• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Funny things overheard on the radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The other pilot decides to tell our passengers all about the boring scenery off of one side of the plane, and I realize about halfway through that he's doing it on the center frequency. Right after he's finished giving every aircraft a great description of Arizona, some anonymous pilot says sarcastically "Oooooooo, I wanna go THERE!!"

gkrangers said:
Maybe it was a hot air balloon from the air show or something?

I saw what looked like a flying umbrella around 800 ft off the departure end of 15 at KLNA a few months back... I didn't report it as such though, I figured I'd probably be accused of flying drunk or something when I landed!

MFRskyknight said:
Yeah, it was just a small helium balloon that broke loose from a dealership display. You could hear the controller rolling his eyes. He's working his butt off maintaining seperation and all that for all the airshow activity and here comes this guy puttering around outside the class D ring at 6,000 feet opposite all the action with his report. If it was a weather balloon (or 500 of them with a guy in a lawnchair attached, for that matter), I'd have reported it, but for a little helium balloon? I dunno, just seemed strange at the time.

MFR

Oh ok. Yeah reporting a small helium balloon is lame.

FR8FO said:
female pilot: center american 123 can we get a shortcut?

another airplane pipes in: honey your whole career has been a shortcut

Haaaaahahahahahahahaha!!

Heard from someone so I can't take full credit, but I certainly thought it was funny......

The following radio exchange occurred between a Comanche, a Bonanxa, and ATC one hazy afternoon approaching theDalhart beacon...

ATC: Comanche *** Traffic 9 o'clock, 7 miles, your altitude, a Bonanza eastbound.

Comanche: Comanche *** Looking, no contact.

ATC: Bonanza *** Traffic 3 o'clock 7 miles, northbound, your altitude a Piper Comanche.

Bonanza: No joy on the Piper.

A minuite later...

ATC: Comanche *** Traffic is still 9 o'clock, now 5 miles.

Comanche: Still no contact.

ATC: Bonanza *** Traffic 3 o'clock, 5 miles closing, 9000 feet.

Bonanza: Comanche traffic not in sight.

Another minuite later...

ATC: Comanche *** Bonanza traffic now 3 miles 9 o'clock your altitude, advise traffic in sight.

Comanche: Still no contact... must be that new stealth Bonanza.

ATC: Bonanza *** Comanche now 3 miles northbond at your 3 o'clock position does not have you insight.

Bonanza: No contact on the Comanche... Yeah, we paid extra for that.

A few seconds later:

Comanche: Comanche *** has traffic in sight... you'll have to get a refund.

Bonanza: De-cloaking.

Last edited:
Heard on Atlanta center this morning.

Pilot: "Center, USAir 345, it's getting a little choppy here...might improve if we could get direct Charlotte."

Controller: "USAir 345 cleared direct Charlotte."

Pilot: "USAir 345 cleared direct Charlotte, it's getting better already."

a guys xpndr was acting up in the pattern and was told to stop altitude squawk.......later was asked if he turned the transponder off he comes back on all cheeeeeeeeeeery voiced and i quote....

"I SSUUUUUUUUUUURE DID"

Sitting nearly behind a 767 in Chicago one winter that was blowing snow, slush and ice chunks around, the CA and I had just commented to each other about all the s_it that was blowing around.

Chicago ground asked us 'Can you pull forward behind the 767?'

I quickly responded 'Negative, he'd blow that s_it all over us!'

I looked at the CA and asked, 'did I just say s_it on the radio?' 'Yep' he replied.

Chicago ground, in their typical no-nonsense style, just said, 'Roger'.

Fugawe

I was going to RFD for the Courtesy Aircraft Fly In, and it was CAVU. ATIS said contract ATC before 10 miles out. ATC was listening to people, respond back, "hold out there, you're number xx". Then they would, in sequence, give folks squawk codes, and clear them in. One guy says
"this is xxx, I'm still out here, what number am I' ATC "You're number 30, and if you want to be number 60, call me again"

OOPS,

skygirl1968 said:
Heard from someone so I can't take full credit, but I certainly thought it was funny......

The following radio exchange occurred between a Comanche, a Bonanxa, and ATC one hazy afternoon approaching theDalhart beacon...

ATC: Comanche *** Traffic 9 o'clock, 7 miles, your altitude, a Bonanza eastbound.

Comanche: Comanche *** Looking, no contact.

ATC: Bonanza *** Traffic 3 o'clock 7 miles, northbound, your altitude a Piper Comanche.

Bonanza: No joy on the Piper.

A minuite later...

ATC: Comanche *** Traffic is still 9 o'clock, now 5 miles.

Comanche: Still no contact.

ATC: Bonanza *** Traffic 3 o'clock, 5 miles closing, 9000 feet.

Bonanza: Comanche traffic not in sight.

Another minuite later...

ATC: Comanche *** Bonanza traffic now 3 miles 9 o'clock your altitude, advise traffic in sight.

Comanche: Still no contact... must be that new stealth Bonanza.

ATC: Bonanza *** Comanche now 3 miles northbond at your 3 o'clock position does not have you insight.

Bonanza: No contact on the Comanche... Yeah, we paid extra for that.

A few seconds later:

Comanche: Comanche *** has traffic in sight... you'll have to get a refund.

Bonanza: De-cloaking.
Lmao !! way funny..

Latest resources

Back