• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From the ALPA Age 60 Website...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not talking about ALPA's evolution from way back when. I'm talking last 7 years. That's almost a decade. What has ALPA done with regards to:

1) Cargo Cabotage (Allowed it to happen)

No, YOU allowed it to happen with our weak 14% contribution to ALPA-PAC. You wanted to stop Ted Stevens...??? it started along time before he introduced the Bill...

2) A-plans (Allowed the Wall Street to walk away with them)

The APA started that.... can you elobrate? How did they allow? B/c they didn't go ball kicking on wall street. You want thug union mentality go get the teamsters...

3) Concessionary bargaining/management accountability (Blindly agreeing to unnecessary contracts)

The rank and file voted in those concessionary contracts. Your fellow pilots with clear vision voted. Look around the crewroom...

4) Division amongst our ranks between Regional/Mainline pilots (RJDC bullsh*t)

Again look around the crewroom. Not sure where ALPA Nat'l created divisiveness on this... The RJDC is not ALPA.

5) Age 60 (About to change because "the conscience of the airline industry" is once again about to fold)

Please provide details not rhetoric

6) Open skies with EU (ALPA is "concerned." Start the Pink Ribbon Panel already!!!)

More PAC money needed... but too many pilots taking one issue stands. Are you going to DC on May 17th?

The time to get effective on open skies is now, not after the law is passed. Which is usually when guys like you get involved. AFTER the fact, then you cry in your wheaties that ALPA is outdated and can't think out side the box.

7) TSA abuse of crewmembers (Been going on since after 9/11 with lip service from ALPA).

Did you voted for Bush. 2x The public outcry for airport security after 9/11 was loud. If ALPA opposed that they would be called terrorist sympathizers... You seem to want it both ways....

ALPA and the AFL-CIO did oppose Bush's insistance on the fact that the TSA could not unionize. Now the TSA has a staffing and rention problem... more ALPA's fault?

Need I go on?

Can you without emotion and rhetoric?

Look Rez... ALPA is an outdated organization. You can't compare the accomplishments of ALPA's founders to the current events. Apples and Potatoes (not even close enough to be apples and oranges).

can you compare? if ALPA is so outdated then let's update. Do you want to update by keeping an old dated policy in place when the rest of the world is forward thinking?

ALPA founders used OUTSIDE-OF-THE-BOX thinking to get things changed. Today's ALPA can't think outside of the box if the outside of the box bitchslapped them twice and kicked them in the ass. It is no longer a union. No more teeth in ALPA. Because of that, the management and the government both lost their respect for us. That is why you see this endless pattern of bullsh*t.

You seem to have a romantic notion of the good ol days... Tell me the effective teeth that ALPA had? Like what? Exaclty what did ALPA do in the past that was so great that you long for?

Would you do a Pinnacle Summer of Love to finally get a decent contract kinda like UAL pilots did back in 2000? Oh heavens no! You wouldn't want to do that. It's all about being pragmatic, right? UAL pilots proved in 2000 that the management only understands being kicked in the balls because being pragmatic does not work. Now it's government's turn to learn if ALPA has any fight left in it. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear so.

Wow..now you are speaking for me? Don't presume to... I've look management in the face at my previous employers and told to em to stick it... and the one before that. Unions are the only way you can literally tell the CEO to phcuk off. Been there done that...

Oh you wanna show gov't. Back to the PAC. Money is the only way to be heard in DC. Next...

Brother... I think it's you that needs to get connected. ALPA is SERIOUSLY f**ked up, and when it gets off its ass and gets beyond the flashy worded circle-jerk, you better believe I'll be there.

Until then.... SAVE YOUR MONEY!

But you have no solutions.. just rhetoric and emotional tirade..... You seem to lack the understanding of how things really work and thus you have no solutions excpet ball kicking.... I can tell you it doesn't work.....been there done that...

But I'll ask again... What do you expect ALPA to do on Age 60 that it isn't and tell us how.

For example- don't say Prater should call Blakely and say "My pilots demand that you will not change age 60" And then call the problem solved.

Lets hear realistic workable solutions and the methodologies to implement them, not excuses such as "I pay my dues THEY should just do what I want"

The point... Guys like you that don't support the guys who are trying to get it done are divisive. Your anger and angst are counterproductive. Sure we can disagree but at the end of the day we need to pull on the same rope. (kinda like CRM).

One reason ALPA has failed is because when they go to the Hill there are plenty of pilots there...all singing different tunes. Guess what the Congressmen do? SHUT THEM OUT. All of them.. and they write us off as indecisive and unorganized.

