Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Future plans for the 717 at the new SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm guessing that the lions share of them will still be mostly in and out of ATL simply because the majority of your gates appear to be too narrow for -700/-800s to park there.

I've heard a few folks talking about this recently. Can someone in the know at AirTran give me a positive ID on whether this is a real limitation of the ATL gates or not? Would suck if true.

We'll fly them until the wings fall off of them, then we'll fix them and keep flying them, If they are as cheap as people say (Lease wise), they are not going anywhere...You'll learn, everything around here revolves around money (how cheap it costs), and if there is an option that was available on the A/C that it could be flown without, Trust me, we don't have it. Frankly we don't care because most of us don't (didn't) know any different! We're getting paid and that's what is important...

Can you fly the 717 like a (737) -200?
KBB

I've heard a few folks talking about this recently. Can someone in the know at AirTran give me a positive ID on whether this is a real limitation of the ATL gates or not? Would suck if true.

Yes it is true. There are many gates on the C concourse that are only suited for the 717 or smaller. I have heard that part of the deal that the Tranny worked out with the airport when they renewed their leases was to fix that issue so the 73 would fit all the gates. Not sure if there is any truth to the second part.

I'm guessing that the lions share of them will still be mostly in and out of ATL simply because the majority of your gates appear to be too narrow for -700/-800s to park there.
You all obviously haven't seen the ally at LAX or the corner in OAK.

AirTran has several dozen smaller-market cities that are profitable with the 717, but won't fill the extra 20 seats on a -700 and so the 717 is more economical to use for those markets. They are also great for "shuttle" type service, so maybe they'll find some intra-Texas or intra-California service, if they can spread the 717 MX parts out west.

This is specifically what I am wondering, I've heard SWA peeps on other threads mention rumors on their side involving moving some out west. I'd love that being a west coast guy! The 717 would do a great job in Texas, Vegas, or Cali.

SWA guys, what are you hearing?

As for the ATL gates - I've been out awhile, but I thought the airport was going to make some changes to allow the 37 to fit most if not all? Someone can chime in with the correct info. Surely, GK would've researched this in advance.

Please keep all the other SLI B.S. on the other threads.

This is specifically what I am wondering, I've heard SWA peeps on other threads mention rumors on their side involving moving some out west. I'd love that being a west coast guy! The 717 would do a great job in Texas, Vegas, or Cali.

SWA guys, what are you hearing?

As for the ATL gates - I've been out awhile, but I thought the airport was going to make some changes to allow the 37 to fit most if not all? Someone can chime in with the correct info. Surely, GK would've researched this in advance.

Please keep all the other SLI B.S. on the other threads.

My feeling is that you will definately not see them in California, IMO California will be next in line for the -800s after LGA, EWR, DCA, and Boston. California cities comprise 20 of the top 25 city pairs for passenger traffic. The other five are DAL-HOU, MCO-BWI, LAS-PHX, LAS-RNO, and LAS-MDW. California is definately not prime for smaller A/C, unless Fresno, Monterey, Palm Springs, or Bakersfield open up.

edit: my data came from Boyds SW-AT analysis on his website. http://www.aviationplanning.com/

It's right there under the Hot Flash.

Last edited:
He is a class act, I have flown with him in the past and hoped we would fly again in the future. Hope all is well AT.

Well then can you PLEASE get him an interview so he can have that staple he so desperately wanted. Personally, I come to work to get *away* from the pointless bitching and moaning. :)

My friend Mr Beam says it right.

We'll keep the 717s until they are no longer worth while keeping around. I am almost positive we'll have red bellied 717s running the system. Actually, I would not be surprised it the company eventually bought them outright when their leases are up (if it's CHEAPER & it's possible). Also I would not be surprised if we don't start buying up all those sitting in VCV. I don't think our future is one without the 71, at least not for the next decade. We have some pretty old 73s running around.

I have heard from more than one maintenance guy that the 717 maintenance cost is more than the 73, apparently you need a lift to add oil. Not sure if that could skew their future.

I think GK may keep them around as an internal feed. I hope we negotiate the same rate as the 737. Our SL6 lacks this, ... too bad really.

For the guy asking about rumors where they may eventually end up, I haven't heard anything. My guess, they will stay in ATL until we can fill gates with 737s, then they will flow throughout the system, with concentrations on routes that run a little light. Maybe intra-Texas, ... Dunno, all speculation really.

Welcome aboard Trannies. We'll be far international soon. Willy's on, gotta go.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back