Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughed mainline pilots entitled to left seat of their regional carriers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If there's no associated regional growth, then no, seeing theyve never given us preference.

BUT if mainline shrinking comes with regional growth then YES, Im for it. Any 23 year old regional FO that wants a quicker upgrade so some 45 yr old with 3 ids can sit behind him on the list, thats f-ing wrong and that regional dude needs to think about someone other than himself.

This job combines 0 job security with complete financial and QOL disaster in the even of a furlough. There needs to be some sort of lifeline out there.

Dumb post alert:

"Any 23 year old regional FO that wants a quicker upgrade so some 45 yr old with 3 ids can sit behind him on the list, thats f-ing wrong and that regional dude needs to think about someone other than himself"

Risk, reward. All pilots do is think about themselves first, and their airline collectively. All other are tangential players, and while I feel bad for the 45 y/o guy (actually, I'm closer to that than 23) with 3 kids, the airline industry is not Social Security. Risk, reward.

If UAX "Brand X" does'nt allow our guys some left seat jobs then "Brand X" aint getting the new "Growth Jets"

My guess is that the regional pilots would politely decline if it were up to them. Ironically, it isn't up to the pilots anyway, so I suppose this thread is purely academic.

I'm for one list too, but I have to ask: If Mainline pilots didn't make the decision to park the 737's, how are they going to pull the regional growth if they don't get what they want?

Waiting until there is a disaster isn't a good plan for negotiating flow throughs/backs. I remember hearing from many of the NWA pilots that they didn't want many of the regional pilots they knew anywhere near them but for years, they teased the regionals with flow up talk. It never happened. Now, a regional pilot who fears for his job now is supposed to forego an upgrade or furlough protection out of one sided compassion? It's going to be a tough sell.

Last round is was preferential hiring, let's see what happens this time....

I keep hearing that mainline pilots are pushing for this to happen but it seems unlikely to me. Anyone else have an opinion or information about this subject?

Of course we deserve it..............why...??

Because we are BETTER THAN YOU!!

Give me a F%&king break. What a stupid thread. Guys get furloughed, they hit the street. Thats how it works, everyone knows it. Unless of course you have one of those fancy Flow-thru-back agreements. If you have that, your FKed!

Last edited:
Dont worry guys, this time the regionals won't be growing either. Almost all the mainline partners have announced that they are trimming their regional partners. Look at Eagle, possibly Comair, Mesa, etc...Who knows about the NWA regionals. I have heard the SH has recently said that ASA will be flying 91 jets for Delta come fall. That is quite a reduction, more if you count the ATR's. I don't think there will be regional growth or J4J this time around. Everybody will feel this pain.
Thats the truth. This will be different than 9/11. The $hit will slide downhill as well.

No double standards....if mainline are good enough to be thrown into the left seat of an RJ, then an RJ Captain is good enough to assume a possition on a mainline seniority list.

Not quite true. Most regionals don't require a BA, my interview at PCL was a total joke, 20 minutes bs'ing with the CP. My interview at GIA was 30 minutes and consisted of 1 question, the rest was bs'ing.....and they don't require a degree. My interview at DAL was 2 days, written test, psych test, psych interview, physical and 3rd party background check.

You want a mainline job.......go through the process the rest of us did. In the meantime your job isn't in jeopardy unless the carrier you work for is wholly owned and has a flow up/down agreement already in place. Word is that the JPWA just signed with DAL/NWA has such an agreement with Compass/Mesaba...part of the price of working for a wholly owned. If you work there then you knew about it before you accepted the job, along with the possibility of flowing up....and the danger of flow downs. If you worked at Mesaba before this agreement was in place, then in all likely hood you are a career Mesaba driver and are so senior that any flowdowns will not affect you in any way, shape or form.

Not quite true. Most regionals don't require a BA, my interview at PCL was a total joke, 20 minutes bs'ing with the CP. My interview at GIA was 30 minutes and consisted of 1 question, the rest was bs'ing.....and they don't require a degree. My interview at DAL was 2 days, written test, psych test, psych interview, physical and 3rd party background check.

You want a mainline job.......go through the process the rest of us did. In the meantime your job isn't in jeopardy unless the carrier you work for is wholly owned and has a flow up/down agreement already in place. Word is that the JPWA just signed with DAL/NWA has such an agreement with Compass/Mesaba...part of the price of working for a wholly owned. If you work there then you knew about it before you accepted the job, along with the possibility of flowing up....and the danger of flow downs. If you worked at Mesaba before this agreement was in place, then in all likely hood you are a career Mesaba driver and are so senior that any flowdowns will not affect you in any way, shape or form.
I agree with your post for the most part but I can honestly say that my interview at CoEx in 2000 was far more difficult than my interview at CAL. I also interviewed at B6 in 04 and I thought their process was very thorough.

I never said anything like that.

I prefer UAL flies the E-190 and I know that 95% of the UAL pilot group feels the same way. I am not getting furloughed--but I want to see OUR pilots who might get furloughed NOT get outsourced. GET THE PICTURE?

I wasn't at UAL in 1995 when they voted on the RJ's--I was an Express guy at the time myself, and I ALWAYS felt that ANY jet should be flown by UAL pilots.- I still feel that way.

If Eastern and others hadn't started this mess with separate regional flying we wouldn't be having this debate today and I believe things would be better...But that isn't what happened....Mainline egos didn't want to fly Beech 99s, Metros, and Bandits...Pride goeth before the fall.....

If you get the E190s at your property then you can staff them the way you want....If the E190s come to our property....We will staff them the way we want.....Fair enough?

Here we go with the essence of why there will never be a single list....Mainline pilots think they are better....At least Andy is honest...

1. I have one of those fancy 4 year college degrees and it doesn't really mean squat....I had a hell of a good time...But it didn't make me a better pilot...College is way over rated....Fun but largely a waste of time and money....

2. Some of the best guys and pilots I know flunked the stupid Delta psych. test while other strange folks made it through....Hell General Lee proves that with every post..

3. So you're another GIA and PCL vet...just like PCL_128.....imagine that.....I'm amazed at what elitist snobs you guys can be coming from carriers that by your own admission don't require much....I know you're at Delta now...The best of the best:rolleyes:

andyd said:

I don't want a "mainline" job....I have a good one now.....If furloughed mainline pilots want one of these peon regional jobs....They can apply and start over at the bottom again....If they have the superior attitude you have...I say don't hire them....

Save your flowthrough/flowback....we aren't interested....

Last edited:
You want a mainline job.......go through the process the rest of us did.

On the Great Lakes thread, our friend Andy here explains the process he went through....

andyd said:
And YES I did go to GIA academy, paid for it and cut at least 2 years off the time it took me to get to a regional. ZERO regrets and no apologies. If it weren't for GIA I wouldn't be at Delta now. I'd highly recommend GIA to anyone considering a career change or fresh out of college. Not everyone is cut out to be a CFI nor should they be. I figure that the $24,000 I paid for GIA will have added easily $250,000 in career earnings and $400,000 in my 401K balance at retirement age. Why would I trade that for 2 years of students trying to kill me and get me violated working 6 days a week? Screw that.

That's the attitude we are dealing with here....

Latest resources

Back