Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furloughed mainline pilots entitled to left seat of their regional carriers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What if some of us like working for "contracted lift" companies? I don't want to go anywhere else. I wish I could start and retire in a turboprop like guys in the 80's because that's what I am into. It's not my fault that mainline was too good to fly a 37-50 seat jet. They don't want them, we got'em. Just as it was said before, don't be so condicending. You assume everybody wants a mainline job when maybe they don't. Maybe they need the time to go corporate or to a fractional and you can get a job quicker at a regional than practically anywhere else.

CM

It was not my intent to be condescending. In point of fact, I would have written much the same as you 5 years into my first regional "airline" job as you have. Why not stay? Why not retire here? Big fish in a small pond and all that, and heck, the money was more than good enough for me.

Make no mistake: the difference between an actual airline and a contract lift provider is HUGE. I'm not talking salary, or work rules, or unions, etc. I'm talking about long term job security and viability. A contracted lift company cannot determine its own destiny, really.

Its only as good as its next contract, which are highly competitive and tend to restrict long term profitability at the expense of short-term security. In exchange, they have to agree to things that are not good for you, the pilot. They might have a guarnteed profit (short term), but will never truly make big $$$ . . . so neither will you, either $$-wise or QOL-wise. A real airline might not want your services in the future (likely in today's market ), or they might impose conditions that are grossly unfair to the line pilot (flow-back).

Contract lift is what it is. But generally speaking, its not a very good place to plan on hanging ones hat for the next 25 years.

Nor would I hesitate to "flow-back" if the need arose. In this instance, your company agreed as terms of said contract to accept this. It is a benefit negotiated (dictated to?) by an actual airline to a contracted party. It was done for the benefit of a career airline pilot, not a short-term contracted pilot. It sucks for the contract pilot, but he knew (or should have known) going in that this was what he was getting into.

Last edited:
It was not my intent to be condescending. In point of fact, I would have written much the same as you 5 years into my first regional "airline" job as you have. Why not stay? Why not retire here? Big fish in a small pond and all that, and heck, the money was more than good enough for me.

Make no mistake: the difference between an actual airline and a contract lift provider is HUGE. I'm not talking salary, or work rules, or unions, etc. I'm talking about long term job security and viability. A contracted lift company cannot determine its own destiny, really.

Its only as good as its next contract, which are highly competitive and tend to restrict long term profitability at the expense of short-term security. In exchange, they have to agree to things that are not good for you, the pilot. They might have a guarnteed profit (short term), but will never truly make big $$$ . . . so neither will you, either $$-wise or QOL-wise. A real airline might not want your services in the future (likely in today's market ), or they might impose conditions that are grossly unfair to the line pilot (flow-back).

Contract lift is what it is. But generally speaking, its not a very good place to plan on hanging ones hat for the next 25 years.

Nor would I hesitate to "flow-back" if the need arose. In this instance, your company agreed as terms of said contract to accept this. It is a benefit negotiated (dictated to?) by an actual airline to a contracted party. It was done for the benefit of a career airline pilot, not a short-term contracted pilot. It sucks for the contract pilot, but he knew (or should have known) going in that this was what he was getting into.

Well said!

SPOT ON!

Ya know...

I've always liked the way things have stood here at ASA. We've never had a flow up or flow down. Everyone who wanted to make a move up or down, did so at the mercy of seniority. And we always treated Dl furloughs as well as we could.

I have flown with DL furloughs as my Capatin and then as my FO. No problem. Every single one of them were grateful for the job and benefits at ASA. A job which their pilot group repeatedly negotiated off Delta property.

I just don't see a need to skull-screw the seniortiy system we have all come to 'love".

I'll buy that for a dollar. However what I was referring to was that there are people who like flying the smaller aircraft on shorter legs to podunk airports. I am one of these people and I know it's hard to believe but I grew up around these airplanes and airports and the majors and larger aircraft just don't appeal to me all that much. I live a modest life that I'm happy with and in my little corner of the world. I'm not trying to belittle everyone for going to a major or anything like that. I can certainly appreciate the zeal for moving up the career ladder. But for some of us our favorite thing is piloting a B1900 or Brasilia or ERJ and we accept everything that goes with it. I just interjected my thought into this topic because it seems everyone thinks that everyone wants to go fly a 737 and above. Not always the case. I do wish luck to those that want it though. Good luck to us all in whatever we want!

I'll buy that for a dollar. However what I was referring to was that there are people who like flying the smaller aircraft on shorter legs to podunk airports. I am one of these people and I know it's hard to believe but I grew up around these airplanes and airports and the majors and larger aircraft just don't appeal to me all that much. I live a modest life that I'm happy with and in my little corner of the world. I'm not trying to belittle everyone for going to a major or anything like that. I can certainly appreciate the zeal for moving up the career ladder. But for some of us our favorite thing is piloting a B1900 or Brasilia or ERJ and we accept everything that goes with it. I just interjected my thought into this topic because it seems everyone thinks that everyone wants to go fly a 737 and above. Not always the case. I do wish luck to those that want it though. Good luck to us all in whatever we want!

I have no problem with guys like you. My problem is with guys like JoeyMerchant who want to stay at the regionals, but aren't happy just flying small airplanes to small airports. They want to steal the big airplanes from the majors. If it was up to Joey, ASA would be able to "bid" on Delta's 767 flying and start flying to Paris as a contractor.

Thats alright pcl when Airtranny fourloughs your high and mighty ass we will let you come to work at ASA! You will probably be in for quite a shock when you open your dumbass mouth and get a boot shoved up your ass, but you will learn. There is nobody getting left seats at ASA, I don't care if we grow by 100 planes at Delta pilots expence. You want a job, apply and good luck. If you want the left seat you will have to try and convince our MEC and the rest of the membership that it is good for them. Good luck with that!! PCL you are a PFT scumbag that found ALPA religion and now want all of your prior sins forgiven. Well sorry for your luck, but this ain't church and you will always be a PFT scumbag!!!!

Thats alright pcl when Airtranny fourloughs your high and mighty ass we will let you come to work at ASA! You will probably be in for quite a shock when you open your dumbass mouth and get a boot shoved up your ass, but you will learn. There is nobody getting left seats at ASA, I don't care if we grow by 100 planes at Delta pilots expence. You want a job, apply and good luck. If you want the left seat you will have to try and convince our MEC and the rest of the membership that it is good for them. Good luck with that!! PCL you are a PFT scumbag that found ALPA religion and now want all of your prior sins forgiven. Well sorry for your luck, but this ain't church and you will always be a PFT scumbag!!!!

Unlikely that I'll be getting furloughed, little man. But thanks for the job offer. I'm not interested.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back