• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tarzan

Deleted

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
You have made me see the light. On my next trip I will make sure that the entire crew gets together in the jetway and sings "Kumbaya" before each flight. Time for a group hug!! :rolleyes:

You speak of not complaining about things..yet your username is "tiredofteaching". Classic.

TiredOfTeaching said:
All the negativity out there will pull you into the hole right with them.

Spot on. I've noticed this not only on this board but in my place of work as well. There's no reason for it, at least not as far as I can tell. I only ever wanted to fly and pay bills. And since I am accomplishing those two items, I'm a happy person, and I sometimes can't comprehend why it doesn't seem to work that way for other people.

Why are we so negative?

I've said this before, but I think it has everything to do with having realistic expectations. For example, some people say that "this career ain't what it used to be," which I interpret to mean that I'll never make more than $100k as a pilot. Ok, now consider how many other people, working day in and day out, will never make $100k/year in their lifetimes. And many of these people have much more education than pilots, and will work harder, and be gone more often, and will work just as many holidays. I have Phd. student friends who envy me because, although I don't get paid well, I get to do what I love and they can tell that it positively affects my life.

So, in the future, pilots will not live in giant mansions and have pools and drive fast, expensive cars. That's fine with me, because that's not why I got into flying in the first place. I never wanted anything more than to fly for a living and have a subdivision house and a normal car. That's a realistic expectation.

One other thing that I think causes us to complain is that we as pilots and human beings tend to look at what other people have accomplished and judge ourselves against it. Don't do this, it will only hurt yourself. All you can expect out of yourself is your best. Life is life, and it is not a zero sum game.

-Goose

So why exactly is our occupation not what it used to be? Simple..because of a group of people who are too passionate about what they do and allow their emotions to stand in the way of what is practical. They are willing to go down to some school in Florida and fork out $120,000+ for someone to make them into an airline pilot. Who cares about money..who cares about work rules...we get to go to work and fly airplanes right? I mean, thats all that matters. Something tells me the professional aviators of the older era didn't see it like this, and that is why they got what they deserved in return.

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy what I do for a living, and I'm also not saying that constantly griping about everything to the point of making yourself miserable is constructive. My point is that a certain amount of b!tching and complaining is sometimes necessary to preserve what is left of our occuptation. If we all just walk around content with what we are given and never fighting for what we really deserve, then where is that going to take us? If, deep down, you like what you do, thats fine...but for the sake of all of us make sure you are getting your fair share of the deal. If that means bitching, then so be it.

SkyBoy1981 said:
So why exactly is our occupation not what it used to be?Simple..because of a group of people...

Not sure, but my guess would be market forces completely beyond my control as an individual. Sure, you've got guys willing to PFT and work for obscenely small amounts, but there's a lot more to it than that. No one factor, including pilot wages (or lack thereof), is completely responsible.

...who are too passionate about what they do and allow their emotions to stand in the way of what is practical. They are willing to go down to some school in Florida and fork out $120,000+ for someone to make them into an airline pilot...

This is exactly my point about unrealistic expectations. If I had sunk $120K into my flying career, you're darn right that I'd be upset that I didn't have a more favorable payscale. And we all should be aware, by now, that merely forking over cash does not make one an airline pilot. It's all about input vs. output; cost vs. benefit. I put $20k into my flying, plus a 4 year at a state school. A regional job that pays about that much in the first year is fine with me...

Who cares about money..who cares about work rules...we get to go to work and fly airplanes right? I mean, thats all that matters.

...but I certainly wouldn't take $20k per year to fly airplanes indefinitely. Are you kidding? My goal was to eat, pay bills, and fly. $20k ain't going to cut it for very long.

Something tells me the professional aviators of the older era didn't see it like this...

Ever read Fate is the Hunter? You should.

My point is that a certain amount of b!tching and complaining is sometimes necessary to preserve what is left of our occuptation. If we all just walk around content with what we are given and never fighting for what we really deserve...

I agree, to a point. We should speak up if something is not right. But how is it determined what we "really deserve." And who determines it? Is it the pilots? Management? Union kingpins? The customers?

If, deep down, you like what you do, thats fine...but for the sake of all of us make sure you are getting your fair share of the deal.

I'll like it, and it'll be more than "deep down." But what's my fair share?

-Goose

Last edited:
You're thinking into this way too hard....your fair share is a career with compensation, benefits, and work rules comparable to any other professional career. Your fair share is a company that abides by the pilot's contract. Most professional careers have improved over the years in the way of employee pay and benefits, there is no reason that ours should keep going backwards. Unless, of course, you can't seem to define what it is that you should be getting in the first place.

Why do we b!tch?

