From PPrune... Iberia flight "chancing it?"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bended Metal

atlas's bended metal at campinas ( a 200) . Can't remeber wheter they landed short or long now, but they destroy the plane and the approach lights. no major injuries to the crew.2000 or 2001? i rmember going there and seeing the reconstruction work.

Is not the only time they have bended metal either.

just a fact that anyone can have problems going to SA.

Well, this is news to me, considering that I have been here since 1999, based in MIA and have been flying to VCP all these years. I cannot recall destroying a plane down there, but thanks for the update. ;)

Last edited:
I don't know the conditions in BOS that day, but quite often when it it's quite cold, the falling snow does not ADHERE to the a/c at all and quickly blows off at low speed. Perhaps that airline's crew was trained to recognize this instead of the knee jerk de-ice that we in the US do at the very slightest cold wx precip.

Mach 80.. the FARs are very clear on conditions requring deicing or not. If there is any form of frozen precip on the aircraft... you deice. No pilot can make an absolute determination on whether stuff will "blow off the aircraft." That has been written in blood.

Mach 80.. the FARs are very clear on conditions requring deicing or not. If there is any form of frozen precip on the aircraft... you deice.

Yes, the FARs are very clear, and that's not what they say. Re-read 91.527 again:

(a) No pilot may take off an airplane that has--
(1) Frost, snow, or ice adhering to any propeller, windshield, or powerplant installation or to an airspeed, altimeter, rate of climb, or flight attitude instrument system;
(2) Snow or ice adhering to the wings or stabilizing or control surfaces; or
(3) Any frost adhering to the wings or stabilizing or control surfaces, unless that frost has been polished to make it smooth.

A little powdered snow on a dry, frozen wing is not adhering to the surface, and does not automatically require deicing.

In my past life as a turboprop driver, on my post/preflight, I could tell it the stuff was sticking, or if it was simply dry powder that you could blow off. (If I can blow it off, 100+ knots can, too.)

I don't know how you could do that on a heavy.

Don't forget:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Ontario_Flight_1363

Cold Soaked is the Key

I was in BOS last night too, and the snow there was very light and wispy.

I work for a legacy carrier that used to have the most ridiculous, overkill, 100 step deicing procedure. This was a knee jerk response by the company and feds to a fatal takeoff accident we had involving clear ice. The year after the accident, 17 crews were violated one day in PIT because they took off with NO precipitation falling, NO precipitaton the aircraft, but the ATIS reporting "light snow".

That's how out of control it got.

Fast forward 15 years, and we are able to use our judgement again. Our winterization guide allows us to take off with light snow on a cold soaked aircraft (IE like an A-340 that just finished a 10 hour flight).

One difference is, we can't take off in this situation with any precip FALLING as this Iberia apparently did.

I doubt our friends from Spain put as much thought into this as we have however.

wich bears the question, why do they send the ugly ones to New York? i mean c'mon ,have you guys ever walked around kew gardens or forest hills? jesus what an attrocity!!!!

LOL. Never thought I'd see Forest Hills mentioned on this board. Thats my hometown!

Yeah, I'm not Jewish, but grew up in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood. Most of my friends were Jewish - in fact I'm kinda an honorary Jew in a sense as my personality is somewhat inline with the streotype.

But yeah, some of the Israeli girls were a little fuggly. As a teenager we used to call this one chick "donkey face." Teens are so mean and terrible. I actually thought she looked okay. The more acclimated non-orthodox girls were many times hot. Some were refered to as "JAPs" which stood for Jewish American Princess. You know the type - lots of Benetton and the like.

I wonder if there's a spanish version of FI, and they're discussing the same thing we're doing at the exact moment:)

Instead of hot chicks in Seattle, they'll subsitute with BCN, instead of NYC, they'll substitute MAD.

I immediately replied with a 'yes you do!!' as the whole of the A340 was covered in snow,with visible deposits on all surfaces including the tops of the wings.

I never thought CRM also applied to pilots sitting in cockpits of other airplanes. Are you a A340 pilot? Do you know what is the deicing procedure in Iberia? What makes you qualified to boss another professional, may be even more experieced than you, crew?

I called ATC and just stated that the A340 was covered in snow,as we had a birds eye view,hoping they would intervene in the interests of safety.
But that was the last we heard,and they took off.
Quite possibly the most unprofessional bit of aviation I've ever seen. "

Hmm... I think your call to ATC was very unprofessional. Let the FEDs worry about that stuff.

Reminds me of one time when our airplane was hangered overnight and we didn't need to deice that morning. Well, guees what? When we requested taxi to the runway some smart a$$ probably sitting in an ice covered airplane made a comment similar to yours on the frequency. I just ignored it.

Sometimes you just wonder about professionalism, courtesy and respect in this industry.

I never thought CRM also applied to pilots sitting in cockpits of other airplanes. Are you a A340 pilot? Do you know what is the deicing procedure in Iberia? What makes you qualified to boss another professional, may be even more experieced than you, crew?

Hmm... I think your call to ATC was very unprofessional. Let the FEDs worry about that stuff.

So you're saying you wouldn't urinate on someone even if they were on fire.

First, aa73 wasn't the pilot involved, it's a direct quote from a post on pprune.

Secondly, OF COURSE CRM applies beyond the cockpit in question, that's the whole point! The use of "Resources" such as cabin crew, atc, dispatch, and when need be, other flight crews ("Hey, are we on fire?" or "Hey, your gear pins are still in")

Thirdly, "courtesy"? You would rather see an A340-600 possibly fireball off the end of the runway than perhaps step on someone's toes? While neither outcome is assured, one is much worse than the other.

Thanks Cardinal. No I wasn't involved, but I would have DEFINITELY said something as well - both in English and spanish.

CA1900, you are correct regarding quoting the exact wording of the FARs. You know what I meant, I just wasn't as concise as you were. Bottom line, as you pointed out - "adhering" can be misinterpreted, especially as precip continues to fall.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back