Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughed mainline pilots entitled to left seat of their regional carriers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by andyd
And YES I did go to GIA academy, paid for it and cut at least 2 years off the time it took me to get to a regional. ZERO regrets and no apologies. If it weren't for GIA I wouldn't be at Delta now. I'd highly recommend GIA to anyone considering a career change or fresh out of college. Not everyone is cut out to be a CFI nor should they be. I figure that the $24,000 I paid for GIA will have added easily $250,000 in career earnings and $400,000 in my 401K balance at retirement age. Why would I trade that for 2 years of students trying to kill me and get me violated working 6 days a week? Screw that.

LOL! You gotta love it. :)

Last edited:
...and some people got mad at those 20 year old wunderkidz with their sense of entitlement...

Ugh...

GIMME GIMME GIMME!

Anyone who doesn't like this arrangement should go work for an actual airline, instead of a contracted lift company that incorporates this into their lift contracts.

You knew (or should have) that this could happen when you took the job at a contract lift provider. This is one reason many pilots ultimately strive to work for actual airlines.

Anyone who doesn't like this arrangement should go work for an actual airline, instead of a contracted lift company that incorporates this into their lift contracts.

You knew (or should have) that this could happen when you took the job at a contract lift provider. This is one reason many pilots ultimately strive to work for actual airlines.

Very condiscending.

What if some of us like working for "contracted lift" companies? I don't want to go anywhere else. I wish I could start and retire in a turboprop like guys in the 80's because that's what I am into. It's not my fault that mainline was too good to fly a 37-50 seat jet. They don't want them, we got'em. Just as it was said before, don't be so condicending. You assume everybody wants a mainline job when maybe they don't. Maybe they need the time to go corporate or to a fractional and you can get a job quicker at a regional than practically anywhere else.

CM

Again, No F'n way. Part of the decision to leave your seniority behind and go to major is the gamble of a possible furlough. That is just part of the job change. You weigh the possibilty of being furlough foder against the better pay and bennies of the new job. You can not have your cake and eat it too.

You made the choice to gamble in the face of an economic recession and record oil prices. Oil has been breaking records for three years! You gambled by going to a big airline. It was your gamble, you knew the risks and it is no one elses responcibility to give up their seniority to bail you out.

If you don't like it, then you need only look up your own seniority list and tell the A-holes that voted away your jobs and your scope for their own short sighted personal gain.

If your shrinking comes at the gain of a regional partner, so be it. I don't like it either. But again, look up your own seniority list to assign blame where it is deserved. You took the job KNOWING what and how your scope was writen. You know that capacity cuts at mainline could contractually be followed by connection growth. It sucks. It is the world we have all been handed by the gummers at the big six carriers. But again, nothing has changed since most of the future furloughs were newly hired at their new dream job. You knew the risks.

Like someone else said above. If mainline were to grow and shrink a connection carrier, those furloughed connection pilots would not be entitled to growth seats at the company that caused their furlough. It has to work both ways.

Sorry, you will have to come to the bottom of our seniority list, just the same as you would make us do. Or find a non-aviation job during your furlough.

Again, No F'n way. Part of the decision to leave your seniority behind and go to major is the gamble of a possible furlough. That is just part of the job change. You weigh the possibilty of being furlough foder against the better pay and bennies of the new job. You can not have your cake and eat it too.

You made the choice to gamble in the face of an economic recession and record oil prices. Oil has been breaking records for three years! You gambled by going to a big airline. It was your gamble, you knew the risks and it is no one elses responcibility to give up their seniority to bail you out.

If you don't like it, then you need only look up your own seniority list and tell the A-holes that voted away your jobs and your scope for their own short sighted personal gain.

If your shrinking comes at the gain of a regional partner, so be it. I don't like it either. But again, look up your own seniority list to assign blame where it is deserved. You took the job KNOWING what and how your scope was writen. You know that capacity cuts at mainline could contractually be followed by connection growth. It sucks. It is the world we have all been handed by the gummers at the big six carriers. But again, nothing has changed since most of the future furloughs were newly hired at their new dream job. You knew the risks.

Like someone else said above. If mainline were to grow and shrink a connection carrier, those furloughed connection pilots would not be entitled to growth seats at the company that caused their furlough. It has to work both ways.

Sorry, you will have to come to the bottom of our seniority list, just the same as you would make us do. Or find a non-aviation job during your furlough.

As a mainline pilot, I agree with your post. We chose to leave our last job and took a risk. I don't want to see regionals grow, especially at the expense of mainline jobs, because that hurts everyone. Even if a major is not your career goal, a shift of flying from a major to regional hurts the masses.

If NWA furloughs, I stand to benefit from the flow down. I don't want to gain at the expense of a Compass pilot, but this is different from my above statement. Everyone knew this was a possibility and chose to go to NWA or Compass anyway. I hope there are flow-ups instead of going backwards!

FWIW, I don't think NWA/DAL will furlough. I may be too optimistic but, I hope for everyones sake I'm correct. NWA put out a memo about no furloughs expected. Not that I trust that memo to be truthful, however, it will make DOJ approval harder if furloughs are announced. Also, in the new TA there is a "no furlough" clause (we'll see if it works???).

Flyer 1015...what do you mean by JM-1, andyd-0? You do know JM was a PFT'er also? Why are the most vocal posters(JM, andyd and PCL128 etc...) on morality in this industry the same pilots who did their part to violate their (new found) code of ethical behavior they preach about? Where were their ethics and morals as they handed over that $10K check to buy a job? Kinda ironic, huh?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back