You can get Age 60, but you've got to do more than just pay your dues and pout. Sorry man, but that is just the way it is... its not my fault, ALPA's fault, your fault or thier fault... it is just the way it is....

Frog soup

ALPA is just playing the membership like making frog soup.

You know how frogs are cooked. You put the little guy in the pot of cool water. You start the fire under the pot and slowly bring it to a boil till the little guy is cooked well done.

ALPA is doing the same thing to its membership. It has us in the pot and it is boiling us down as it heats up the water on each issue.

Age 65 added a blow torch to the pot. All the while ALPA sits there and tells us they are working for the membership as ALPA cooks us by increasing the water temp. ever so slowly.

ALPA does not look out for the interest of its general membership, so how do you figure the general membership is going to support ALPA in the long run?

Last edited:
Anyone? Can anyone talk about the right way to go about keeping age60? I'm not talking about frog analogies...

I am talking about the effective way to deal with the FAA, DOT, WH, House of Reps, Senate, ICAO and other unions on this issue....

How do we deal with these organizations without pissing all or some of them off and getting ourselves removed from the process all while convincing them that while Age 60 is not in thier best interests they should keep it....

I agree with you in that we should kep age 60.... its the how...

If you spent as much time trying to be a better pilot than trying to get a short-cut, the American flying public would be a lot better off.

If you spent as much time trying to be a better pilot than trying to get a short-cut, the American flying public would be a lot better off.

What are you talking about?
This rule has been in effect since before you got your first flying lesson. Having it remain the same is NOT a short cut.

I'm guessing that you're in your early to mid 50s and figure you'll get another 5 years in the left seat. At the expense of those at the regionals whom you've just insulted with your last two posts.
I'm 46 years old, hold a 767FO bid at UAL, and with the current progress of the NPRM, the EARLIEST I see this enacted is Jan 2010 (more likely bogged down much longer than that). I'll be 49 in Jan 2010; someone who should be pushing for the change. But I'm not because this instant seniority grab is stealing from those that you're so busy insulting. Acts such as that have turned this from a profession into a job.
Propose a 20 year phase-in where the age increases by 3 mos/yr and maybe you can get some support behind it. But that doesn't fit your desires because you'd probably only be able to remain until 61.

In closing, PLEASE tell us how YOU paid your dues. We'll match it up to those guys who have been at regionals for the last 7 years and still waiting for a job at a major. I'm sure that my 4yrs 10mos on furlough from UAL isn't very much dues paying.

Anyone? Can anyone talk about the right way to go about keeping age60?

Yeah, have an ALPA President who both publicly AND privately voices support for age 60. I don't think that JP is doing that in private; he sure as he!! isn't doing it in public.

Don't forget that the ALPA President is THE face and voice of ALPA. The pragmatic crap only goes so far with me.

Now, when's the ALPA poll going to start so that I can tell JP where to stick his pragmatism?

Rez, you're telling us to get behind an organization whose face and voice is not representing us, the majority.

I,ve got over 25 years as an ALPA member, as opposed to your approximately 5. Some of us have not had the benefit of having worked for a major airline and thus are not really in a position to retire. I think the regional airline pilots should be given date of hire at the airlines that own them, or code-share with them. Most of those pilots have a lot more invested in their airlines and careers than you do. And a lot more airline experience. They have paid their dues. Jet Blue got one thing right, that is that any pilot flying a jet aircraft should have their seniority protected from guys that leap-frog the seniority list like you have, and then complain about it. New guys should spend more time learning than preaching.

Yeah, have an ALPA President who both publicly AND privately voices support for age 60. I don't think that JP is doing that in private; he sure as he!! isn't doing it in public.

Perhaps he doesn't want to piss off the FAA, WH, and congress...the groups he has to wrk with on this issue. Nothing like pre loading your demise... after all it is... politics...

Don't forget that the ALPA President is THE face and voice of ALPA. The pragmatic crap only goes so far with me.

Yeah baby.. you and bravado can show pragmitism whos boss....

Now, when's the ALPA poll going to start so that I can tell JP where to stick his pragmatism?

You and FJ and FD sound like just the silver bullet Hollywood ending cowboys this association needs! Why didn't YOU run for ALPA President.

Rez, you're telling us to get behind an organization whose face and voice is not representing us, the majority.

No, I am telling you to cool your heels and chill. I am telling you to get more involved and envoke change the way you want it....

Already in progress. Calls started a few days ago.

Latest resources

Back