Great News. More Newhires at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oys

Do you guys offer the jumpseat or is that still an item that's been negotiated out of your contract?

Reason I ask is I'm trying to get from SLC to LAX. The majority of those flights are done by Skywest and I know there is no issue with their jumpseat, but a few flights are actually still operated by DL mainline and last time I tried to jumpseat on them (a while ago) and they didn't offer the jumpseat to anyone, not even their own pilots. I remember this because we used to give rides to DAL guys all the time even though they couldn't reciprocate. They were very appreciative and said they would eventually negotiate it back into their contract. Can your tell me if that's happened? Because even though the majority of flights in and out of SLC to LAX are operated by Skywest there's an outside chance I may have to try and ride on you guys and I wouldn't want to get burned.

Thanks.

RWAV

Hiring delayed?

Higher Power Family,We have updated information from Southwest Airlines that the pilot application window will not be opening on Monday, March 7th. You may watch their website at www.southwest.com for the actual date and we will advise you when the position is posted.Thank you.Higher Power Aviation

If you wonder why these threads denigrate into a SLI pi%%ing contest then look no further than this:

Sorry, but no one knows how this will go down. Making bold inflammatory statements to make yourself feel good will not change how this deal is done.

Are we going to discuss issues in the realm of reality? Or, are we just going to lob mud at each other knowing we all will get dirty?

Sorry, but if you think your "merger" is different than any of the recent ones in the eyes of the arbitrators, then you will have one heck of a wake up call when this over. You are the one who needs to come back to reality. Accept that Airtran enhances your company's value, which is what the arbitrators will see also, and you won't be as disappointed with the eventual results.

OYS

Last edited:
Do you guys offer the jumpseat or is that still an item that's been negotiated out of your contract?

Reason I ask is I'm trying to get from SLC to LAX. The majority of those flights are done by Skywest and I know there is no issue with their jumpseat, but a few flights are actually still operated by DL mainline and last time I tried to jumpseat on them (a while ago) and they didn't offer the jumpseat to anyone, not even their own pilots. I remember this because we used to give rides to DAL guys all the time even though they couldn't reciprocate. They were very appreciative and said they would eventually negotiate it back into their contract. Can your tell me if that's happened? Because even though the majority of flights in and out of SLC to LAX are operated by Skywest there's an outside chance I may have to try and ride on you guys and I wouldn't want to get burned.

Thanks.

RWAV

I am fairly new, but as long as I've been here we've welcomed jumpseaters, and I remember jumping DL when I was at United no problem. When was the last time you tried again? 20 years ago? Someone did tell me about a time when the jump was used as a weapon by the company, but that was long ago. And there are plenty of mainline flights from SLC to LAX, and other airports in the LA Basin.

OYS

Oys

What a sad little fellow you must be. Get back to me on that jumpseat will you?

Regarding our acquisition of Airtran: (that word obviously frosts your little bottom) It's amazing to me your infatuation with all things Southwest. Did we turn you down? If so, on behalf of the entire pilot group and the People department I sincerely apologize. We really could have used someone of your wit and expertise.

Hope to see you out on line. I'll be the guy with his hat in his hand and chocolates for the crew. Thanks ahead of time for the JS!

RWAV

Oys

I am fairly new, but as long as I've been here we've welcomed jumpseaters, and I remember jumping DL when I was at United no problem. When was the last time you tried again? 20 years ago? Someone did tell me about a time when the jump was used as a weapon by the company, but that was long ago. And there are plenty of mainline flights from SLC to LAX, and other airports in the LA Basin.
Wow! You were at United!!?? When I was growing up that's where all the REAL airline pilots wanted to be. Why in the world did you ever leave? At least you got hired at Delta. They're a REAL airline as well. I had to pay for a type rating and settle for Southwest. I'm so envious. That's why it'll be such a great fit for us and Airtran. We are both like the misfits of the industry. You know, dragging it down with our subpar wages and contract.

Thanks for setting me straight on the jumpseat. I was looking for flights on us and our codeshare partner, oh wait a minute, we don't have a domestic codeshare partner (damn! I wish we were a REAL airline!) and it looks like Skywest will work out better.

Thanks for taking so much interest in our acquisition of Airtran. I can't tell you how beneficial it is to get information from a REAL airline pilot that's worked for not one BUT TWO REAL airlines. I don't know about the Airtran guys, but I am certainly grateful for your thoughts and advice!

;)

Higher Power Family,We have updated information from Southwest Airlines that the pilot application window will not be opening on Monday, March 7th. You may watch their website at www.southwest.com for the actual date and we will advise you when the position is posted.Thank you.Higher Power Aviation

I saw that, too. I hope that's just a technology issue. You know, making sure everything is in order so the site doesn't go nuts again like it did during the FA window.

Sorry, but if you think your "merger" is different than any of the recent ones in the eyes of the arbitrators, then you will have one heck of a wake up call when this over. You are the one who needs to come back to reality. Accept that Airtran enhances your company's value, which is what the arbitrators will see also, and you won't be as disappointed with the eventual results.

And you know this cus you were recently hired at Delta. Or does your expertise come from the knowledge you aquired fron working at UAL? Fact is no one knows anything about SWA/Tranny. Not even GUP or the SWA/FO.

And you know this cus you were recently hired at Delta. Or does your expertise come from the knowledge you aquired fron working at UAL? Fact is no one knows anything about SWA/Tranny. Not even GUP or the SWA/FO.
True to an extent.

But indulge me for a little while to try and elaborate why I think this merger/acquisition enhances both companies.

AirTran brings to the mix; hard to get slots (DCA), turn key international, and the so important ATL gates. An argument could be made about cheap A/C orders but that's something that SWA could more easily achieve on their own if they haven't already. As far as ATL goes, SWA would not be able to secure more than a few gates, one or two at best without AirTran. It's safe to say that DAL pretty much owns the city of Atlanta.

SWA on the other hand, brings broader brand and name recognition. Because of this factor, and having two customer pools to pull from, SWA will be able to add frequency on most markets currently served by AAI.

This principle will be crucial to international/near international routes. In order to establish an international market, passengers in your own country need to know who you are. We can all agree that SWA is a very well known airline in this country. With this familiarity in hand, SWA should be able to not only continue what AAI has began, but also expand on it. If the yields are there, SWA should have not shortage of passengers that want to fly them those destinations. After all, AAI has already proven that it can operate on those routes profitably. The sky is the limit on this front as I see it.

Without a merger/acquisition, the alternatives are few and growing more difficult. The low hanging fruit in the way of markets is getting scarce. These two airlines need to maintain growth for long term solvency. Only way to that today is to invade others' territories. With the emergence of mega carriers like DAL and UAL, that task is going to be expensive and bloody. These carriers, through consolidation have/will emerge stronger and more financially able to defend their turf. No matter how much money a carrier may have, that kind of war can not profitably be sustained in the long term. They need help. I believe that is what GK and BF see and are reacting accordingly. To not do so, would probably be irresponsible to their shareholders and ultimately their employees.

All in all, Mr. Torti might be on to something.....If his comments are true. Apologies for the thread hijack if the subject was different ..

Last edited:
Up to about 4 years ago Delta only allowed 1 jumpseater per jumpseat. I saw many a plane leave half empty but could not get on because of a prior jumpseater. Saying that Delta guys always went out of their way to list at the gate if there was an open seat in the back so I could get on. Even for this Airtrash pilot.

Latest resources

Back