Friendly NJI/NJA discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sctt@NJA said:
Jeez its not rocket science. It will probably work the same way it does now at NJA when any captain moves to a new airplane. They fly for awhile as an "unreleased captain" (FO for practical purposes) to gain experience. This lasts anywhere from 3 to 9 months and then they are good to go.

Right, a few months of pseudo captain experience at NJA is roughly equivalent to years of Gulfstream international captain experience in the real world.

Sctt@NJA said:
Which pretty much explains the BBJ street captains who were there to bridge that experience gap during the ramp up.

Those "street captains" were around for years and it's already been beat to death on these boards that there are many here that think the BBJ operation was the blind leading the blind. Not a good example.

AA717driver - your experience of being hired into the left seat of a Gulfstream with no prior Gulfstream experience is certainly not typical of the industry. Your employer probably didn't want to pay for a Gulfstream captain. I'm betting that your compensation reflects that.

NJAFracPilot said:
Looks like the military Gulfstream good-ole-boy hiring network is kicking in.

Actually, looks like asses smell one another out. They enjoy the time spent in the cockpit saying "Okay, enough about you...let's talk about ME!"

I've got to tell you that it's this strange arrogant attitude that prevails with many G-string guys and has been predominant in many over at NJI. Many of the NJI pilots AND flight attendants (for unknown reasons) have held their noses high around us NJA folks when we walk into their presence. Not all of them, but most. I never could understand how flying something as simple as a G-String could create such a character flaw.

I'm able to hold a G-string PIC slot when they come available but will probably let a few others slide in first and smooth things out. And besides, I would be taking a reduction in QOL since they don't have a 7 & 7 until they are consolidated.

Jet Fuel,

Better learn a little more about NJI before posting. 50% of crewmembers at NJI have had 7-7 for more than 2 years. The rest are on 6-5 and scheduling is always willing to move things around a bit to accomodate special events in crewmembers' lives. If you are senior enough at NJA to hold the 1 for 3 integration at NJI, you will be able to hold 7-7.

GEXDriver said:
Right, a few months of pseudo captain experience at NJA is roughly equivalent to years of Gulfstream international captain experience in the real world.

You know, I think I have figured out something here. You see at NJA many of us have recent experience in multiple airplane types. You see we have the ability to fly one airplane for awhile and then switch and fly a different type.

You guys have been flying only G4s and its offshoots. You are so stuck on one airplane type that maybe you aren't comfortable with the idea of flying anything different. Maybe new airplanes scare you a bit?

Must be true because otherwise you would see that flying a new airplane is no big deal.

gutshotdraw said:
Jet Fuel,

Better learn a little more about NJI before posting. 50% of crewmembers at NJI have had 7-7 for more than 2 years. The rest are on 6-5 and scheduling is always willing to move things around a bit to accomodate special events in crewmembers' lives. If you are senior enough at NJA to hold the 1 for 3 integration at NJI, you will be able to hold 7-7.

Thanks for the info. I'm a quick study. But instead of learning a new set of work rules, I think I'll just wait the three years. Besides, my sick days accomodate me quite well during those "special events" and scheduling actually must get me home on my 7th day and can't hold me hostage for day 8 or 9 'cuz it wouldn't be prudent or efficient. I'll never have to work on day 8 unless I chose to do so. My contract only allows the company to use that eighth day to airline me home. And for my trouble, I collect nearly a couple thousand dollars and get the equal time off of my first day on the next tour. 40 percent more of your pilots will have the opportunity for an improved lifestyle with their families on the 7 and 7. I think you're really going to appreciate all the protections that our hard won work rules will provide those of you at NJI in three years.

Last edited:
Sctt@NJA said:
You know, I think I have figured out something here. You see at NJA many of us have recent experience in multiple airplane types. You see we have the ability to fly one airplane for awhile and then switch and fly a different type.

You guys have been flying only G4s and its offshoots. You are so stuck on one airplane type that maybe you aren't comfortable with the idea of flying anything different. Maybe new airplanes scare you a bit?

Must be true because otherwise you would see that flying a new airplane is no big deal.

wrong-- they been there, done that. they are probably just satisfied with what they are doing.:eek:

You think we haven't "been there done that"?

Does that include our former Airforce One pilots? Our former NASA test pilots? Our former wide body international airline captains? You really think their pilots are of a different quality than ours?

My copilot last tour was telling me about the "around the world" tours that he would fly at Pan Am in the 60s. Talk about "been there and done that"!

The interesting thing is seeing how different everyones backgrounds are and how little it seems to matter when paired as a respectful professional crew.

Sctt@NJA said:
You think we haven't "been there done that"?

i didn't infer that. you are reading things into my post. you seemed to have it all figured out. take a deep breath then beam me up scotty. :pimp:

Last edited:
GEXDriver said:
AA717driver - your experience of being hired into the left seat of a Gulfstream with no prior Gulfstream experience is certainly not typical of the industry. Your employer probably didn't want to pay for a Gulfstream captain. I'm betting that your compensation reflects that.

I know it's not typical. My department is certainly NOT the type to hire low-experience types just to avoid paying for a "Gulfstream captain".

They could have paid a lot of salary for the $100k in training I've done in the past two years.

Sometimes they hire G-types and sometimes they don't. My compensation reflects the sorry state of corporate aviation in the Midwest. And, I'm not willing to move to New Jersey/York to get "industry standard".TC

CE750Driver said:
I have flown with all types at NJA. Including a thud driver that was shot down and spent over 7 1/2 years at the Hanoi Hilton, a SR 71 pilot, who, if he likes you will tell you many things that arent written in the history books. Many airline pilots that have flown 747s when they were a new plane. Men that MADE history and have movies about their lives.

Sctt@NJA said:
Does that include our former Airforce One pilots? Our former NASA test pilots? Our former wide body international airline captains? You really think their pilots are of a different quality than ours?

My copilot last tour was telling me about the "around the world" tours that he would fly at Pan Am in the 60s.

Something here doesn't add up. No offense, but you'd think that women and men with this sort of experience and qualifications could find a better job than working at NJA. SeaSpray seems to have options.

Someone posted that everything at NJA works on seniority and the company makes no effort to match qualifications with requirements. So these people with all the experience and glorious histories probably wouldn't fly the Gulfstreams anyways, right?

Sctt, your post seems to substantiate this claim. You did say that it was your co-pilot that had all that "around the world" experience. Presumably, he is qualified in larger aircraft than the Hawker and has more total time than your 4,000 hours.

_SkyGirl_

Latest resources

Back