• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Frontier guys" Don't get Greedy!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What everyone seems to forget is that the SWA press releases talk about "hiring" Frontier employees as SWA gains 737 and Airbus' are sold. If it "hiring" then all employees start at the bottom with zero seniority and 1st year pay.

That is why this would be worse that when Morris was purchased. They were stapled but kept thier longevity(pay protection) but their new seniority put them below all SWA pilots.

By operating Frontier as a separate airline, they can slowly bleed them dry of assets, people, routes, gates, etc. By operating as a separte airline, they do not have to integrate the pilots or other work groups. If enough Frontier pilots/employees do not join SWA, they will just hire off of the street with the same results. One airline grows, one airline fades away......

This will eliminate any any road block from SWAPA as there is no "Merger". There would be nothing to stop it from SWAs side and nothing that FAPA could do.

The only real roadblock I see is DOJ/DOT and the large overlap that SWA has created by going into DEN. In the past, they have prevented megers/buyouts when there have been large overlaps in service. This purchase (following published plans) would be a reduction in competion on these margets/routes and most likely would cause them to no approve the purchase (merger or not).

Just my opinion......

FNG

Last edited:
I think they will offer a staple and to encourage the F9 pilots to agree they will throw in the pay freeze. Since it will take time for SWA to get rid of the AB and replace them with the 737 it only makes sense to keep them on. As long as they have their SWA number they can come over as each AB leaves and replaced with a 737. The Denver Base lock will help them in the transition. It will not hurt SWA since they cannot fly the AB. That will be more than any F9 would expect. Remember, they are being auctioned off. They could be out on the street. An F9 Captain can stay until the last AB is gone and then move over the 737. He will have his number already so he will not lose anything.

That is assuming they accept it to close the deal. If they cannot agree then it will be up in the air whether SWA drops the offer
user_online.gif
progress.gif

The lessons from the USAIR/America West deal have been loud and clear to all airline CEO's. This deal was the reason Gary tried so hard to get a pilot contract with the new code share language. The fact that we do not have a contract gives us even more leverage in this situation and I don't believe Gary will go forward unless there is a signed and sealed deal between both unions. I would think that once the unions come to terms (if they do) then the deal would be presented to both work groups for a vote. If F9 group is not happy with that then Republic airlines will be your next home. I for one think the F9 guys and gals are a fine group, however I don't think the majority of SWA pilots are not willing to give up any seniority to support what is an acquisition. I think it is really a simple decision for everyone. It is nice that the F9 guys and gals have a choice! I hope they do what works best for each and everyone of them. The F9 guys and gals might want to see what happened to Midwest after they got Republic got in the piicture.

Last edited:
Wake up guys.....Do you really think that SWA wants all the employees of F9?

Just look at history. Morris, TransStar, ATA, and now F9. There is a pattern and if you want to ignore it, then go ahead. This smells a lot like the ATA deal to me. I personally think that SWA has two plans in their secret vault.

1) Bring these two airlines together and move forward. This will include an "agreement" from the unions. If they do not get the "agreement" or feel that the SWA culture is being compromised, then on to the second plan.

2) Buy F9 and operate it separately. As they get more 73's they will phase out the bus and furlough. Eventually F9 will be gone and WN will have all their routes and a great foothold on DEN. (This is the ATA type deal) They will get around the A/M provisions because it will be operated as a separate "failing" company.

So back to number one. SWA pilots will not agree to anything but a staple. If F9 rejects this, then SWA moves to plan 2.

Is SWA above the law? NO, but they will use the law to accomplish what they want.

Last edited:
Wake up guys.....Do you really think that SWA wants all the employees of F9?

Just look at history. Morris, TransStar, ATA, and now F9. There is a pattern and if you want to ignore it, then go ahead. This smells a lot like the ATA deal to me. I personally think that SWA has two plans in their secret vault.

1) Bring these two airlines together and move forward. This will include an "agreement" from the unions. If they do not get the "agreement" or feel that the SWA culture is being compromised, then on to the second plan.

2) Buy F9 and operate it separately. As they get more 73's they will phase out the bus and furlough. Eventually F9 will be gone and WN will have all their routes and a great foothold on DEN. (This is the ATA type deal) They will get around the A/M provisions because it will be operated as a separate "failing" company.

So back to number one. SWA pilots will not agree to anything but a staple. If F9 rejects this, then SWA moves to plan 2.

Is SWA above the law? NO, but they will use the law to accomplish what they want.

Option1 may be in the plans, but by the press releases saying "hiring Fontier employees" says no.

That leaves Option 2. Slowly bleed Frontier to death till it is nothing by a shrunken corpes with no assets, planes, gates and only a bunch of furloughed employees and Certifcate/name that SWA can sell to some upstart/new airline can buy and operate cheap.

This whole thing is great for SWA and most likely very very bad for Frontier pilots and employees. But I guess a preferential interview at SWA is better than nothing.

Just my opinion.......

FNG

They actually fly for a profitable airline! They do bring something to the table here or SWA wouldn't be trying to buy them.
making some money while in bankruptcy does not equal being a profitable airline. two airlines (so far) are doing the shopping and one is getting shopped.

I hope it works out for the F9 guys but if they really think that they'll be better off under Republic's wing than at SWA, by all means.

I sure hope the RAH guys are reading this. Take note gentleman. SW was not built overnight it took years for them to get to where they are today. That group has not forgotten that.

Dude,

Again, you don't get it. Look through the history books of SW. Muse Air Pilots were involved in "talks" with SW. They pushed for "integration" and look what that got them. You have to understand the company and culture here. There WILL BE NO INTEGRATION. Protection of some type, probably. That is as good as it is going to get. If FAPA comes in pushing for integration, the deal will be scrapped. PERIOD. Take a long look at your future with RAH and decide.

BUS

If you're unclear on the culture, rent a few episodes of Star Trek featuring the Borg. WN is a lot like that, only more devious and not as likable.

Latest resources

Back