• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream getting CoEx Routes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nothing frosts me more than praise for that turncoat Churchill. "History of English Speaking Peoples" what drivel.

Britain keeping the Nazis at bay? It was only because of their agreement with Poland that the Nazi thugs abandoned their policy of Ostpolitik and turned westward. Lesson, British meddling brought them problems they couldn't take care of without outside help.

U.S. late in WWI ? Should we have even been involved in that scrap? Afterwards, the Brits and French would dictate terms of surrender (the Germans only agreed to an Armistice) that would lay the ground work for Hitler and his minions to come to power by legal means.

Britain first to line up to help the United States?
Yes, unfortunately this is true. I wish they wouldn't; they only get in the way!

Lord Wakefield said:
Nothing frosts me more than praise for that turncoat Churchill. "History of English Speaking Peoples" what drivel.

Britain keeping the Nazis at bay? It was only because of their agreement with Poland that the Nazi thugs abandoned their policy of Ostpolitik and turned westward. Lesson, British meddling brought them problems they couldn't take care of without outside help.

U.S. late in WWI ? Should we have even been involved in that scrap? Afterwards, the Brits and French would dictate terms of surrender (the Germans only agreed to an Armistice) that would lay the ground work for Hitler and his minions to come to power by legal means.

Britain first to line up to help the United States?
Yes, unfortunately this is true. I wish they wouldn't; they only get in the way!

Now that is funny stuff. I still don't see how Churchill can be described as a turncoat. Interesting fact was his mother was American and he himself spent some time over here.
Sorry we get in YOUR way, hope you like the Harrier and the Goshawk, very useful equipment in times of conflict. Not to mention the SAS, finest special force there is. But maybe you have no military experiance to base these comments on.
Also interesting handle, Lord Wakefield, a fine town in Yorkshire, England. Lord, of course, being a title of English gentry.
You are correct about Hitler, we did allow him time to build his military strength even after Churchill warned the world in 1935 of this threat, but he was branded a war monger at the time. Sounds familar, they say that history repeats itself.

Britpilot said:
Not to mention the SAS, finest special force there is. /B]

Yes, let's not mention the SAS, that hopeless hodgepodge of misfits and cross dressers who've shown all the dependability of an English car.

Better you should have called up the Black & Tan's. Now, that would have been scary!

Our British Cousins

Britpilot said:
I still don't see how Churchill can be described as a turncoat. Interesting fact was his mother was American and he himself spent some time over here.
Score one for Mr. Brit. How can anyone classify Churchill as a turncoat? I recall seeing or hearing recently that Churchill and the Georges Bush have a common distant relative.
Originally posted by Britpilot [H]ope you like the Harrier and the Goshawk, very useful equipment in times of conflict . . . . .
I agree. The Harriers proved their worth as level fighters in the Falkland Islands war. The USMC have found them to be useful, too.
Originally posted by Britpilot You are correct about Hitler, we did allow him time to build his military strength even after Churchill warned the world in 1935 of this threat, but he was branded a war monger at the time. Sounds familar, they say that history repeats itself.
Agreed, especially after Hitler abrogated the Treaty of Versailles. I think most people would agree, too.

Once more, I didn't know this was the History Channel. But, interesting discussion, nevertheless.

Lord Wakefield said:
Yes, let's not mention the SAS, that hopeless hodgepodge of misfits and cross dressers who've shown all the dependability of an English car.

Better you should have called up the Black & Tan's. Now, that would have been scary!

Ahh, the Black and Tans, now I see where your coming from, a terrorist supporter, they were nothing but a bunch of cowards, just like all terrorists.
How about we mention that the SAS trained and continue to train US special forces, are you going to call them cross dressers too?
You are clearly nothing more than a British hater. Sorry that I am a Brit and are the target of your hatred. Hope you enjoyed the VC10 and the Sopwiths. Both, of course, British aircraft.
And of course any cars are much more dependable than those Jaguars, Rolls Royces and Range Rovers aren't they?

Last edited:
Nigel,
I have a UK ATPL temp that is good for two years. I myself passed the written law exam and also did a checkride to ATP 737 standards under the watchful eye of the head of the CAA. If I wanted to get a real airline job in the EU I would have to have my license changed into a JAR license. To get the JAR license I have to take a six month college course and have an airline sponser me. Check out what has happened in your own country, it is not the same as it was even a year ago. Cheers.

Last edited:
Yes, Churchill's mother was born here. Brooklyn if memory serves me correctly; and a street in the Bronx bears her name.

Turncoat is not the name I gave him. How many political parties did he belong to? At least, he was something of a pilot (flew an Avro 504)

Germany didn't surrender in WWI. She agreed to an ARMISTICE on Wilson's 14 pts, laid down her arms and sent her High Seas Fleet to the British base at Scapa Flow. Versailles was a Carthaginian peace, a dictat, imposed on a disarmed Germany at the point of millions of guns during a starvation blockade. If she didn't give up 1/10 her land and 8 million people, Marshall Foch would have marched on Berlin. Ask a lawyer (no, let's not involve them) any contract signed at gun point is invalid (that's not to say I oppose the Magna Carta in principle). Though Hitler's rearming of Germany was a breach of Versailles, the decision to build a navy 1/3 the size of Britain's was assented to by Britain is negotiations when Churchill was a member of the Labour party.

I had a Jag-u-ar once and it cured me. The only reason the Brits don't market computers is because they haven't figured out how to make one leak. And it was a lousy British Leyland car and didn't get fixed till Ford stepped in. Even James Bond no longer drives an Aston Martin.

I'm hardly a Brit hater. You guys make the world's best mustard. Try it, it'll put hair on your chest!

TurboS7 said:
Nigel,
I have a UK ATPL temp that is good for two years. I myself passed the written law exam and also did a checkride to ATP 737 standards under the watchful eye of the head of the CAA. If I wanted to get a real airline job in the EU I would have to have my license changed into a JAR license. To get the JAR license I have to take a six month college course and have an airline sponser me. Check out what has happened in your own country, it is not the same as it was even a year ago. Cheers.

Just called the CAA. Don't know where this airline sponsership came from, as you can get the JAR ATPL based on your FAA ATP. It will cost some cash as there is a check ride involved and of course a fee for logbook inspection and the writtens. You can also go yo any JAR country for the srevice.

The sponsership is for the work permit for an individual that is not part of the EU by citizen ship. In other words the airline is saying that they want this individual working for them due to specific qualifications etc. As you well know the rules are changing faster that any of us can keep up with them, my info is based on experience a couple of years ago. That is news about the JAA ATPL we were told we would have to go to six months of "college" in order to qualify to take the written. Maybe all that has change too. Thanks for checking.

Agreed, if you do not have a way to gain a work permit then you do have to be sponsered. Very similar to here if you need to get a work permit.
The JAR's are "work in progress" especially when it comes to training regulations. I worked on this for two years for an international acadamy based here. A lot of the rules mirrored Part 141 regs and all schools have to be approved by the JAA in order to give flight instruction. The conversion process is still one of those areas that is changing. Once your logbook is "reviewed" you will be told of what is required to convert. For instance, they give credit for type ratings, PIC time under part 121,SIC time under Part 121 and any heavy time. My freind here in SC just came back from a trip to Holland last week and he had the logbook review and was amazed at how little was required to convert, so was I.
It does cost quite a bit of cash but then Europe has never been cheap and the flying over there is very different with all the controlled airspace and Eurocontrol, but if you think you need the license it is obtainable.

Latest resources

Back