• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

G-4 versus the newer G's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
semperfido - you sound like the minority in the corporate world... 25 years, wow! have you been gainfully employed as a corporate pilot that long? seriously, that's awesome and I would love to hear about it. not too often I hear about that long of a career in corporate (my friends are in their 10th year but still relatively young.. 38 or so.)

Actually, I have known many that have been in good long term corp jobs that have lasted that long or longer. People do actually retire from such jobs. We have guys with over 30 yrs at the SAME job where I am presently.

38!, you still have time to find one such job. As it turned out, Airline flying was just not my cup of tea.

There is an ASC(maybe it's still being developed, not sure) to replace the old style tubes with LCD screens but I haven't seen one like that yet... The obvious way to tell the difference on the ramp is the TRs but i've seen a few crafty people paint the TRs on a IV.

Don't know the number for that ASC, but it's available; we did to our G-IVs. We also had the TRs painted - I guess we're crafty :cool:

What is the extra two feet behind the cockpit window filled with on a 450?

Last edited:
Don't know the number for that ASC, but it's available; we did to our G-IVs. We also had the TRs painted - I guess we're crafty :cool:

What is the extra two feet behind the cockpit window filled with on a 450?

Cockpit room, thankfully. You can actually roll the co-pilot's seat back far enough to fit a tray in your lap....

Every time I get back in a classic IV, I'm reminded just how much more comfortable a 450 is. Especially when you're 6'4".

Out of curiosity, how does a G-V compare in that respect?

Even more room. Especially in the left seat. The V/550's are way more comfortable for the crew in every respect but frankly, I HATE the way the V flies compared to the IV or 450. The V is an awesome airframe and an incredible wing but hand flying it always strikes me as stirring wet cement.

Even more room. Especially in the left seat. The V/550's are way more comfortable for the crew in every respect but frankly, I HATE the way the V flies compared to the IV or 450. The V is an awesome airframe and an incredible wing but hand flying it always strikes me as stirring wet cement.

Yes, but I would still prefer the 550. Best plane I have ever had the pleasure to work. Lot of pluses, very few negatives. I especially like the ref speeds on the 550 vs the 450

No doubt the airframe offers jaw-dropping performance in every respect and greater crew comfort. I just prefer hand-flying a 450. Or a IV. Or a IISP. The III....eh, not so much.

Thanks for the info guys. Also, I spoke too soon on the cockpit upgrades. It is my understanding that the PlaneDeck mod was available a few months ago, but was pulled due to software problems. I believe they are getting ready to make it available again.

I'm with gutshot on the 450 feel. The 550 is just a touch light on the controls. I DO like the lower speeds on the 550. I just always felt like the gear and brakes on the IV and 450 were too small for the airframe. Yeah, I know that's not the case, but it just felt that way.

TC

P.S.--fido, I heard DB on the radio the other night over CO. Didn't get a chance to say hi.

Latest resources

Back