• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

From Apaad We Won!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What would your stance have been on this subject 5,10,20 years ago? Honest answer. You old timers reaped the rewards of the age 60 rule and NOW you want to change it because its your turn to step aside like the many other professional aviators before you. Bow out, its your turn for the Water cannon Shower or stay and get the golden shower treatment by your fellow pilots.

I have always been in favor of changing the age 60 rule. Too bad for me though because I missed the cut. Of course, welfare isn't that bad, money doesn't make a person happy. My house trailer is warm in the winter. And no more all nighters, MiaTias or late parties; this is definately an improvement on a person's health. Less stress is better and I don't have to worry about losing my retirement!

Last edited:
I have always been in favor of changing the age 60 rule. Too bad for me though because I missed the cut. Of course, welfare isn't that bad, money doesn't make a person happy. My house trailer is warm in the winter. And no more all nighters, MiaTias or late parties; this is definately an improvement on a person's health. Less stress is better and I don't have to worry about losing my retirement!

Ok well how is it fair that you retired at 60 yet others behind you should now have it differently? They took your spot and pay and didnt fight for you to be able to stay. This is nothing more than the top selling out the bottom, again. It pretty pathetic in my opinion. On a serious note, enjoy retirement and be glad you dont have to be a part of this messed up industry anymore.:beer:

Sounds like you just want something (money) for nothing. I've got an idea for you, its called work for pay. Or maybe you just should quit now and become a wellfare burden on society.

It wasn't something (money) for nothing. It was MONEY for WORK done over a career. Now, I have to work longer to make the same amount of money or work the same to make over 1/2million dollars less money. I have been robbed in career earnings with this change. I hope you APAADs are happy that at least everyone has been equally f*cked over now. Congrats.

Coming from the original "me generation", your comment about burdens on society is ironic.

I hope you had to sell your two airplanes. I wouldn't want you to be a burden on society in your old age, after all.

To those of you who are opposed to this change in the Age 60 rule, what would your position have been back when ALPA fought the imposition of the rule by American Airlines as a company policy and won back through arbitration the jobs of those pilots who were fired by American Airlines back in the 50's? ALPA opposed the imposition of the rule back then. The arbitrator gave those pilots over the age of 60 their jobs back. How would you have felt about the issue back then?

The head of Ameircan Airlines back then worked out a deal with the head of the C.A.B. to implement the Age 60 rule and it stuck back then. Ameircan worked around the ruling of the arbitrator and got the rule implemented by the CAB. It's been with us for six decades. Ironic that APA sought to keep a rule in place that American Airlines management was responsible for and that ALPA successfully fought through arbitration at the time.

So, again, what would your positon have been back then?

You'll be 60 some day. When you have the choice to continue working and some of you will continue to work, what will you think then?

It's not a done deal, it still has to be put through the senate. There's no way this will pass before the recess.

It's not a done deal, it still has to be put through the senate. There's no way this will pass before the recess.

Nope. Done deal. Senate passed it by unanimous consent tonight. Going to the President for signature tomorrow.

Sorry to have to inform you of this, but age 65 has passed the Senate tonight. It will be signed by the President tomorrow and law on the same day: 12/13/07..

Now we need to start on chaning to age 70. Age 65 is pure age discrimination.

You'll be 60 some day. When you have the choice to continue working and some of you will continue to work, what will you think then?

When I turn 60, I'll have the chance to say, "Well, since the age 60 rule changed, I'm missing $750,000 in career earnings, so I probably need to stay for a few extra years to make it up."

Age 65: Allowing pilots all over to work for free for 2-3 years.

Latest resources

Back