getting a 604 or Global type myself

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
earhart said:
No experienced 91 op will look at you without time in type- International/Domestic EXPERIENCE;
Check that. It should read Professional or respectable, not experienced. Any cheap low rent bottom feeding 91 operator will stick a multi-INST pilot in the right seat as a SOP or if the situation called for it. Seen it 100xs when I was working line in the late 90s in a large Midwest town. I know of a Challenger doing 135 work with a CFI in the right seat and the Capt does not have lots of experience himself. That's right. After several months, they finally sent the F/O to school, a Re-current, not an initial. How safe it that?

1st jet I ever flew was a Challenger, and I only had 3 bounces, 3 ILS and some steep turns. Looking back, I had no business being in that airplane with no school, but at the time, like a lot of other hungry guys, you do what you can to build that multi time, and at $750/day, I was on cloud 9. I can remember thingink how easy that plane was to fly and if the rumors about what corp pilots get paid are true, this is one of the best kept secrets in the world. Oh to be young again.

Last edited:
You might try getting an instructor job at one of the FSI or Simuflight Training Centers (then they pay to type you). The pay is much higher than what you are making at a regional airline. The hours are no worse. It can lead to a good corporate job or a lot of contract flying.

I disagree that being at an airline will hurt your chances. It did hurt me one bit. The only time that it would be a problem is if you are on furlough from an airline. There are plenty of old-school corporate CPs out there that don't like airline pilots, but a professional will evalulate you and hire you on the merits.

psysicx said:
That contract pilot.
I have no idea. I know a lot of guys new to the contract world use Simuflite because it is much cheaper. FSI is nice if you fly 2 aircraft, cause they will let you train on both for the price of 1, the more expensive one if you get a full service contract.

psysicx said:
Gotcha isn't there a way to incorporate yourself w/o getting taxed 20%?
From what I understand, the way to do that is to start an S-Corp or maybe it is called an C-Corp.. Who knows? I know very little about it, but I think the idea is that you start the C or S Corp then become the only employee of that Corp. Have the company you fly for, we'll call them The ABC Widgets Corp, pay the Corp you set up directly. Then, pay yourself from the Corp. you set up. In the mean time, have your C/S Corp pay for your training, your car lease* (See Below), fuel for your car, your hotels bills during training, maybe your utility bill, the AMEX you give your mistress (did I say that out loud?), etc. You get the idea.

ABC WIDGETS pays YOUR CORP which pays YOU/YOUR BILLS.

That might al be wrong, but that is how it has been explained to me. Good Luck.

As for the car lease, you can have your Corp lease your car, then deduct the cost of the lease from the Corporation's taxes. It used to be, and still might be, that if you bought/leased a large SUV (Surburban, Hummer, ETC) you got a HUGE tax deduction. The deduction is/was triggered by the weight of the SUV (cuts the Japaneese/Korean/ETC automakers out of benefits so you had to buy American), so ask a dealer if you go that route. A nice loophole would be the new Range Rovers. Those are bad dudes, and the lady folk lovvvvvvvve 'em.

Okay.....I don't think it would be appropriate to identify these guys other than one of them was a retired USAir guy with a lot of "credentials" before he typed in the GV. One of the others was a 9/11 furloughed CAL guy who actually had the state of NJ pay for his rating under a program for those who lost their jobs via the 9/11 event, so he actually did not write the check himself but the circumstances were effectively the same.

I know a VP Fight Ops for a large management company who would embrace this concept for guys that are coming out of the airlines with significant international experience. This is obviously not for everyone.

Again, no risk, no rewards. This might may or may not be the best road traveled for a pilot who has has spent a significant amount of time in the regional business, but all it takes is one good break to make the difference in a lifetime career.

I don't embrace PFT, but I am not sure why this is different from getting an advanced degree in some particular field. If you think it will enhance your chances, so be it.

Buy a Type?

I know one former USAir that bought a GV type and is doing well in SoCal. He did have a lot of contacts, also was a two star in the Navy and that did not hurt Viper either.

It would be a big crap shoot for most.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back