• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting the call from US Airways?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FWIW, PHX is almost out of reserve FO's today. Plenty of Captains.

I just looked at the bus for July 9th. Twenty eight FOs available, and eleven not used. Twenty six captains available, and also eleven not used. I did not look at the Boeings though. I'm a reserve captain, and I can't buy a break in the action.

Last edited:
"Kind of Weird" translates as "SNAFU".

As for Jr. man pay, the company is only shooting itself in the foot there, because they can't crew the flights when there's no incentive to ever pick up the phone.

That was my only point. I would happily do it, at certain times, given proper compensation. Instead, I would rather call out sick when I know they are behind the 8 ball.

I used to make $183 and hour at a previous job (triple pay). That is more than an A-330 captain makes here! I was all over that like a Democrat on my tax revenue!

Last edited:
Never mind I found the CBS msg. buried in my mailbox. Yeah this place is Schizo. New hires walking in one side of the building while LOA's strolling out the other side. Things that make you go HMMMMMM.

Never mind I found the CBS msg. buried in my mailbox. Yeah this place is Schizo. New hires walking in one side of the building while LOA's strolling out the other side. Things that make you go HMMMMMM.

I would never defend this AWA management team because they are as bad or worse than we've seen...but there really is some staffing issues coming very soon that might make some management pogue do some of these things. It takes about three months to take a new hire pilot to become a line pilot. If they get a line pilot to take a month off without pay while they are preparing for (but maybe quite hasn't happend yet) retirements/medicals/new duty rules and can get back that fully trained and current pilot in September then maybe it can explain it...a little. The LOA offer is for one month...August.

But it did say to expect them to offer it for Sept. and Oct also. There might be some cost shuffling going on in the back ground too. They know they need the staffing but they don't need it right now, they need it in a few months, taking on the new hire, and getting some TOS f/o's to take a month or two off, saves them 50.00/hr or thereabouts per body. Not alot, but when 10% of the bonus program for your top executives is tied to Labor Costs, I'm sure they crunch all sorts of number long into the night to get those last shekels they can earn...

(Not to make this an East vs. West thread)

Some people told me the temporary LOA is due to decreased flying out of PHX for the fall and west crews flying some east routes. West are at min hours.

Latest resources

Back