Funny things overheard on the radio

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MFRskyknight said:
We had an airshow going on today, so things were pretty hectic for the tower. I'm down in the line shack, I hear the following in the midst of all this commotion:

Dork: "Medford Tower, Pacer 1234, 5 miles east of the airport, uh, just to let you know, looks like a balloon from the car dealership got away here, it's about 6,000 and slowly climbing."

Tower: ".......okaaaaaaay....uhhh, thanks for the report."

MFR

I'd report it too. Is that weird for some reason??

I was in North Las Vegas airport not long ago when as I was taxiing out to the runway for take off I watched a Cirrus taxi off the runway and start taxing on his own towards the jet parking area. Not long after the following ensued

North Vegas Ground: Cirrus XXX where are you taxiing to?

Cirrus XXX: I am taxiing to parking

North Vegas Ground: You realize that you must be cleared to taxi you are blocking outbound traffic

Cirrus XXX: Who is this?

North Vegas Ground: This is North Las Vegas Ground Control and I am overseeing all operations on the ground at the airport.

Cirrus XXX: Oh I thought there was someone special on

North Vegas Ground: Cirrus XXX please taxi to the base of the tower so that we can talk about who is special

My mouth dropped and I told my student time to get the hell out of here. Never in my life did I think I would hear something like that except for those emails that get sent out... Goes to my theory that the Cirrus would be the new doctor killer if it wasnt for those standard equipped chutes that they have.

Last edited:
yeah the VGT controllers are real pricks..used to fly in there sometimes and also could listen on I tihnk 89.5fm when you drive by.. they're always berrating somebody for no real reason

flyingnome said:
I was in North Las Vegas airport not long ago when as I was taxiing out to the runway for take off I watched a Cirrus taxi off the runway and start taxing on his own towards the jet parking area. Not long after the following ensued

North Vegas Ground: Cirrus XXX where are you taxiing to?

Cirrus XXX: I am taxiing to parking

North Vegas Ground: You realize that you must be cleared to taxi you are blocking outbound traffic

Cirrus XXX: Who is this?

North Vegas Ground: This is North Las Vegas Ground Control and I am overseeing all operations on the ground at the airport.

Cirrus XXX: Oh I thought there was someone special on

North Vegas Ground: Cirrus XXX please taxi to the base of the tower so that we can talk about who is special

My mouth dropped and I told my student time to get the hell out of here. Never in my life did I think I would hear something like that except for those emails that get sent out... Goes to my theory that the Cirrus would be the new doctor killer if it wasnt for those standard equipped chutes that they have.

John2375 said:
yeah the VGT controllers are real pricks..used to fly in there sometimes and also could listen on I tihnk 89.5fm when you drive by.. they're always berrating somebody for no real reason

id say thats a pretty good reason!

VSI9k+ said:
C172 on the ground at ADS-"Oh baby yeah that feels good", he had a hot mike
ADS tower-"Do you have time to take off, or do you want to sit there for a while?"

I must tell this story on myself as enough time has passed to let it heal. Many years ago, as a newly licensed private pilot I took my girlfriend up for a local flight. On very short final I looked over at her and asked, "Do you want a smooth landing?" .......and the rest follows......

Me....You sure you want a smooth landing
Her....Yes
Me..... a smooth f---ing landing?
Her....Yes!
Me.....a REAL SMOOTH f---ing landing?
Her.....YES!

After touch down we taxied clear of the runway and tower/ground control cleared us to the GA portion of the airport, unprompted. After about 10 seconds of radio silence the tower asked, "Cherokee XXX, you got time for a question?"
"Sure I do"
"The guys and I were wondering exactly how smooth that landing was?"
I knew at that instant that I had been holding the PTT button on yoke all the way through round-out and flare.... Oops!

epic! said:
maybe it was a small helium ballon and the tower didnt think of it as any real threat

Yeah, it was just a small helium balloon that broke loose from a dealership display. You could hear the controller rolling his eyes. He's working his butt off maintaining seperation and all that for all the airshow activity and here comes this guy puttering around outside the class D ring at 6,000 feet opposite all the action with his report. If it was a weather balloon (or 500 of them with a guy in a lawnchair attached, for that matter), I'd have reported it, but for a little helium balloon? I dunno, just seemed strange at the time.

MFR

Chuck Norris would have turned the controls over to his sidekick, jumped out of his 172, and taken that balloon out on the way down. Of course, Chuck Norris is so tough, he doesn't even need a parachute!

Latest resources

Back