• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier upgrade times?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No gaurantees in this industry! As far as Captain upgrades at F9----> right now it is 3-4 years, tomorrow it could be 20 years.

On the same token at my previous carrier (legacy), we where told we could expect to be CAPTAINs within 4 years of our hiring (2000) and that we could expect a PENSION worth a couple million bucks. Do you see how that panned out?

Many would be rightfully PISSED off but I can tell you as long as you know you have no guarantees in this industry and you do have a back up plan, you should be fine.

Starckr is right too. F9 is a great place to be and I hope I can one day retire from here. I wont sell you, this is my 6th airline and by far the BEST place Ihave been. Sure, we do have our problems and WALL STREET hates us, but you know what, I think this "little" Airline is diligent and on path to hopefully a BRIGHT future.

Cya

starchkr said:
This is a last stop airline, you come here to finish your career

Wow! A last stop airline in this industry does not exist. I've got buddies at FedEX and Southwest that aren't even naive enough to make a comment like that. You must not know much about the history of this industry if you truly believe what you wrote. You never know what's going to happen. That post of yours is UNBELIEVABLE! And then to tell a guy basically if he's worried about the upgrade time that he may want to look at some other avenue/airline? Who the FCUK do you think you are? I truly can't believe you wrote that crap.

D-Bo said:
Wow! A last stop airline in this industry does not exist. I've got buddies at FedEX and Southwest that aren't even naive enough to make a comment like that. You must not know much about the history of this industry if you truly believe what you wrote. You never know what's going to happen. That post of yours is UNBELIEVABLE! And then to tell a guy basically if he's worried about the upgrade time that he may want to look at some other avenue/airline? Who the FCUK do you think you are? I truly can't believe you wrote that crap.

Let him enjoy his new career, and hopefully he is right! There is too much doom and gloom in this industry and we all know this industry is very fragile. It is good to have a little optimism with out being arrogant.

After all we are all in the same boat. Once we realize this maybe the downward spiral will STOP and move the other way :)

Cya

AnimalTale said:
Let him enjoy his new career, and hopefully he is right! There is too much doom and gloom in this industry and we all know this industry is very fragile. It is good to have a little optimism with out being arrogant.

After all we are all in the same boat. Once we realize this maybe the downward spiral will STOP and move the other way :)

Cya

He can enjoy his new company without being naive. And he can enjoy his company without being an arrogant a-hole to the point to where he can tell a guy interested in Frontier that Frontier might not be the right avenue for him if he's interested in upgrade time. What? Is he in management already? Is he conducting interviews or selecting candidates?

Anyway, one could have a strong argument that his attitude is the kind that perpetuates the downward spiral that this industry is in. But that's a whole thread in itself. Anyway, most of us know that the industry is fragile. I'm guessing he doesn't. He is not doing himself any favors by having that attitude.

Last edited:
D-Bo said:
He can enjoy his new company without being naive. And he can enjoy his company without being an arrogant a-hole to the point to where he can tell a guy interested in Frontier that Frontier might not be the right avenue for him if he's interested in upgrade time. What? Is he in management already? Is he conducting interviews or selecting candidates?

Anyway, one could have a strong argument that his attitude is the kind that perpetuates the downward spiral that this industry is in. But that's a whole thread in itself. Anyway, most of us know that the industry is fragile. I'm guessing he doesn't. He is not doing himself any favors by having that attitude.

After re-reading his post I come to the conclusion that starchr is only voicing HIS opinion and he is truly motivated and happy to be a pilot at F9.

Let him enjoy! I hope he never does need another job, but in the worst case scenerio (2 furloughs for me) his good attitude will LAND him another job..IMHO

Cya

Geez guys. I for one loved his post. It is refreshing to hear a guy excited about the airline he flies for. Nowhere in his post did he say he was not aware of the nature of this industry. What he did say is that he is going to retire there. I think it is safe to say that he understands that if his airline does not survive that he won't retire there. He was simply stating that as long as his airline is around he will fly for them, be happy, and retire. Back off.

You know, the ones who speak out so violently to this guy can only drudge up hatred most likely because they are not happy with their airline, or can only sit around all day and think of gloom and doom. Although I believe someone has every right to ask about upgrade time, if that is your biggest reason to work for that company, I question if that is the right reason. We all want to upgrade obviously for the pay and type, but like he said, if you are where you want to be then it really doesn't matter. You can't control it anyways and it isn't the main reason you are there. Some here just refuse to accept that some feel that way.

m80drvr said:
Frontier is a great niche carrier and hopefully will last a long time but if consolidation comes knocking you better hope you have 4 stripes. quote]

Trust me. 4 stripes get's you nothing. You'll just be declared to be an "illegitimate captain". Then put on the street.

Let a guy dream, sheesh! Don't we all? Isn't that what led us all to where we are?

M3

It is rare in this industry that a pilot is actually happy and content with a career choice. I hope everybody gets a chance to fly at their ultimate job of choice.

Maybe some of you have to see the "glass half full" for a change..........if not the stress could hurt your medical in the long run. He is a great guy and is not ignorant to the current state of the industry, but to bash a guy because he believes in a philosophy of having that "last" airline job is just sour grapes on your part.

To have the attitude that was so prevalent in the past shows his character and enthusiasm for the job - not a contributor to the "downward spiral" of the industry. NOW THAT is another conversation entirely.

m80drvr said:
...step away from the coolaid. Upgrade is everything...
Uhhh, no it's not. Some people actually might consider quality of life issues rather than the quickest upgrade. I'm at CAL ('97 hire and actually like it here) and could've held a EWR 737 capt bid a year ago. I passed on it for one main reason; I live in IAH and wouldn't move to the EWR area, so I'd have to be pretty much insane to commute from hub to hub to be a bottom feeder rsv capt and be scheduling's bitch for the next few years with virtually no days off once the commute time is added in. Some guys rag on living in Houston, but for me it ain't bad... I'm in the 'burbs building an RV-8 and riding my CBR on my days off. It's really a pretty decent gig as a relatively "senior" FO and having a good number of days off. For me, right now, days off are everything, not the upgrade. Perhaps in another year I could hold IAH capt... to sit rsv at home might not be so bad.

But, I suspect some people might go for the quickest upgrade to be abused by scheduling and beat up by the commute just so they can have something to complain about; it's seems there are a few on here that just live to whine...

Latest resources

Back