• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Germanwings plane crashed intentionally by F/O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And you should keep your comments to yourself and some enough weed to see your b@lls turn black from testicular cancer!

Im so tired of the college degree argument that everyone gets a hard on over. A college degree does not make one a professional, all it says is that someone can read some material and pass a few exams...oh and rack up loads in student debt. I know plenty of "professions" that pay more than piloting and dont require a degree for that level of prestige. I have an AAS in Paramedicine and make more now than I would if i stayed in the airline game. Give me the pilot that has real "life" experience than the guy who partied his way through a 4 year institution any day. Now that Ive got that rant over, lets address the elephant in the room - mental health. Piloting, as with many other "macho" careers have always viewed any sort of weakness as taboo and something that is just not discussed out of fear of being punished (ie, having your medical pulled). Ive seen it far too often in EMS where someone was afraid of discussing their issues so they overdosed on lead instead. I know as a first responder we have options available to us to confidentiality discuss issues that may be affecting us without involving our agency. Maybe its time to initiate something like that in other sectors such as aviation....and no I dont mean company sponsored EAP programs. Those are garbage.

Much of that is true homes, but you are a quitter. Shoulda stayed bro, its all gettn good now!

Two

So where do you think the super-man pilots of the future will come from? When will they have to do more than program a box and push the AP button? Flying boxes? Instructing? Crop Dusting? Who is going to invest $100K in ratings either through college programs or ATP and then make the conscious decision to take the long tough slog through all the crummy jobs just to hone their skill while their classmates unpack the Van Husen Aviator and run off to fly a shiny RJ where they can hone their skills by loading the box and pushing the AP button?

I was told recently that 50 flight slots at the AF Academy went unfilled because those attending would prefer to go into a more rewarding profession post-service.

Perhaps the drones are showing up right on time!

Are people out there actually paying 100K for their ratings? :eek:

If pilots are that gullible, I suppose it would help explain our current SWAPA contract negotiations.

I was told recently that 50 flight slots at the AF Academy went unfilled because those attending would prefer to go into a more rewarding profession post-service.

Perhaps the drones are showing up right on time!

Hey, maybe it's not too late for me to redo my misspent Ute.... and go to the AF Academy, afterall. I might as well, been paying for everybody else to go. :bomb:

"Back to School" . . . AFA style. :beer:

Anyone seen my hacky-sack? :eek::erm:

:laugh:

Last edited:
But he would never have been flying 121 in the US with 800 hours.

I don't know how you or anyone else thinks that we're going to be viewed as more than bus drivers without requiring a college degree. "Sure, it's a hard job, but you don't have to be educated to do it". Great. All I need to know is how to apply for foodstamps.
Low barriers to entry = low wages.

These days, yes. But remember we were hiring 250 hr pilots into RJs back in 2006-2007. And way back in the day certain mainline carriers were hiring low time pilots directly into the SO/FE position.

Hmmmmm. Now some internet chatter that he MAY HAVE BEEN a jihadi? Still waiting for the German investigators to confirm garden-variety nutbaggery or more of the same from the "religion of peace."

Are you serious? 149 innocent people are dead and you are bickering if it was dirka dirka dirka or just a garden-variety nutbaggery? Let me guess, Muslims can't be mentally ill or unstable and so it must have been terrorism?

Latest resources

Back