• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future regional aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In 10 years there will be no "mainline" domestic flying except for long haul trans continental stuff. It will all be done by "regionals" operating everything from 0-130 seats.

Right now that's not possible unless scope is relaxed. We may have 130 sear RJs flown by mainline pilots though. But as gas prices continue to rise airlines will want to limit frequency and pack larger planes on fewer flights.

Turboprops are a dead platform. Economically, they make a lot of sense but passengers don't like them now just they didn't like them years ago. I would expect that RJ efficiencies will improve with new models getting introduced (like the MRJ). Geared turbofans and ground up composite engineering will have a sizable effect on the economy of this class of aircraft. None of the RJs currently flying were really ever designed to be RJs (except for the big EMB's and they were never designed to be uber efficient). They were just rebuilds from otherwise irrelevant airframes. If the technology in the 787 pans out, you can bet other types will be engineered to take advantage of them.

Do you think airlines actually do anything passengers like? ATR is gearing up for big orders. New generation Props aren't the ones that people hate? I would much rather fly on a Q Dash, or a ATR over many of the small RJs. Some are quieter then RJ's with even bigger cabins.
Oil in 2 years is predicted to hit 120.00 barrel again. I see more turboprops in the larger cat. (50 seats and over). Once oil hits that price it will be a mad scramble to park even more 50 RJ's.
Profit margin is more important and Larger Props in the short haul markets provide it.

two by fours with chain saw engines. IF they leave on time, no one cares. It could be a lawnchair with balloons and a hand held fan for directional control and forward thrust.

Major airlines need feed. Regional feed keeps the icing on the cake. USair, and former Allegheny taught the industry this basic lesson years ago.

Turboprops are a dead platform. Economically, they make a lot of sense but passengers don't like them now just they didn't like them years ago. I would expect that RJ efficiencies will improve with new models getting introduced (like the MRJ). Geared turbofans and ground up composite engineering will have a sizable effect on the economy of this class of aircraft. None of the RJs currently flying were really ever designed to be RJs (except for the big EMB's and they were never designed to be uber efficient). They were just rebuilds from otherwise irrelevant airframes. If the technology in the 787 pans out, you can bet other types will be engineered to take advantage of them.

Turboprops aren't dead. Pax may not like them, but they still get on them, day after day.

50 seat RJ's are dead.

Turboprops aren't dead. Pax may not like them, but they still get on them, day after day.

50 seat RJ's are dead.

And yet hundreds of them are still operating every day. Hmmm.....

And yet hundreds of them are still operating every day. Hmmm.....

Of course there are. Do you think they can all be parked at once? We are talking about the future. And I'm sorry the 50 Seat RJ market will shrink in the Future.

They won't completely go away. Just like the Turboprops never completely went away during the big RJ explosion of the 90's. There will be a market of the 50 Seat RJ's, but it probably wont be the 30 minute puddle jump that a Turboprop Can do in the same time frame while burning 40% less fuel.

Delta and US Airways wants to cut there 50 Seat RJ flying. And soon they will. The future will remain Large RJ's and probably more orders of Large Turboprops (Also know as TurboProfits).

But then again this is the airlines and I don't think any of us have a crystal ball.

Latest resources

Back