• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great News. More Newhires at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back to the main subject.... anyone know how many SWA plans on hiring? Are we talking 20 or 120? Thoughts?

I have heard 100-120 on top of the 188 already hired this year. I also heard that they were only planning on interviewing around 180.. when i interviewed in 07 it seemed like they were interviewing groups of around 20 and maybe 5 or so at the most getting the nod... so if you get an interview it looks like the odds of getting an offer are a lot better than in the past. I haven't seen anything official but even rumors of hiring are a good thing... best of luck to all who want to sign up..

Thanks that was very informative. If I may ask a follow up question - what are the reserve duty periods like? Can you start a period with a late show and and early show on the last day?

To answer in the most simplistic terms, generally the answer is no. We have AM reserve blocks and PM reserve blocks with 2 hour callouts. Once assigned, you don't change from an AM to PM. There are times when the company has asked me to switch from a PM to an AM prior to my reserve block beginning, and I have agreed, since AM trips allow for me to commute home on the same day as my reserve block ending.

Jj

tortie isnt privy to what A/C management will be buying.
I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. Torti is very knowledgeable about what aircraft he will be tasked to train pilots on. It is my understanding that there will be 717 training done in Dallas but that's what they are telling us so, yes, it is one sided. I don't know anything about AAI's training or maintenance but would like to be enlightened.

I spoke to a mechanic that told me that our MX guys are at this time getting trained on the B717. But, that's one sided as well. Do you guys farm out any of your maintenance work and training or is it all done in house?

You just made the case for SWA to buy Hawaiin to make the next step toward being a global airline.

Gup

Which is why delta airlines will snap them up before southwest gets its mitts on them. $10 bucks, or 2 Jack and Cokes and 4 beers at your next ELP overnight. Besides, it's Hawaiian. :)

Your right about the price. I haven't done a very detailed search since I don't care that much but you guys are not as cheap as you once were. Many times that I have friends that need to go to Florida or the east coast you are one of the most expensive if not middle of the road. I don't worry about any legacy competing with your prices. As you start going long haul international your costs will skyrocket for that segment to be sustained and you wont be selling any cheaper than anyone else. Just another player in a big big game. Welcome but you aren't scaring anyone.[/QUOTE

Exactly Monster Buck.

What people also forget the big money maker in international flying is also hauling cargo. Bigger planes haul more and the passengers are just the icing on the cake.

As far as hiring numbers, its anyones guess. My question is: Although both airlines will continue to operate under their own cert for some time after the signing, will SWA aircraft and crews be able to start serving the AAI cities that SWA will be gaining and vice/versa? If so, there could be significant room for growth just linking up the two route structures. ie, BWI-ATL, MDW-ATL, HOU-ATL, etc. And that's just ATL

I got an email from the OAK SWAPA reps on 2/28 that said, "we're going to hire 100 more pilots ASAP" and mentioned a slow down in how applications are taken and sorted and then mentions the window opening soon, as it just did. I'd say then that 100 (hopefully more) seems to be a pretty good estimate for this window.

I'd be willing to wager that this won't be the only hiring window we see open up this year. I think that they just don't want the pool to grow too large and have people wading in it for significant periods of time like before. That scenario is not favorable for the applicants or the company.

Bob, this post shows a complete lack of knowledge concerning arbitrated precedent. Without a doubt, all new hires post Sep 27th will be effectively stapled to the ISL. And I am sure that they all realize that. At least I hope so.

PapaWoody

So then will the contract comparison and career expectation snapshot be for pre Sept. 27th also?

Yikes, if so that one is really going to come back and bite the AirTran guys in the butt. I guess they can't have it both ways, but so much for using the new AirTran pay rates.

Is this why we are hiring 100+.

Sun Country Airlines is close to being sold, according to court documents filed this week.
In a filing made Monday in the bankruptcy case of former Sun Country owner Tom Petters, trustee Doug Kelley said he "is anticipating accepting a letter of intent from a proposed purchaser shortly."
The name of the potential buyer wasn't disclosed, and neither was a purchase price.
Kelley asked U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Gregory Kishel to seal the name of the potential buyers, their offer and the minimum offer the airline would be willing to accept while the deal is being negotiated. A hearing on the matter is set for Tuesday.
Kelley said his ability to negotiate a price for the sale of the Twin Cities airline "will be hindered" if he can't provide assurance that the price being offered will be accepted by shareholders.

Sun Country Airlines close to being sold | Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

Latest resources

Back