getting a 604 or Global type myself

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

intooclose

I am a CRJ captain at a regional and sick of it. I used to do pilot services prior to this regional job in a Challenger(for a very short time, 55 hrs as a FO). Is it worth getting a type on my own in the Challenger and trying to get a 91 job or more pilot services on my own. Do people to down a little at airline guys, I do know the flying is different. Some advice would really help. I would perfer the Atlanta area also.

Thanks,
Captain Never Home

I would say that a type without any actual experience isn't going to mean much. Most of the better corporate operations hire the right person, then train them on the aircraft. You will see some job posting that say so and so type rating required or prefered. It could help in those cases.

Now, if you have already made some connections for your pilot services business, and only need the training, it might be worthwhile. If you live in an area where there are plenty of those two types around to fly contract on. If you take the steps to make your contract flying business a real business, then you could gain some tax advantages in expensing you training costs.

Dont spend that money. I guessing a GLEX rating is about 45K these days..plus expenses for 3+ weeks. You dont want to spend that type of money in hopes of getting some contract work.

I ditto the above on a type without time is pretty useless. Most places dont hire on ratings...It may help, especially some PIC time in type or International experience, but finding the right person is priority as sending them to school is not the breaking factor.

Reality, YES you are a disadvantage having an airline background, but its certainly not a showstopper. Do your best to put a charter or other entry level bizjet job as your last employer. All companies are flooded with airline resumes right now, and they all go to the same file - the garbage.

Get some "other than airline" experience on your resume, hit up friends and contacts, be persistent. Its not the easiest switch usually, but certainly possible and you will like it much more!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
intooclose said:
I am a CRJ captain at a regional and sick of it. I used to do pilot services prior to this regional job in a Challenger(for a very short time, 55 hrs as a FO). Is it worth getting a type on my own in the Challenger and trying to get a 91 job or more pilot services on my own. Do people to down a little at airline guys, I do know the flying is different. Some advice would really help. I would perfer the Atlanta area also.

Thanks,
Captain Never Home

Gulfstream 200 has a valid point about the airline resumes going into the trash, but there are plenty of companies that will look at airlines guys, depending on the situation. The companies that have been burned will probably not. What is going to set you apart is the fact that you are not on the street. The fact that you have a job and are wanting to willing leave will help, especially if you talk to them. If they scan your resume and see airline work on there, it may ge tthe garbage without further consideration. If you manage to walk your CV in some place and get face time with someone that fires/hires, you need to explain to him that you are employed and in no danger of getting furloughed. You are wanting to make a change to corporate for whatever reason, just as long as they know you are done with the airlines.

You might consider a CL60 type. Gives you lots more options and it is going to be cheaper than a 604 type. You could do a 600 initial and 601 differences and that would cover all of your bases. There are more CL60s than CL64s out there. There is lots of 600/601 work out there, especially in the Dallas area. And don't take this the worng way, but there are a lot of "low or lower rent" operators getting into aircraft for the 1st time or upgrading to a larger aircraft and they buy 600s or 601-1As because they are so cheap (3M-5.5M), have huge cabins, and a great ramp presence to impress their friends who don't know the difference in a 600 and a 604. Some of these owners are only willing to employ 1 pilot and contract out the Gear/switch/radio monkey. It's cheaper to pay a contract pilot 500-800/day than to hire/train a full time guy. Just something to think about. Not all 600/601-1A operators are like that, but there are plenty that do operate in such a fashion. I've yet to see a 604 operator conducting flight operations in a manner such as that. Good luck.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a full time job, G200 is right on.

If you are thinking about doing contract work, first step is to figure out how much the type rating will cost you, and how many days you'll have to work just to pay that training off.

The contract thing only makes sense if you know someone who will use you consistently. Even then, it's marginal when you consider the cost of training, health insurance, etc.

Okay, I don't mean to be contrary, but I do know two guys, no actually three guys who either bought GV or GEX ratings and are working on a full time basis either contracting or with a steady gig. I do think the acceptance curve is quite steep and there could be some significant slow spells until you have enough time and networking to keep the money flowing in. Don't know you of course or what kind of personality that you bring with you, but no risk, no rewards has always served me pretty good in the past.

What ever, good luck.

Spooky 1 said:
Okay, I don't mean to be contrary, but I do know two guys, no actually three guys who either bought GV or GEX ratings and are working on a full time basis either contracting or with a steady gig. I do think the acceptance curve is quite steep and there could be some significant slow spells until you have enough time and networking to keep the money flowing in. Don't know you of course or what kind of personality that you bring with you, but no risk, no rewards has always served me pretty good in the past.

What ever, good luck.

I don't know any. I don' t mean to be confrontational but to pay for your
types without experience is a BIG waste of money. No experienced 91 op will look at you without time in type- International/Domestic EXPERIENCE; I wish you good luck but try to find an outfit where you can grow. It's tough to find but you'll be happier (and richer) when you find the op for you. Airline experience has always been attractive to my employers- I am sure they are not alone. GOOD LUCK.

I'm confused,Spooky said he knows someone who has done this and earhart says it impossible. What a conundrum.

Spooky 1 said:

What ever, good luck.

I believe it...but....

I doubt these guys were regional pilots who would be spending more than a years salary (40K or so) on a type rating.

This guy is crazy for even considering buying any type ratings. How long to break even? who is going to pay 15K recurrent each year?

Plus he is in Atlanta. I cant imagine there is too much contract need there...not the mecca of corp flying....

Simply put, there is much smarter ways to get the airline stink off of yourself.

There are lots of guys that pay for their own ratings and do it for a living. It's usually someone already typed and looses their job, then the recurrents are on them, but it is done often. Jeff Beck is one fo them. www.gulfstreamcontractpilot.com. He stays very very busy and has a 5 day min. He has been doing this since the early 90's and he is GV typed, so he picked up the cost of that on his own. He is just an example. There is a lot of this going on. Also, some places want time in type, but there are countless FSi and Simuflite right seaters that get offers all the time to seat fill on a trip, and they just have sim time. Lots of those guys get their starts like that. Remember, when dealing with Aviation, not everyone considers safety (time in type) before they think about money (someone to fill a seat). There are plenty of bottom feeding CPs that dont want anyone who can take their job flying on the aircraft he pilots, so he hires some kid for the day that can barely talk on the radio. It's out there, you might not see it, but it is alive and well.

Latest resources

Back