• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Great Lakes Airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The hiring process is somewhat informal. Get your stuff in via airmail, facsimile, courier pigeon, pre-arranged smoke signal, or semaphore and see what happens. Lakes was born flying 99s. Worst case, even if you're not hired as a street CA, go through newhire as an FO and then upgrade almost immediately.

What's the pay situation during upgrade training. Are you taken off payroll for the duration or are you paid?

Five weeks of training with no pay, A $7500 training contract, Low FO pay for at least 300 hours before becoming a CA (probably 4 - 5 months) How can anyone afford to do this? Not to mention you have to pay your own way to get to the interview. What's the appeal?

Daddy's wallet and/or foodstamps.....1000 PIC and then daddy pays for a 73 type and then the dude gets on with SWA at age 25. Makes' ya wanna puke.

That's funny, while you were busy puking with jealousy I made it to my carrier of choice at 25, and yes, it was great.

With the current state of labor relations in this country, Lakes cannot be changed. We fought for the last contract for seven years. An illegal slowdown. Picketing. An illegal sickout. 100% strike vote. 100% TA rejection. The NMB refused to release us. Finally we threw ourselves upon the mercy of an arbitrator, who screwed us. We tried. We'll try again in '09. That's the story.

What's the pay situation during upgrade training. Are you taken off payroll for the duration or are you paid?

It's been over 4 years since I was at Lakes but unless it's changed (Cardinal and the others can correct me if I'm wrong), you continued at FO pay until you passed your PIC route check with the Fed onboard. That's assuming that you went through initial training, got online and then went back for upgrade training.

The hiring process is somewhat informal. Get your stuff in via airmail, facsimile, courier pigeon, pre-arranged smoke signal, or semaphore and see what happens. Lakes was born flying 99s. Worst case, even if you're not hired as a street CA, go through newhire as an FO and then upgrade almost immediately.

May I ask who you you flew the A318 for?

May I ask who you you flew the A318 for?

I think Frontier is the only airline that flys A318s here. By the way I notice GLA has taken over pretty much every former 1900 route now that most EAS airlines are gone. How do they supply all these routes with pilots based in DEN and STL? Must be a lot of TDYing right?

Airline Pilot Central gives an address and fax number; but, does anyone on here have a person of contact as far as who to address in the cover letter? Please drop me a PM if you could. Thanks!

Latest resources

Back