Good question. If there were anything rational to it, we wouldn't have 250k/yr widebody captains b!tching about not getting their crew meals served to them on china plates. Happiness is a state of mind.

Originally posted by Goose Egg:
I've said this before, but I think it has everything to do with having realistic expectations. For example, some people say that "this career ain't what it used to be," which I interpret to mean that I'll never make more than $100k as a pilot. Ok, now consider how many other people, working day in and day out, will never make $100k/year in their lifetimes. And many of these people have much more education than pilots, and will work harder, and be gone more often, and will work just as many holidays. I have Phd. student friends who envy me because, although I don't get paid well, I get to do what I love and they can tell that it positively affects my life.

So, in the future, pilots will not live in giant mansions and have pools and drive fast, expensive cars. That's fine with me, because that's not why I got into flying in the first place. I never wanted anything more than to fly for a living and have a subdivision house and a normal car. That's a realistic expectation.

One other thing that I think causes us to complain is that we as pilots and human beings tend to look at what other people have accomplished and judge ourselves against it. Don't do this, it will only hurt yourself. All you can expect out of yourself is your best. Life is life, and it is not a zero sum game.

Truer words have never been spoken. I'm happy where I'm at. But hey, I enjoyed flying freight too, because it was the flying I was there for. I dealt with the rest, but the only memories I took from there were of flying and of the people I worked with. If things hold together at F9, I'll be happy making mid-100's as a captain. That's enough. If it's not enough, I can do other things along the way to supplement that. I appreciate how our union has helped us, yet we maintain a healthy working relationship with mgmt. Everyone I've talked to wants the company to stay healthy so they can retire from there some day, and I feel the same way.

I've always been curious: Did ALPA research the financials of the ALPA carriers before getting the wage and benefits packages they did? I'm sure they did, but then why did they not see the writing on the walls when the economy began its downturn in '99-'00? Are they so blind (ignorant?) that they felt they would never have to go backwards once they made the strides upward in wages, even in the face of plummeting travel and fares? I realize how difficult the situations become when the labor groups feel they can't trust mgmt. Union mentalities are fascinating to a degree.

SkyBoy1981 said:
You're thinking into this way too hard....your fair share is a career with compensation, benefits, and work rules comparable to any other professional career. Your fair share is a company that abides by the pilot's contract.

Believe me, I see your point about having good work rules, benefits, etc.--I truly do--and I completely agree. However, I don't think that you realize that other "professionals," especially at the entry level, have it just as bad (or worse) than we do. Three examples that readily come to mind are sales, public accountants, and medical interns. Believe me, these guys have a lot crappier work rules than us (read no work rules. They are "professionals.")

Another point that Big Duke Six made is that some people seem to think that work rules, benefits, pay, etc. should remain static in a dynamic business environment. Sure, it'd be nice if we could plan on the security of ever-increasing pay and ever-sweetening benefits, but that's just not realistic. A rising tide raises all boats, just as a falling tide lowers them. As it turns out, we can't even plan on the security of ongoing employment, but that's how the working world is nowadays. If this hasn't occured to you, you might not be thinking about this hard enough.

Most professional careers have improved over the years in the way of employee pay and benefits, there is no reason that ours should keep going backwards.

Define improved. The way I see it, many are in decline, not just us.

-Goose

Last edited:
Goose Egg said:
some people say that "this career ain't what it used to be," which I interpret to mean that I'll never make more than $100k as a pilot.

100K??? Not for nothing, but if you can't live off of even 50K, you have issues. If I made 50K, I'd feel pretty wealthy indeed.

Goose Egg said:
Believe me, I see your point about having good work rules, benefits, etc.--I truly do--and I completely agree. However, I don't think that you realize that other "professionals," especially at the entry level, have it just as bad (or worse) than we do. Three examples that readily come to mind are sales, public accountants, and medical interns. Believe me, these guys have a lot crappier work rules than us (read no work rules. They are "professionals.")

Another point that Big Duke Six made is that some people seem to think that work rules, benefits, pay, etc. should remain static in a dynamic business environment. Sure, it'd be nice if we could plan on the security of ever-increasing pay and ever-sweetening benefits, but that's just not realistic. A rising tide raises all boats, just as a falling tide lowers them. As it turns out, we can't even plan on the security of ongoing employment, but that's how the working world is nowadays. If this hasn't occured to you, you might not be thinking about this hard enough.

Define improved. The way I see it, many are in decline, not just us.

-Goose

Perhaps, but how long do they have to stay at this "entry level" before getting anywhere? There is also not a "race to the bottom" going on in these other industries that you speak of. Thanks to the Mesas, Freedoms, and GoJets of our industry things only keep getting worse. My only point was that sometimes we have to bitch a little or we end up just like them.

Latest resources

Back