• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shearedshaft

Frontier guys

DALLAS, TX (KERA) -

Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly says one issue could break the deal Southwest has proposed for bankrupt Frontier Airlines, of Denver. A winning bidder could be announced this week. KERA's Bill Zeeble has more

Assuming Southwest's hundred-70 million dollar takeover bid for Frontier beats competitor Republic, Kelly says he'll stop the deal cold if Southwest and Frontier employees are in conflict.

Kelly: I won't go forward unless we have an agreement with their labor. And you see examples around the country where airlines have acquired other airlines and then left it up to unions over years to fight it out over a period of years. We're not going to do that.

When Fort Worth's American Airlines bought TWA, union groups from both carriers remained in conflict for a long time.

Kelly says Southwest employees and the corporate culture are too important to upend. He says he respects Frontier's workers but says if they end up working for Southwest, their pay would rise significantly.

Last edited:
DALLAS, TX (KERA) -

Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly says one issue could break the deal Southwest has proposed for bankrupt Frontier Airlines, of Denver. A winning bidder could be announced this week. KERA's Bill Zeeble has more

Assuming Southwest's hundred-70 million dollar takeover bid for Frontier beats competitor Republic, Kelly says he'll stop the deal cold if Southwest and Frontier employees are in conflict.

Kelly: I won't go forward unless we have an agreement with their labor. And you see examples around the country where airlines have acquired other airlines and then left it up to unions over years to fight it out over a period of years. We're not going to do that.

When Fort Worth's American Airlines bought TWA, union groups from both carriers remained in conflict for a long time.

Kelly says Southwest employees and the corporate culture are too important to upend. He says he respects Frontier's workers but says if they end up working for Southwest, their pay would rise significantly.
Ummm....not really sure this is anything new or different....and certainly not a "slipping away' moment. Labor agreement has been a cornerstone since the very first press release.

Read it carefully. This is brand-new, and has Gary Kelly saying that Frontier labor stop the deal. Since the auction is...tomorrow, I wouldn't dismiss this. Read the old stories and see if you see Gary Kelly saying this.
I know the press release is new, but the content is not. Both side are talking, and much more talking will take place one the winner is announced. If Southwest is the winner, I am sure that a deal can be achieved.

I'm going to be a dick and just say it.

F9 guys should be pay protected, stapled and thank SWA for the opportunity to fly for the most productive and highest paying 737 operator in the world. Beats the HELL out of bankruptsy and possible chapter 7.

Suit on,
Gup

F9 pilots need to see how much SWA really wants the deal.

NWA pilots didn't stop the DAL/NWA deal from proceeding and still got a fair deal in the end.

Titanium nerves. Go throw up in the trash if you have too but keep a steady hand and play it till the fat lady sings F9, otherwise you will be the SWA bitches the rest of your careers and you will always be told how good your crap sandwich tastes.

F9 pilots need to see how much SWA really wants the deal.

NWA pilots didn't stop the DAL/NWA deal from proceeding and still got a fair deal in the end.

Titanium nerves. Go throw up in the trash if you have too but keep a steady hand and play it till the fat lady sings F9, so you can be the Republic bitches the rest of your careers and you will always be told how good your crap sandwich tastes.

I edited it so it makes sense. Midwest guys watched her sing too. They're doing great.

I would take the bird in the hand, but then again, I know what you guys would be missing out on.

I'm going to be a dick and just say it.

F9 guys should be pay protected, stapled and thank SWA for the opportunity to fly for the most productive and highest paying 737 operator in the world. Beats the HELL out of bankruptsy and possible chapter 7.

Suit on,
Gup
Gup, in many ways, you speak the truth. And that is likely what will happen, and if it does we will shut up and work every day to continue to make Southwest the great airline it is, just like we worked everyday to make Frontier a great airline.

And yes, it would be nice to wake up and not have to read the papers daily wondering if I have a job. Of course after we figure out how many hundred more furloughs have to occur from the purchase....

Ummm....not really sure this is anything new or different....and certainly not a "slipping away' moment. Labor agreement has been a cornerstone since the very first press release.

Apparently 'Da Judge' has spoken and wants a labor deal in place by midnight tonight :eek:

I hope to see all F9 guys on our senority. You will not be remided about anything. We all came here our own way. I will say welcome aboard lets get 123 my treat. Heck I will even buy premium stuff for F9 guys the first year if they so like. Once you are on the list regardless were...WELCOME. Lets put it behind us and enjoy.

Latest resources

Back