Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Low & Slow !!!!!

Flyprdu;1763989[QUOTE said:
]If what people are saying is true, then this airplane is unsafe and needs to be grounded immediately.[/quote
]

Hey dude,isn't this a bit of a drastic action that you are in favor of???This aircraft,(Dash-8Q400). had a good record up until now!!
Perhaps the problem lies with TRAINING & PROCEDURES???

Any pilot that KNOWS anything knows that you cannot get LOW & SLOW when on an instrument approach in icing conditions!!

One of my good friends actually works at Colgan and has relayed the fact that Asymmetrical flap extension has been listed as a probable cause of the accident.

I've flown the Q400 for 2 years now in some pretty heavy ice. It always seemed like it carried ice very well and I was never particularly concerned about its manners or handling in icing conditions. In the first minutes after I heard about this accident, when the speculation started that it might have been caused by icing in general, and a tail plane stall in particular, I thought, "no way."

This accident and the insinuations that the NTSB is spreading, I'll admit, have shaken my confidence a bit. If the departure from controlled flight happened as flaps were selected to 15 (versus 35) as the NTSB has said, I'm even more baffled. 5 to 15 just isn't that big a pitch change in the 400 and happens pretty slowly. 15 to 35 happens very rapidly and is accompanied by massive pitch changes, especially if done right at or below the flaps 35 Vfe.

The flap system, on the other hand, is pretty finicky and I could see (having just reviewed the system) how an electronic malfunction of the flap control unit might allow an uncorrectable asymmetry condition. Problem is that on the Q400, once you get a flap power or a flap drive caution, you often can't move the flaps from the position they are in when the caution occurs.

Rest in peace, crew and pax of Colgan 3407. May your families, friends, and coworkers find some solace in this very difficult time.

Must have missed that class in prdu....

Longer plane is better in ice. Tail has a longer arm making the moment force greater. Plus the tail is father away from the wings downwash..

Aerodynamic BURN!!!:angryfire

Perhaps the first aerodynamic burn in history?

I believe FI should shut down for a time (moment of posting silence) in honor of our fallen crew mates.

So sad, so tragic, and all we can do is bicker and point fingers.

W

Any pilot that KNOWS anything knows that you cannot get LOW & SLOW when on an instrument approach in icing conditions!!

Who says they were? You're really no better than the person you are complaining about by insinuating that the crew might have gotten low and slow on approach.

Hey dude,isn't this a bit of a drastic action that you are in favor of???This aircraft,(Dash-8Q400). had a good record up until now!!
Perhaps the problem lies with TRAINING & PROCEDURES???

And if you knew anything, you would know that the faster you go, the closer you are to a tailplane stall. Extra speed is bad news with ice on the tail.

My thoughts go out to the families involved in this horrible accident.

If it is a tail stall that occured, recovery at low altitudes is almost impossible. The Beech Jet has a problem with tail stalls and at netjets we see them every 6 months in training. Pulling back on the yoke, pulling the flaps up, and decreasing thrust (until control is back), is the recovery methods I have been shown. This is a violent act and very difficult to handle.

We will have to wait to see what the NTSB rules as the cause.

Once again this is a sad event in aviation and I wish the best to the families involved.

Originally Posted by Flyprdu...
You're just a f*ckin idiot. Period.
There should be a minimum IQ required to start a thread.

This coming from the moron that started this thread. You are the f***ckin' idiot. Period.:puke:

Last edited:
the beechjet had huge tail stall issues.

the heat on it still sucks, but at least you get to try tail stalling in the sim

it still flies

edit: i should've looked two posts above mine. or maybe read the thread first

Last edited:
Can someone who flies/flew the Q400 describe the de-icing system on that aircraft? Are there boots on the H and V Stab? Is it automatic? Is there an ice-detection system?

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back