• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great News. More Newhires at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can answer some of your questions. Before the latest hiring took place, I had only had two classes of new hires beneath me, and I was pretty much stuck in Oakland. The upside to that was that I got most weekends off, although it meant a reserve schedule. I probably could have gotten off of reserve there, but bid specifically for weekends off. As soon as the hiring started and new classes started coming on the line, I got based at MDW, so for me, as soon as I got about 5 classes below me, I got out of OAK. Had weekends off not been important to me, I could have had LAS or PHX along the way. The majority of trips are 3 and 4 day trips, and reserve blocks (with a few exceptions) are all 3 & 4 days. If you have a non-reserve line and want to trade weekend trips for weekday trips, you can trade with trips the company hasn't covered using what we call ELITT (electronic line improvement trip trade). Weekday trips always go first once they come up, but with patience and time in front of your computer, you can slowly but surely find some trades for yourself.

Another thing you can do is put all of your stuff in give away, and if it goes, you can pick up extra fly or VJA (voluntary junior assign) from the company. You can also possibly find people who want to trade their weekday trip for your trip. Lots of possibilities to get out of weekend flying, but don't expect weekends off until you get a few classes below you in base, and then expect that you will still most likely have to sit reserve if you want weekends off.

The basic order of bases by seniority, from junior to senior is (as of right now): OAK, LAS, PHX, MDW, HOU, BWI, MCO, DAL. In the recent past, BWI was more senior to MCO, but that seems to have changed.

Thanks that was very informative. If I may ask a follow up question - what are the reserve duty periods like? Can you start a period with a late show and and early show on the last day?

Your right about the price. I haven't done a very detailed search since I don't care that much but you guys are not as cheap as you once were. Many times that I have friends that need to go to Florida or the east coast you are one of the most expensive if not middle of the road. I don't worry about any legacy competing with your prices. As you start going long haul international your costs will skyrocket for that segment to be sustained and you wont be selling any cheaper than anyone else. Just another player in a big big game. Welcome but you aren't scaring anyone.

After the line YOU highlighted, I stated "People will buy what's perceived as cheapest", We advertise we're a low fare airline, we didn't advertise we are the "Cheapest Airline"...Perceived Cheapest!

Many more buy tickets on everyone else because the ticket may be less, but after you add all the other fees, it really isn't. The reason the "Bags Fly Free" campaign is successful.

I never said anything about being scared.

KBB

It's interesting that that you see so many SWA guys jumping up and down about "someday we will fly International!" If that was so important to you, why didn't you just go to a carrier that already did? Obviously you could never reach the level of International service that DAL does, yet you guys jump up and down like it's the holy grail.

Not me.... If I never fly international, it will be too soon.

Give me lots of time off and a good paycheck to enjoy it and I'm happy. Even with the occasional LBB layover!

How many does swa plan to hire??

Will the type be necessary anymore?

Can the hiring info be verified?

Thanks,

P.s the rhetoric about SLI gets old.

There was a recent Check airman meeting in Dallas, and Tortie was quoted as saying that our days of one type of aircraft are coming to an end, and not referring to the 717. We will need wide-body/long range type. He was also quoted as saying our current FO's will have to decide between Domestic capt or International FO. Significant growth after the acquisition (no numbers) so whoever ends up low on seniority after the SLI, it won't last long. My guess is there could be some big announcements after the purchase is complete.

Last edited:
Not worried at all. I don't subscribe to the "my airline can beat up your airline" mindset. Any posts that may seem that way (see above) are meant to counter that attitude.
As far as Hawaii goes, it's a very big market and will always have a lot of airlines flying there. Hawaiian seems to have no problem filling up any 767's or A330's we fly to the mainland. Hawaiian has a very strong presence in the market and because they are uniquely "Hawaiian" people like to fly on them to start their Hawaii vacation. The seat mile costs on a 767/A330 are quite a bit lower than any 737 that could be used to fly to Hawaii and of course 737's don't have the same passenger appeal on a trans-pac flight. But if you fly to Hawaii I'm sure you will carry a lot of people here which is good for the State, which in turn is good for Hawaiian Air. So no, I'm not to worried. Inter-Island would take a huge investment by SWA to go after a very small profit potential. It's a very complex deal and there is much more to it than you think. Bottom line is you would spend a lot of money chasing a market with very limited potential for you. SWA is way to smart to do that.
Hawaiians latest focus is on Asia. We just started and are carrying high loads with high yields to Japan and Korea. I suspect we will also be adding non stops to the east coast soon.

You just made the case for SWA to buy Hawaiin to make the next step toward being a global airline.

Gup

There was a recent Check airman meeting in Dallas, and Tortie was quoted as saying that our days of one type of aircraft are coming to an end, and not referring to the 717. We will need wide-body/long range type. He was also quoted as saying our current FO's will have to decide between Domestic capt or International FO. Significant growth after the acquisition (no numbers) so whoever ends up low on seniority after the SLI, it won't last long. My guess is there could be some big announcements after the purchase is complete.

tortie isnt privy to what A/C management will be buying.

Latest resources

Back