Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Clearance when Tower is Closed!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The name is DO MAAS, and no it is not French!

Clearance is different than release. I'll get my damn clearance whenever they give it to me. If they release me, thats there prerogative. Many time after reading back the clearance I'll add "I'll call when we're number 1 for takeoff". It's not required, but it avoids the problem you described.

It's happened to me many times behind ASA newbies as well.

Mesa and CHQ are the biggest offenders...especially in AVL....Who says experience doesn't count?...They don't teach real word in the puppy farms in Florida....

I've watched Mesa take off twice in AVL without turning on the lights....:rolleyes:

There is no substitute for experience......

Getting a clearance from Center while at the gate will only "close" the airport down as you put it if you don't get a hold for release clearance. Center should always give you a hold for release clearance unless you tell them you are #1 at the runway and ready.

Smartest post on this thread! This is BASIC IFR knowledge. HOLD FOR RELEASE. As a matter of respect for others departing around the same time, please take the initiative and ASK FOR IT as you pick up your clearance. Saves both time and fuel instead of trying to do it all at the end of the runway.

Weeeelllll I got some bad news. Center will give the clearance.....because FO IDUNNO and CAPTAIN DDDUUUMMMAAASSS don't tell them they're still at the gate!!!

And center doesn't always feel like babysitting and playing twenty questions....questions like...how ya doin?......been flyin long???....what kinda music you like??....You still at the gate???

And what makes it all so much more freakin fun is when our two heroes then turn the radio to another frequency while center repeatedly tries to call them, about why they haven't taken off yet!!!!....while sitting at the gate!!!

Weeeellllllll, more bad news... until someone "teaches" these guys, you're SOL!!! Maybe you should stop at there gate each time and run a "when to obtain an IFR clearance when tower is closed" class.

Weeeelllll I got some bad news. Center will give the clearance.....because FO IDUNNO and CAPTAIN DDDUUUMMMAAASSS don't tell them they're still at the gate!!!

And center doesn't always feel like babysitting and playing twenty questions....questions like...how ya doin?......been flyin long???....what kinda music you like??....You still at the gate???

And what makes it all so much more freakin fun is when our two heroes then turn the radio to another frequency while center repeatedly tries to call them, about why they haven't taken off yet!!!!....while sitting at the gate!!!

I fly into a few uncontrolled airports and every clearance I've received from the Center folks has always been a hold for release. I've never had to specifically ask for it.

IF you're being stuck, I can't imagine these clearances are being given with an indefinite void time.

By the way you write, I think this is more of a flame post than a real concern.

"Cleared as filed... squawk 1234... what runway and how long?"

"Runway 36, 15 minutes"

"Hold for release, call number one ready to go"

-Brett

My cokc is far larger than yours. Ask my wife. She laughs at the way you still try to "push the button," but fail miserably to get the job done. The upside is that I get home to a frustrated wife, and make it happen manually. Again.

Having said that, as a Dash8 driver,

I freaking HATE it when some FMS beholden twat lands and taxis in... while a 121 flight is still clearly holding over the OM to get in waiting for said dewsh to cancel. UNV much, idiots?

The cure? Route clearance, hold for release. PDT has been conditioned to call as early as possible for a clearance to CLT. If anyone has been affected by the lack of SA, I refuse to apoligize- but offer a prayer:

May you get block or better, and the sense to turn off the gate. May the captain have a remote understanding of fuel burn, cash money without end,

Amen.

they don't teach us anything about "real world" stuff like that in upgrade. It's just more V1 cuts and single-engine approaches plus CRM

uh? .......uh...wow..

Latest resources

Back