Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Getting Clearance when Tower is Closed!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
( I would rather get the clearance while parked, rather than doing the changes while taxiing....especially at night, and in an unfamiliar airport).

Now if guys are still at the gate, and saying they are ready, now you got an arguement.

same here - every mistake that I can remember wrt flying on my part has come from doing something out of order/procedure or being (or allowing myself to be)rushed.

Um....This isn't rocket science. As others have noted you ask for a "hold for release".

Even if some guy is on the ground with a void time, and you are in-bound, if it's VFR out, you cancel IFR. Bingo! You can now land, not to hard right?

If you are departing and you are stuck behind some guy who's taking their sweet time or still at "the gate", if it's vfr, ask for a VFR climb.

What's the problem here?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was at PDT, wasn't it against the GOM to take off VFR and THEN get the IFR clnce while airborne?

GOM? We had one of those while you were here? LOL

There are guidlines I believe in taking off VFR and getting your Clearance Airborne. I know that we used be able to do it, but your Dispatcher had to know directly why this was going on. Plus the Weather had to be really good VFR.

I never needed to do it, but I have heard of people that have. Kinda hard to know why one would want or need to do it. Especially since we all carry cellphones these days.

Key flight service telephone numbers
  • Report a problem or complaint:
    888/358-7782 (888/FLT-SRVC)
  • Briefing/file a flight plan:
    800/992-7433 (800/WX-BRIEF)
  • IFR clearance delivery:
    888/766-8267
This number is run by Lockheed Martin. When you are taxing out, call it.

Yep.

Exactly what you want to be doing as you taxi......yapping on your cell phone.:laugh:

Look, why all the fuss. Can you do it while actually moving in the plane. "Yes" Would that be dumb "Yes".

Come on you peanut heads. Taxi to the Hold Short Line. Finish all your checks, grab your phone and make a call.

Duh!

Like old Salty Dog Frank would say, "Just use common Fukin Sense".

yeah and there has never been any other regional take off of a runway with the lights off right?

Mesa and CHQ are the biggest offenders...especially in AVL....Who says experience doesn't count?...They don't teach real word in the puppy farms in Florida....

I've watched Mesa take off twice in AVL without turning on the lights....:rolleyes:

There is no substitute for experience......

Last edited:
Um....This isn't rocket science. As others have noted you ask for a "hold for release".

Even if some guy is on the ground with a void time, and you are in-bound, if it's VFR out, you cancel IFR. Bingo! You can now land, not to hard right?

If you are departing and you are stuck behind some guy who's taking their sweet time or still at "the gate", if it's vfr, ask for a VFR climb.

What's the problem here?

Seems there are only a few of us on here that actually understand the regs! It's very simple, yet so many cumbersome(albeit legal) answers have been posted. Most of the answers are adequate for GA flying, but not 121. "HOLD FOR RELEASE", is the simplest and MOST professional way to handle picking up a clearance when the tower is closed.

Picking up a clearance using this method has several advantages: 1) Ability to set up nav radios/FMS based off your actual ATC CLEARANCE while still at the gate. 2) Not delaying other departures at that airport. 3) Saves fuel and time by not having to do everything at the end of the runway. 4) Having your HEAD UP while taxiing!!!

Come on guys, we're professionals, do it the professional way! If the controller does not give you a "hold for release" clearance then YOU request it.

It's very simple, why all the questions? Act like the professionals we're supposed to be, please review BASIC IFR procedures.

EDIT: cldsfr79 brings up another valid point..."VFR climb", yet another useful tool professionals should understand and implement when necessary(wx permitting).

Last edited:
(In my best Handy-Man voice)

Yeth!

Yooouuu Freakin eedeeeoootttsss!!!

but eeeffff da weder is such dat I kannot get ooowwwttt VVEEEEFFFFFRRRRR...den I aaammm thtuck on da ground unteeeeellllll Keptin DUUUMMMAAASSSS calls AAYYYY TTEEEE CEEEE.

Latest resources

Back