• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier almost pulls a "Sully"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But then you seem to be so enamored with the "Sully" and can't seem to grasp that he and his crew were damn lucky. Period. Tell me how do you think the "Sully" would have done in darkness? Or IMC? What if he had a crosswind at touchdown? What if the river was crowded as it usually is?

I never brought up Sully. You're the enamored one. You sound like that airline captain guy on SNL that switched flights with Sully and was pissed he didn't get to crash in the Hudson.

Funny the Boeing test pilots crashed the sim 31 consecutive times trying to recreate the double spindle failure profile in HRL. They still claim you can't fly out of a spindle failure and have nothing but priase for our guys who did it.

Just think if the news would have got ahold of that one everyone would have been talking about how SWA flies our 737's single pilot with only an F/O much like they made it sound that Sully did it all himself.
And a WEST TEXAS boy to boot.

And a WEST TEXAS boy to boot.

Flew with him 3 trips before I found out he was the guy who flew out of the spindle failure. I found out when someone else told me. The Captain took the plane after it happened and promptly gave it back to the FO.

I never brought up Sully. You're the enamored one. You sound like that airline captain guy on SNL that switched flights with Sully and was pissed he didn't get to crash in the Hudson.

Might wanna look the definition of enamored...

Besides the "Sully" is part of the subject of the thread. I think maybe you need a little recap on comprehension. And for the record I loved that skit on SNL!

Since when do threads on FI stay on the subject?! HA! :beer:
I just checked and you are correct. You did not bring up the "Sully." However the thrust of my post was that he is no more a hero than any other pilot faced with difficult and unpredictable situations. In fact the investigation may prove that more could have been done. Thus my point about getting it to EWR. If you fly the bus you'll know what I am talking about. Gotta get those thrust levers up to toga...

It's when both "spindles" that actuate the flaps snap at one time leaving flaps 40 on one side of the jet and ZERO on the other side. You can imagine.

The FO was an aerobatic hot shot that made every right move the first time. Truly amazing.

But back to the F9 dudes. Well done!

Gup

Gup:

Is this a splt flap failure? I had that once on the 737, where one of the inboard flap actuactor broke and the other inboard flap fully extended. My memory is fading but if I remember correctly - that on the 737 the flap indicator and protection from split flaps is only provided by the outboard flaps - you can have a major problem with the inboards and it wouldn't indicate that in the cockpit - other that the extreme roll you would experience .

If that is what your talking about in night imc with flap 40 - I am impressed.

Metrojet

I just checked and you are correct. You did not bring up the "Sully." However the thrust of my post was that he is no more a hero than any other pilot faced with difficult and unpredictable situations. In fact the investigation may prove that more could have been done. Thus my point about getting it to EWR. If you fly the bus you'll know what I am talking about. Gotta get those thrust levers up to toga...

Dude, you are such a jealous douch bag.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back