• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get ready for Age 67+

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It wasn't handled appropriately however. As a result of such, you will not see it go past 65. Too many people have been hurt by the change and the way it was handled.

I think you're right, Emp. However, it may go higher because the people who make the rules don't give a crap about how many pilot careers were hurt.

I wanna fly until they pry the yoke from my cold, dead fingers.

Actually, HELL NO! I'm in my thirties and ready to punch outta this crazy business already. Who in their right mind would want to fly 'til they die?

Actually, HELL NO! I'm in my thirties and ready to punch outta this crazy business already. Who in their right mind would want to fly 'til they die?

So go. There's someone who will gladly take your seniority number.

I think you're right, Emp. However, it may go higher because the people who make the rules don't give a crap about how many pilot careers were hurt.

The roadblock will be much too high this time.

It's like anything else, you handle it well and you will have a chance later. That did not happen.

Swapa nor alpa will be willing to support further changes. Remember the reasons for changing? A pilot shortage? With unemployment nearing 10%, even a dem president would walk away from the trouble this would further cause.

I agree, since all you really need to do to get a US first class medical is fog a mirror. Forget the 60 year olds, what about the 35 year olds walking in the terminals that are 60 pounds over weight and carrying a McDonalds bag. Every month when I come home for my days off it takes me e few minutes to get over the initial shock

Yep. Hence the double entendre in my post. Reread it. I hope you'll find the humor.

The real reason it changed wasn't SWAPA, ALPA or a pilot shortage. The simple reason it changed was to bring our regs in line with ICAO regs. That's why it sailed through Congress without a blink.

But, your comment about implementation is well thought out. However, I think it bears repeating that the "powers that be" don't give a hoot about pilot career progression. All they care about is butts in the seats.

The real reason it changed wasn't SWAPA, ALPA or a pilot shortage. The simple reason it changed was to bring our regs in line with ICAO regs. That's why it sailed through Congress without a blink.

But, your comment about implementation is well thought out. However, I think it bears repeating that the "powers that be" don't give a hoot about pilot career progression. All they care about is butts in the seats.

Nope. It was sold as saving the social security system some coin. That makes another age change a pretty easy sell on Capital Hill.
For the major airlines, the reduced training events save more than a few hull losses. So they supported the change.
It all comes down to money.

It sailed through once alpa supported. Yes ICAO regs were a driving force.

No point to revisit this. It doesn't do any of us any good.

Nope. It was sold as saving the social security system some coin. That makes another age change a pretty easy sell on Capital Hill.
For the major airlines, the reduced training events save more than a few hull losses. So they supported the change.
It all comes down to money.

Sorry, Andy, but neither of those opinions make any sense.

1. Airline pilots aren't eligible for early SS. How does that save SS money? You lost me on that one.
2. How many U.S. hull losses have there been since the rule changed? One. And that was attributed to YOUNG pilot error not OLD pilot error. So that argument is bogus as well.

What else you got?

Age 65 came about because ICAO went Age 65. If ICAO goes Age 70, the U.S. standard will change just as quickly.

Latest resources

Back