• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Go to ATI or stay at the regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes. Put family first! you will never regret it! take this from someone with experience from the dark side.

Hi np@jb is that you?

Tough call. Normally I recommend guys leave the regionals as fast as they can. No offense to the ATI guys, but I don't know many folks that have had good long term experiences with second/third tier cargo carriers. I know it works out for some, but most everybody else ends up with multiple furloughs and lots of years on the panel and/or in the right seat.

Unless I misread you it seems that until you stagnated as an FO you were generally happy at CMR. If that's the case I'd probably wait it out if I were you. Chances are you'll upgrade at CMR years before you would at ATI.

Good luck.

I totally understand the family thing being a Dad with a 3 & 6 yr old and of course I needed to take the first job that came about being on furlough.... but I see some real cool experiences being learned here @ ATI (international stuff) that will look good on my resume next furlough. An awesome group of aviators that I've met so far too! Not knocking the rj regional world but that kind of line flying is done by a lot of pilots. It's sort of day in day out...... Hr Depts (as wacky as they are) pick up on key words like "heavy international" experience. Just my 2 cents worth but go with your gut feeling we all have our own needs. The last thing I needed was more 121 PIC experience. (meaning we all have our own needs).

Can a non military pilot just get a reserve unit pilot position like that, or are we talking non pilot duties?

Yes, sort of. As a civ you can apply, interview, and go off to school on whatever airframe the unit flies(fighter or heavy). Basic stuff needed: AFOQT+BAT=PCSM, recommendations, <33 trips around the sun(so it looks now), eyesight used to be 20/70 distant uncorrected, 20/20 near but I'm sure that's changed too. It was very competitive when times were good so I'd imagine it's that much harder now. But hey, someone has to win right?

But if your family can't hack 2 week trips, they won't do well with deployments either.

Last edited:
let me know if you need help resetting those c/b's in your avtar siouxicide.
I'm here for ya!

Catpzaahlie

Thanks for the insight. Never know what is best until you do the wrong thing.

You are welcome and also very right, those "hindsight/20,20 ", "nothing ventured/gained" & "better safe/sorry" rules all apply.

Merry Christmas to ya and I hope the best decision winds up under your families tree!

try looking off shore, also, use the placement/contacting companies companies. you and your young family might get the int'l experience together and gain the pic time as well.

Putting the family first might mean some short-term pain - in my case bypassing an upgrade pre-911 "to spend more time with my family" meant the upgrade opp. went away and never came back. Had I bit the bullet and taken the upgrade I would have 1000+ PIC jet and a lot more choices than I have now.

Latest resources

Back