G-4 versus the newer G's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

Differences (other than years?) Is a G450 just a newer G4? Looking at them on the ramp its hard to tell the difference...

The G450 doesn't have the closet full o' electrical crap behind the FO's seat and does have the Planeview instruments of the G550 and (later) GV's. Same type as the G350/550, but need differences for the other two.

Thanks NJ.. what kind of avionics does the straight G4 have? just a 4 tube Collins or have most of them been retrofitted? How about FMC, is it still IRUs or GPS?

Thanks NJ.. what kind of avionics does the straight G4 have? just a 4 tube Collins or have most of them been retrofitted? How about FMC, is it still IRUs or GPS?

I think they're all Honeywell, its just that the 450 has an Epic-based "Planeview" and the G-IV isn't unlike what you'd see in a 757.

Easiest way to tell the difference between a G-IV and G450 is TRs; they are stainless on the -IV and painted on the 450.

GIVs have 6 TV screens, it's a honeywell product with 2 versions that are very similar, the newer one has a few more bells & whistles. 3 IRS and 2 GPS. There is an ASC(maybe it's still being developed, not sure) to replace the old style tubes with LCD screens but I haven't seen one like that yet. I am not a 450 guy but I think the performance and range, etc.. are pretty close. The obvious way to tell the difference on the ramp is the TRs but i've seen a few crafty people paint the TRs on a IV.

Last edited:
aa73--Why are you still asking about corporate from strangers on the street.

NEVER compare the flat screen 757 to the Planeview system. Go to the Gulfstream website to see. The GIV is probably comparable to the 737-800's.

If you're over 5'10", the GIV is tight. No problem with legroom in the 450/550.

The best way to spot a 450 on the ramp is to look for about two feet of fuselage between the cockpit window and the door. On the IV, there's about six inches between the window and the door. Most IV's will have chrome reversers. The 450 is painted like the nacelle. But this doesn't always work. Some people have painted the reversers on their IV.

To spot a 450/IV, look at the winglets. They are closer to a 90 degree angle and look bolted on. The V/550 winglets are blended like the 757.

That's a start. Please call me if you have any questions. Learning about corporate from the internet... Well, just "no".

;)
TC

A G450 also has the EVS camera mounted below the nose. It also has a tad more range than a GIV, say 200 nm.

Latest resources

Back