• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Get ready for Age 67+

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, Andy, but neither of those opinions make any sense.

1. Airline pilots aren't eligible for early SS. How does that save SS money? You lost me on that one.
2. How many U.S. hull losses have there been since the rule changed? One. And that was attributed to YOUNG pilot error not OLD pilot error. So that argument is bogus as well.

What else you got?

Age 65 came about because ICAO went Age 65. If ICAO goes Age 70, the U.S. standard will change just as quickly.

You become eligible for SS at age 62. That's early SS. Need a link? I'll provide one.

Airlines crunch the numbers. Cost-benefit analysis. They already have a precomputed 'pricetag' for a hull loss.

I'm sorry that you have to find out this way, but the US is an ICAO member

No kidding? That's exactly my point. The ONLY reason Age 65 went through so fast was ICAO passed it. Foreign pilots were exercising their privileges in US airspace while US pilots were forbidden.

Of all the ICAO members, only 4 voted against Age 65, the US being one. Eventually, if we wanted to remain in ICAO we had to relent.

So the Congress made it happen in record time.

I agree, since all you really need to do to get a US first class medical is fog a mirror.
Really? Clue me in on how to fake a diabetes test or the EKG that is sent directly to OKC without any involvement with the local AME. Yeah, you could add some more blood tests, but you'd have to either make the medical conditional based on the results of said tests, or have to come back in so that the AME could sign your medical certifying you on the basis of all the results. It could be done, but are there a lot of pilots keeling over on the job relative to the general population?

I know a wide variety of pilots who have lost their medicals; from the stereotypical slob to the guy who looks like he should be the starting QB for the Colts. Just because it's easy doesn't mean it always will be.

Really? Clue me in on how to fake a diabetes test or the EKG that is sent directly to OKC without any involvement with the local AME. Yeah, you could add some more blood tests, but you'd have to either make the medical conditional based on the results of said tests, or have to come back in so that the AME could sign your medical certifying you on the basis of all the results. It could be done, but are there a lot of pilots keeling over on the job relative to the general population?

I know a wide variety of pilots who have lost their medicals; from the stereotypical slob to the guy who looks like he should be the starting QB for the Colts. Just because it's easy doesn't mean it always will be.

I was making a humorous comment just to make my point but regardless of what is involved, the medical standard for a first class medical in the US are a lot lower than those of other countries, I don't know if you have any other license than the US ATP. I have taken medicals under three different CAA's and just by personal observation I can assure you that our standards in the US are quite relaxed in comparison

I was making a humorous comment just to make my point but regardless of what is involved, the medical standard for a first class medical in the US are a lot lower than those of other countries, I don't know if you have any other license than the US ATP. I have taken medicals under three different CAA's and just by personal observation I can assure you that our standards in the US are quite relaxed in comparison

Just because they are tougher doesn't mean they are relevant. For instance, laser eye correction used to forbidden under the JAA 20 years ago. Did that make sense? Is it still forbidden? Meanwhile over here, Astronauts are permitted I believe to have the procedure. It's just like 30 years ago having to have 20/20 to get in the door at almost all airlines and the military. It just narrowed the pool. It didn't have a damn thing to do with safety. My best friend barely squeaked by the eye exam going into the Air Force 30 years ago.
He said "doc, alls I ever wanted to be was a fighter pilot. What happens next year if my vision goes to 20/40?" the doc said son after you walk out of here and I sign this piece of paper, i don't care if you have a guide dog and a white cane, if your good enough to fly fighters, you'll fly fighters. He was and he did. He later went to American. He got there just after they stopped doing the Astronaut physicals. 5 or 6 years earlier, he wouldn't have passed the physical because of his eyesight. Imagine, all the time in f4's and an f16 ip at Luke. A triathlete and champion surfer, yet not physically qualified to get hired by American?

To the original post, I, as well as most guys I knew were against age 65 from the time we heard about it. I did one phone survey by ALPA and the next thing I know it was implemented, IMMEDIATELY.
I think it would be a hard sell to push it further without a HUGE public awareness campaign by many pilots, union endorsed or not.

You become eligible for SS at age 62. That's early SS. Need a link? I'll provide one.

We have had right around 200 retire from CAL after the age was changed to 65. For those who pay attention, those pilots set a good example. Unfortunately we have guys like Fubi we all have to take care of, who it's abundantly clear doesn't even understand SS.

Latest resources

Back