Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future plans for the 717 at the new SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't care what they do with those things as long as they make money and the pilots make good money flying them. Hopefully they'll be the same rate as the 737.

An airplane is an airplane.......the money and schedule is the only thing that matters.

What he said.

I, however, wouldn't expect the 71's to be scattered throughout the system as that would provide for a much higher training cost. Maybe not. Seems that SWA has always followed the KISS method and that has served them well in the past. Staying on the 71 in ATL would be my wish as I am much to lazy to go back to training until upgrade.

I've heard a few folks talking about this recently. Can someone in the know at AirTran give me a positive ID on whether this is a real limitation of the ATL gates or not? Would suck if true.

I work in the AirTran Command Center in Atlanta and I can confirm there are limitations on the gates. Out of 22 gates on C concourse, C1, C21, C22, C14 and C2 are the only 737 gates. Many of the C gates used to have "alpha gates"..i.e. C18, C18a, C17, C17a, etc, etc(Old Eastern widebody gates(L1011).

On D concourse we have roughly 10-12 gates. We don't control these gates, TBI airport management(the contracted out company who does ramp control on ramps 3,4 and 5 handle these and confirm assignments of flights at the beginning of each day). D2, D4, D6, D1 or D1a(either 2 717's or 1 737 which blocks one of the gates, D5, D7(which we borrow from Republic/Frontier, D9(we share with Spirit), D11(which we share with Air Canada, and D11a all can hold 737's.

We get 3-4 gates on E concourse for the international arrivals which are later repositioned to D-concourse usually for another turn(90 mins normally to clear customs, get Mx on board and get the airplane moved...can be a big pain the a** with late inbounds).

Had one of our chiefs in our jumpseat. He had just returned from Dallas. He said we are planning on keeping the 717s and are looking at smaller markets to serve. We are also looking at seasonal flying as in Jackson Hole, Wy, etc. We have three 700s that we purchased from Virgin Blue that are ETOPS and we are keeping them ETOPS. He thought we might be keeping them to do proving runs. Hawaii is just around the corner.

The 717 is cheaper to fly on a per departure basis than a 737, the cost crossover point is around 1100 miles. So I would imagine you will see, after some fence, the 717s moved strategically around our system to take advantage of the lower cost per departure and the seat count.

In regards to SLI, I don't think any one thing: seat, relative sen, DOH, career expectations, career earning, final career seniority...etc. will be the only thing used. It will be a mix of all of these. Which seat you are in the day the deal is done will probably be the same seat you are currently sitting in today, but after the fence agreements expire, the "global" seniority list takes over and you sit in the seat at which your seniority can hold. imo

I also believe a "windfall" in regards to monthly pay, qol, schedule, career earnings, retirements, benefits, flexibility... goes along way to convincing an arbitrator that which side of the aircraft you sit on is irrelevant. Except to massage some peoples egos.

I think you are on to something here. My thoughts exactly.

Not trying to stir up things, but if I were a relatively senior SWA FO and I already lived in the Southeast, I'd absolutely bid the 717 Capt position once it opened up (before the combined fleet was standardized on the 737). Why? Because I'd want to fly an advanced aircraft other than the 737 (debatable how advanced the 737NG is - thanks SWA!) before my retirement.

Although I suppose you could argue the Classic 737s (300s and 500s) operated by SWA provide some variety (non-glass vs. glass). Regardless, I've heard from several Air Tran pilots that the 737NG is a let-down after flying the more automated 717.

Most people probably don't care about aircraft type so long as the paycheck is solid - but I would. Flying one aircraft type for 20-30 years (3-5 legs per day) would get boring. In the end, I suppose the boosted pay check and job security are what really count... Anyway, that's my opinion. Good luck on the integration!

Last edited:
I love this forum. A bunch of guys are starting to come to the realization that they are not going to blitzkrieg through the Airtran seniority list. They realize they probably won't be taking ANY Airtran Captain's senority and will have to share upgrade slots that would have gone exclusively to senior Airtran FO's before the merger announcement.

Since their bubble is being busted by more informed people within their own union and on this forum they make each other feel better by continuing to take hits from the bong and spew information that they have no clue about for all of us to read.

I am looking forward to flying with you guys but neither of us asked for this merger and we will all probably end up making some sacrifices for this integration to be successfull. Until the MC's have agreed or the arbitrator has spoken, please put the crack pipes down and stop putting more of a wedge into this issue than there already is.

I love this forum. A bunch of guys are starting to come to the realization that they are not going to blitzkrieg through the Airtran seniority list. They realize they probably won't be taking ANY Airtran Captain's senority and will have to share upgrade slots that would have gone exclusively to senior Airtran FO's before the merger announcement.

Since their bubble is being busted by more informed people within their own union and on this forum they make each other feel better by continuing to take hits from the bong and spew information that they have no clue about for all of us to read.

I am looking forward to flying with you guys but neither of us asked for this merger and we will all probably end up making some sacrifices for this integration to be successfull. Until the MC's have agreed or the arbitrator has spoken, please put the crack pipes down and stop putting more of a wedge into this issue than there already is.

Did that make you feel better? I am not sure which SWA pilots you are talking about, but this one is supremely comfortable in what is going to happen in regards to the SLI. You guys probably need to face reality and start thinking in regards to the total package instead of which side of the aircraft you sit on. If you really think you will get our CBA and get to keep your seniority, you may be disappointed.

Not trying to stir up things, but if I were a relatively senior SWA FO and I already lived in the Southeast, I'd absolutely bid the 717 Capt position once it opened up (before the combined fleet was standardized on the 737). Why? Because I'd want to fly an advanced aircraft other than the 737 (debatable how advanced the 737NG is - thanks SWA!) before my retirement.

Although I suppose you could argue the Classic 737s (300s and 500s) operated by SWA provide some variety (non-glass vs. glass). Regardless, I've heard from several Air Tran pilots that the 737NG is a let-down after flying the more automated 717.

Most people probably don't care about aircraft type so long as the paycheck is solid - but I would. Flying one aircraft type for 20-30 years (3-5 legs per day) would get boring. In the end, I suppose the boosted pay check and job security are what really count... Anyway, that's my opinion. Good luck on the integration!

Do your parents know you're on their computer?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back