• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Furlough coming up? Which would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in 2005 I got furloughed from ATA. My biggest mistake in my furlough was accepting a job too quickly that wasn't a good fit for me.

So let me get this straight... if NetJets DOESN'T hire you, if you take either of your options right now you'd leave them both for law school? If NetJets DOES hire you, you'd leave them both for NetJets? Are you planning on leaving both options anyway? Perhaps you should be careful about burning the freight job bridge so quickly.

I don't know your family and financial situation, but it sounds to me like you should collect unemployment, enjoy some time off, and wait for NetJets to pan out. Hey, maybe you could study more for law school in the meantime or something!

Sounds good, but im not the type to sit around and do nothing! Ive been in the outside world plenty to know that I dont want to get some penny annie job working 9-5 and battling traffic like all the other stiffs. I would leave either of the jobs for Netjets in a second.....LSAT is done but I wont be applying for law school until fall 09 (personal reasons). Until then I would do either one of the cargo or ambulance work. Enough time not to "burn that f ing bridge down". If I enjoyed my time off with unemployment I know myself to well....I would get into trouble!

Im gonna take the lear job and hope for Netjets.

My girlfriend just finished law school - I tried to talk her out of going. Here are some interesting facts that I came across by doing research before she started:

1. The average attorney in the U.S. makes $80k a year.
2. Law school will cost well over $100k. Probably closer to $150k if you have to finance living expenses.
3. Now your loan payment of $1500/month greatly diminishes the value of your $80k salary.
4. You can make more than the $80k but in order to do this you will be living in a big city and literaly work 80 hour weeks.
5. Average starting salary for an attorney in Boston is 35k.
6. On average only top 10% of graduating class will have job upon graduation, the rest will likely have to wait until their BAR results come back, roughly 6-7 months. (hopefully they passed)
7. Some of the highest paying law jobs i.e. tax attorney or corporate law will require an additional masters degree AFTER law school (CPA, MBA etc)
8. You will hear enough lawyer jokes to make you vomit. (I for one share every lawyer joke that I hear with my girlfriend)

Make sure that you do your research before starting down this path and that law is something you really want to get into.

To end on a positive note -
Many believe that there is a pending lawyer shortage because of future baby boomer retirements....

Or, get a job at GoJets, where you will have flight benefits and upgrade to PIC right out of training.

1. The average attorney in the U.S. makes $80k a year. Nice try. maybe a small time firm, or DA. Not a large firm.

2. Law school will cost well over $100k. Probably closer to $150k if you have to finance living expenses. true for the most part...

3. Now your loan payment of $1500/month greatly diminishes the value of your $80k salary.maybe

4. You can make more than the $80k but in order to do this you will be living in a big city and literaly work 80 hour weeks. wrong again. we live in a medium sized city, and my wife works about 40 hours per week.

5. Average starting salary for an attorney in Boston is 35k. Again, maybe a DA, or assistant litigator or something. My wifes bonus was twice that.

6. On average only top 10% of graduating class will have job upon graduation, the rest will likely have to wait until their BAR results come back, roughly 6-7 months. (hopefully they passed)yes, bar is tough.

7. Some of the highest paying law jobs i.e. tax attorney or corporate law will require an additional masters degree AFTER law school (CPA, MBA etc)practice something else then.

8. You will hear enough lawyer jokes to make you vomit. (I for one share every lawyer joke that I hear with my girlfriend)not really. maybe on TV.

Make sure that you do your research before starting down this path and that law is something you really want to get into.

Many believe that there is a pending lawyer shortage because of future baby boomer retirements....

here is five characters

What's wrong with Lawyer jokes?
Lawyers don't think they're funny, and nobody else thinks they're jokes.

My wife is a 10 year attorney, so I'll add my 2 cents below. Overall, I don't envy her job at all.

My girlfriend just finished law school - I tried to talk her out of going. Here are some interesting facts that I came across by doing research before she started:

1. The average attorney in the U.S. makes $80k a year. That sounds about right.
2. Law school will cost well over $100k. Probably closer to $150k if you have to finance living expenses. Doesn't need to be this expensive. I put my wife through U of A on a USAF Capt's salary with no loans whatsover. Didn't seem painful at all. Sure, you can run the tuition bill up at the fancy schools, but there are good values out there.
3. Now your loan payment of $1500/month greatly diminishes the value of your $80k salary. No doubt - finance as little as possible.
4. You can make more than the $80k but in order to do this you will be living in a big city and literaly work 80 hour weeks. Our personal experience is 60-65 hour weeks. She's worked Vegas & Phoenix at big firms. It is a grind--no way around it.
5. Average starting salary for an attorney in Boston is 35k. I would call BS on this. But cities do vary wildly. Dallas, it turns out, is a great paying city for lawyers with a lower cost of living. Do your research here. Try boards like greedyassociates.com
6. On average only top 10% of graduating class will have job upon graduation, the rest will likely have to wait until their BAR results come back, roughly 6-7 months. (hopefully they passed) This really depends on the school. If you are willing to do summer internships and they like you, you have a great shot at a job right after graduation. This 10% figure would have been way low at U of A--it was way over 50%.
7. Some of the highest paying law jobs i.e. tax attorney or corporate law will require an additional masters degree AFTER law school (CPA, MBA etc) True on the tax law, but not on corporate. The key to some sanity in the job is picking a field where the work is routine and repeatable (this means you can bill 2 hours for a boilerplate document that your secretary prepares for you). Patent law and estates & trusts are great gigs. Stay out of litigation.
8. You will hear enough lawyer jokes to make you vomit. (I for one share every lawyer joke that I hear with my girlfriend) No worries--you'll be at work all the time, and lawyers don't tell these jokes to each other.

Make sure that you do your research before starting down this path and that law is something you really want to get into. Agreed. There are a lot of dropouts from this career.

Many believe that there is a pending lawyer shortage because of future baby boomer retirements....You will always be in demand if you can do the job.

Last edited:
The Lear job (at APA I'm assuming) will be miserable, but hopefully it will only be for a while. If you get on w/ NJ then who cares about burning bridges with a crappy 135 operator? If you biff the interview you quit when you can't take it anymore (that'll definitely be no later than your fall 09 timeframe, guaranteed) and go to law school.

I know that guys are the minority but have you thought about nursing school. There is a lot of demand right now for the nursing field. There is a hospice company here that was offering a 10,000 bonus to sign on with good benefits too.

Latest resources

Back