Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future plans for the 717 at the new SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had a jumpseater say he heard from someone in the training department that SWA was going to sell all the 717s to ASA.

Had a jumpseater say he heard from someone in the training department that SWA was going to sell all the 717s to ASA.

I was worried until I read the words training department. They should rename it to misdirection department. I'm now guessing that SWA will purchase an additional 50 717s as well as ASA and Skywest

Tool!!

WOW!! Man, what are they going to do with all those extra seats they'd have to rip out of 'em to fall within the scope limits?

The reason I'm asking is I think some of those 717 seats would look good in my garage, and maybe I could get 'em cheap. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that the lions share of them will still be mostly in and out of ATL simply because the majority of your gates appear to be too narrow for -700/-800s to park there. So, ATL probably won't look too much different from today's operation other than the Canyon Blue paintjobs and the XM Satellite Radio hopefully.;)

Last edited:
Boeing would be money ahead to pile them all up and burn them. Imagine what it must cost them to support such a limited fleet type and the RR engine has no other application that I know of. The only commonality with avionics is the MD-11. The 25 that are sitting idle from the Mexacana deal aren't compatible with the Air Tran fleet without a very expensive interior mod (namely the lack of forward lav).It's a crying shame 'cause it's a fantastic airplane. They would make a great corporate airplane (with aux tanks)

Trust me, Boeing wants these Airplanes flying in a bad way. They will happily do whatever interior mods are necessary to get WN to take them. In fact, the interiors of all of AirTran's 717's are going to go through interior modifications over the next few years to WN's specifications anyway.

So, ATL probably won't look too much different from today's operation other than the Canyon Blue paintjobs and the XM Satellite Radio hopefully.;)

I'm hoping for a couple to be done in corn-dog paint jobs, you know, for the nostalgia factor ;)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back