• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get ready for Age 67+

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We have a book of exceptions to ICAO rules (ie. rules we don't follow or change to suit our needs), Age 60 could have been just another exception. Why do the Euros get to tell us how to operate airplanes anyway? This "line up and wait" bull$h!t is another example.

Also, JAA (or FAA for that matter) medical standards are WAAAAAY over the top. The environment isn't exactly flying the Hump in a C-47 anymore. The whole process is an unnecessary exercise that keeps AME's in lucrative cash businesses and a whole lot of people in Ok City employed.

You want to keep everybody 'safe' (wink wink), do like law enforcement agencies, fire departments, and air traffic control does....retire the worker bees early.

I say we strike if this happens....This reeks of GREED...plain and simple GREED. If you can't afford to retire at 65 then YOU have done something wrong.

I agree. YOUR GREED. YOU want the Captain seat. And you think you're owed it NOW. Sorry, Charlie, but them's the breaks. YOU chose to enter the airline business in a time of unprecedented upheaval and change.

Too bad for you. That doesn't mean YOU'RE owed anything. Not an upgrade, not a better line, not off reserve. You KNEW the volatility of the airline business going in. And if you didn't then you're just plain stupid.

And you can't fix stupid.

Why do the Euros get to tell us how to operate airplanes anyway? This "line up and wait" bull$h!t is another example.

Its called standardization and it prevents accidents. Considering the accident record at FedEx, I would think you'd appreciate that.

You want to keep everybody 'safe' (wink wink), do like law enforcement agencies, fire departments, and air traffic control does....retire the worker bees early.

Again, agreed. With the caveat that the pension program is the same as with cops, firefighters and ATC...100% pay at regulated retirement date. I'm down with that.

Again, agreed. With the caveat that the pension program is the same as with cops, firefighters and ATC...100% pay at regulated retirement date. I'm down with that.

This is the real problem we have right now. You've got this huge emotional investment in making your point that 65 should be retirement age. Nevermind that it is now, you still argue like it's not. And then you make this statement?! Go check out rrb.gov and see what we're ALL missing out on. That sort of effort is out there. The problem is old guys like you lack the ability to listen to an idea from a young guy. And, you've all got this seniority stealing bloodlust after changing retirement age you're blinded to good ideas.

You are probably going to get means tested out of your military pension, and we're all going to get means tested out of SS more than likely. How about we all start pulling in the same direction?

The problem is old guys like you lack the ability to listen to an idea from a young guy. And, you've all got this seniority stealing bloodlust after changing retirement age you're blinded to good ideas.
You don't think comments about licking a cat and starving, shoeless children of airline pilots undermine your credibility to advance such ideas, do you?

When you say that a senior pilot remaining senior steals someone else's seniority, you prove a lack of understanding about the nature of seniority. Would you prefer a merit system, rather than seniority?

Listen, what I would prefer is that we all start towing the line in the same direction! OK? We can't keep raising the age. It's just not going to work to have 20-25% of the profession working against the majority over raising the age. I didn't say "starving children". I said "age 65 took food off kid's plates and shoes off their feet". And it did! The bottom half of this profession is living a demonstratively different lifestyle than the top half ever did! We have 14 year FOs that make less than 60K. Not the "six figures" you challenged me to tell a ramper in an earlier post.

I've tried to work this professionally through the right channels and it failed miserably. I can only coddle to you old guys so much. You've been made aware what the right thing to do is. You all have to own up to this at some point. The whole deal was really poorly done. Bad decision making prevailed and no one thought it out. The rule was written to not let any retired pilot come back with seniority. So how many came back? Basically zero. So obviously they didn't want the job unless it guaranteed them something they previously had no claim to. In other words, they were stealing it. You can't sugar coat it! Do a little research. Seniority in the airline world is not really what employment seniority is meant to be. If some form of real world employment law were in effect for airline workers, there is no way a retirement age increase would have been allowed to take place in a time of redundancy. I prefer seniority. But seniority got called off when we decided retirement date was less important than DOH and then did not arbitrate the order and award. My belief is that arbitration would have resulted in the age change being phased in, shich would have been far more fair. Some guys got 5 years at the top, some got 5 years of furlough. Are we not any better than that?

If you are a captain, then I doubt you're a very good one. Captains have to be ready to acknowledge what the right thing to do is, even if they don't really like the person.

Last edited:
I agree. YOUR GREED. YOU want the Captain seat. And you think you're owed it NOW. Sorry, Charlie, but them's the breaks. YOU chose to enter the airline business in a time of unprecedented upheaval and change.

Too bad for you. That doesn't mean YOU'RE owed anything. Not an upgrade, not a better line, not off reserve. You KNEW the volatility of the airline business going in. And if you didn't then you're just plain stupid.

And you can't fix stupid.

So you think i KNEW that the retirement age was going to be raised? LOL...your ignorance is almost unbelievable.

Whats the point of raising the retirement age? What good does it do besides allow you greedy folks to continue to rake in cash with minimal work?

But its cool...you're emotionally charged up because you probably cant afford to retire at 65...if that's the case...consider yourself a walking, breathing failure. I'm not worried however...67+ will not pass.

Last edited:
When you say that a senior pilot remaining senior steals someone else's seniority, you prove a lack of understanding about the nature of seniority.

I'd say quite the contrary, he understands it perfectly. Or do you expect people to ignore facts just so Capt Rottencrotch can feel better about himself?

Latest resources

Back