• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frontier almost pulls a "Sully"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good job and a pat on the back for the pilots. Acknowledgment and a sense of accomplishment may not come from the company but a once and life time event with a great result needs to be recognized.

Good heavens! You really believe that don't you? Let me spell it out for you. THE PLANETS WERE ALIGNED THAT DAY! Plain and simple. Most, if not all, crews with a little experience on the 'bus would have performed similarly. Why? No IMC. No night. No winds. No crowded river.
You would have tried to make the runway and killed thousands of NYC citizens as well as all the passengers and crew.

What is a double spindle failure?

It's when both "spindles" that actuate the flaps snap at one time leaving flaps 40 on one side of the jet and ZERO on the other side. You can imagine.

The FO was an aerobatic hot shot that made every right move the first time. Truly amazing.

But back to the F9 dudes. Well done!

Gup

You would have tried to make the runway and killed thousands of NYC citizens as well as all the passengers and crew.

You miss the point highspeed. Did I suggest that or is it something you read into my point because I praised the Frontier crew for getting their bird on the ground. If #1 was at flight idle what would you have done? There is reason to believe that the thrust levers never left the idle detent. If they went to toga they might have found the could've limped it to EWR. But then you seem to be so enamored with the "Sully" and can't seem to grasp that he and his crew were damn lucky. Period. Tell me how do you think the "Sully" would have done in darkness? Or IMC? What if he had a crosswind at touchdown? What if the river was crowded as it usually is? Yeah I'd say he was lucky. All too often guys with all kinds of backgrounds do amazing things in airplanes possibly saving hundreds of lives and are never recognized. Problem is it isn't as sensational... Maybe the Frontier Capt can write a book! What do ya think? Would you buy it...?

Not really all that uncommon, just uncommon in the media when the plane lands uneventfully. Delta had two dual engine bird strikes the last few years... 1 in Rome on a 767-400 (pilots on that one got the ALPA superior airmanship award 2 years ago) and 1 in Nice on a 767-300. I've been shown pictures of a American 737 that trashed both engines with birds....
Leave it to a Delta pilot to say "we do it all the time". You guys do realize that you're not the only ones who fly planes, right?

Leave it to a Delta pilot to say "we do it all the time". You guys do realize that you're not the only ones who fly planes, right?

Leave it to a loser like yourself to pull that out of what he said.

Some people on this site just need to get it over with and go kick their dog.

What planet are you from? Sully is a national hero and has done more for this profession than any Southwest pilot ever has. The actions he took after both engines went dead were textbook and because of this 156 people are still alive.

Read the book Fly by Wire by William Langewieche that just came out...I do not view Sully in the same way anymore....He is out for $$$ and fame....that is it in my view. Read the book...Ch 1

Latest resources

Back