Frontier upgrade times?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Spicepilots

Just wondering if anyone knows what the upgrade time looks like over at Frontier? I would have to guess that it goes pretty senior but just wondering what the facts really are.

Spicepilots said:
Just wondering if anyone knows what the upgrade time looks like over at Frontier? I would have to guess that it goes pretty senior but just wondering what the facts really are.
If you can find anyone (including management) that will answer that question, run away from them. It is impossible to predict right now.

Early on it was 6 months to a year. A while ago we had displaced Captains for around a year and Reserves lasted around 2 years. Now guys are spending a month on reserve then holding a line.

I would be alot easier if anyone knew what was going to happen next...

Spicepilots said:

I looked back through the Chief Pilot's Memos and as near as I can tell the most junior upgrade candidate was hired in October of 2002. The Memo showed a projected training start date of June 14, 2006.

Of course all the standard disclaimers apply. These upgrades speak to what's going on now and what's gone on in the last few years... They're not necessarily a good predictor of what'll happen in the next 6 months, much less the next 5 years.

Hope this helps.

Personal perspective...I really don't care how long it takes to get to the left seat, i am where i wanted to end up for a career and that is all that matters. I would think that if you wanted to use this path(F9) to move up quickly to get some PIC time to move on then you are going about this career the wrong way(i'm not saying you are, i'm just trying to make a point). This is a last stop airline, you come here to finish your career, if you want a quick upgrade then some other avenue is the way to go...ok, so this sounds like i am pokin' at you here(hey no funny comments there guys), but in reality i am just saying that once you get here you no longer care about things like flight times, upgrade times etc etc etc...this is a wonderful place to be, and i couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

And to answer the original question...i really have no clue what the upgrade times are like right now.

starchkr said:
Personal perspective...I really don't care how long it takes to get to the left seat, i am where i wanted to end up for a career and that is all that matters. I would think that if you wanted to use this path(F9) to move up quickly to get some PIC time to move on then you are going about this career the wrong way(i'm not saying you are, i'm just trying to make a point). This is a last stop airline, you come here to finish your career, if you want a quick upgrade then some other avenue is the way to go...ok, so this sounds like i am pokin' at you here(hey no funny comments there guys), but in reality i am just saying that once you get here you no longer care about things like flight times, upgrade times etc etc etc...this is a wonderful place to be, and i couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

And to answer the original question...i really have no clue what the upgrade times are like right now.

How naive.

dam* dude step away from the coolaid. Upgrade is everything and your "Last stop airline comment oozes ignorance enlight of current airline dynamics.

Who the hell knows what will happen, consolidation is in the air and at 70+ bucks for oil, not all will survive.

Frontier is a great niche carrier and hopefully will last a long time but if consolidation comes knocking you better hope you have 4 stripes. Ask any usair FO if upgrade is important, After 18 or so years yanking gear I'm sure you will get some interesting responses.

D

PS yes I know AAA is not Frontier BUT it could happen to all of us. I my case it has happened twice.

i am just saying that once you get here you no longer care about things like flight times, upgrade times etc etc etc...this is a wonderful place to be, and i couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

Bulls hit. They guy has every right to ask and to care about upgrade times, for several reasons.

One, Have you seen the FO payscale?

Two, like some other people have said, who knows what will happen to this industry in 5 years?? Depending on the original posters age, he has every reason to want an additonal type and PIC Jet in his pocket. Unfortunately, virutally no one out there is immune to possible furloughs, not to mention pay and work rule concessions. It is definately not unreasonable to want that quick upgrade and PIC experience in case something ugly happens at Frontier. If FedEX, Southwest, and Continental are still hiring at that point, he would be more competitive with captain time than w/o.

I'm not saying Frontier is not a wonderful place to be, but his question is definately legit.

Last edited:
Pay Scale?

"One, Have you seen the FO payscale?"

If you check the FO pay scales at F9 versus the other carriers that are actually hiring right now you will find they are equal to or better than most. Allow me to provide a link so you may seek further personal enlightenment.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/airlines/airlines-2005030344.htm

Just click on Frontier and then compare a few other airlines. I'm not saying don't look forward to an upgrade and PIC type, these days if an airline goes bye-bye, having the type can give you an edge over the other guy. It just seems to me that too many in this industry are saying that they will put up with substandard pay and workrules to get a quick upgrade so they can move on. Nowadays the question is becoming, move on to where?

Good Day!

This is in no way meant to start anything other than intelligent conversation. I think F9 is a fine company for which to work, I have several good buddies who love working there but all the optomism seems a bit unrealistic. Is it too good to be true? I realize most who work there seem to love it. A very important intangible.
I wonder how all of you F9 faithfull can be so confident considering the stock markets distaste for F9 and it's inability to turn a profit since 2004. What is the word from you management on how they are going to address the current sh:t storm in the airline industry. I would love to work there and am looking for a good salesman. I realize some will say if you don't love the place then don't apply but it is a serious question. What do Jeff and the rest of the big shots plan to do to ensure all F9 pilots can retire with that walrus on the tail?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back