. Not in the least.

Once more, compare it to a corporate job that requires a Lear type. This issue turns on whether the training can be used elsewhere. A 737 type certainly can be shopped to others besides Southwest.

Once more, Comair is not P-F-T. Once again, the analysis to apply is whether the Commercial-CFI earned at Comair can be used elsewhere. It can. Same for MAPD. Absolutely, Mesa's training is steeped heavily in its line procedures and graduates arrive on the property trained to fly its 1900s. But, bottom line, the Commercial-Multi-Instrument earned at MAPD is good anywhere.

Last edited:
From reading this forum, I believe El Duderino seems to be a bit if a daft prick. The United States is the only country in the world where "buying time" is considered bad. ( by some, and from the pilots I have talked to at airports, the minority.)

I did not have to do this, I was lucky. But I will not insult those who did. I am not God. Even though some obviously think they are.

One more thing, I agree with something someone said. Disagreeing with a program is one thing, but do Not take it out on the pilot.

I had an ex-GIA pilot at my airline, and I have had him in my cockpit. He was an excellent pilot. Personally, I did not care for him much, but he was skilled. He is now on United's seniority list.

Southwest is not pft

Southwest is NOT pft. What about a person who flies a 737 in the military and gets hired because he was able to transfer the type rating??? He didn't buy anything and won't have to buy anything to attend Southwest's new hire class. What about those BBJ's? Some bizjet pilot could come in with 737 experience and a type. It's just a type rating requirement, people. Southwest itself does not charge money to enter its new hire program. So it is not pft, unlike the trash pile down in Florida called Gulfstream!!!!!

I feel perfectly safe flying on Southwest. They have an excellent safety record and some of the best pilots out there. Hoot Gibson, the former astronaut, flies for them. Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Can't say the same about Gulftrash.

FlyDeltasJets said:
. . . . Disdain for the program does not necessarily translate into disdain for the pilot. People make mistakes and errors in judgement, and respectfully pointing out the ramifications of programs like GIA should be encouraged to potentially hinder them from spreading.
Fair comments.

jppt2000 said:
I am not God. Even though some obviously think they are.

You must not fly for Delta mainline.

Not surprisingly, neither do you.

The insults are getting predictable. At least put some thought into them.

Not surprisingly, neither do you.

never applied, FDJ's.
Funny though, had I bought into your fantasy job, I'd be on furlough right now. Probably for at least five years.
PS, FDJ, Delta manangement needs your help.
What was the loss? for 3Q?

Re: 737 type

bobbysamd said:
I would not, actually. Not in the least.

Once more, compare it to a corporate job that requires a Lear type. This issue turns on whether the training can be used elsewhere. A 737 type certainly can be shopped to others besides Southwest.

B]

So can my B1900 and EMB 145 types, but I am dishonorable because I paid for for my initial training. Face the facts, you need a type to go to SWA, if you don't have it, then you have to pay. If it was not PFT then SWA would pay for the type. There is absolutely no differance here to what I did apart from the fact that my initial training was in house. I do not have the benefit of a freebie 73 type so it has to be purchased just like all the other training I purchased and just like all the other professional pilot students who are paying for their college and flight training. You see a college degree is a REQUIREMENT for a lot of carriers, not many colleges give you a free degree and yes I paid for that as well.
Former GIA students are flying for lots of airlines worlwide so if you are that concerned about the skill of these pilots then I suggest that you NEVER step foot on ANY commercial airliner EVER again.

PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good! PFT Bad! PFT Good!

Do y'all ever get tired of talking about it?

Latest resources

Back