• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Friday Afternoon Breaking News- Dallas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guppy: This is a compromise. That means neither side got exactly what they wanted. From there it is up to reasonable people to abide by it. This is the second accord reached on Love Field, your outfit is the one that squirmed out of deal number one. Everybody else was fine with it. You pick a horse.

I want to hear some more on this, but a permanent max gate number of 20, 8 years of "WA like" restrictions for other interested parties to prepare...I like it. I think it's a pretty clean deal. I'm ready to go back to liking SWA pilots.

Last edited:
Again, It looks like a good deal:

Cities agree on Wright repeal

Dallas Business Journal - 2:34 PM CDT Thursday
by Margaret Allen
Staff Writer

The mayors of Dallas and Fort Worth unveiled an agreement Thursday that would lift all Wright Amendment restrictions at Dallas Love Field after eight years.
Representatives of Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV), based at Love, and American Airlines (NYSE: AMR), based in Fort Worth at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, attended the announcement and signed the agreement during a Thursday afternoon news conference at the Grand Hyatt Hotel at D/FW Airport.
The Wright Amendment limits flights from Dallas Love Field to a few surrounding states. Love Field is the base for low-fare carrier Southwest Airlines, which has been fighting to repeal the flight restrictions.
The compromise announced Thursday allows "through ticketing" to all 50 states for Southwest, but would eventually cap the total number of gates available at Love Field at 20.
Under the deal, Southwest would be giving up control of eight gates. Southwest would get 16 gates, while American and Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) would get two apiece.
The pact also provides for $150 million-$200 million in upgrades at city-owned Love Field, including a new main terminal, a restaurant and improvements to the airport's entrances and exits. The figure includes retirement of old debt and the possible purchase and demolition by the city of Dallas of the former Legend Airlines terminal. The Legend terminal is privately held.
The upgrades would also include a "people mover" to a Dallas Area Rapid Transit station. The improvements would be paid for with new landing fees and a passenger facility charge.
The deal also bans international flights from Love -- both nonstop or through connecting service. International flights would only be allowed from D/FW.
During the eight years until Wright is repealed, no new passenger flights to states beyond the Wright Amendment-restricted area would be allowed from Love Field or from any airports within an 80-mile radius of Love, except D/FW.
All sides said they would oppose attempts by other states to modify the Wright Amendment. And all parties must agree in order to modify any portion of the agreement.
Everyone made a sacrifice, but worked together to come up with a solution to the Wright debate, officials said.
"The only victor, the only sure-fire winner from this agreement, is the public," said Herb Kelleher, chairman of Southwest, who said he was pleased with the outcome.
D/FW Airport's Jeff Fegan said, "This agreement, I believe, will eliminate a great uncertainty that has plagued our airport over the years." Fegan is CEO of D/FW.
American's Dan Garton, executive vice president of marketing, said the agreement was in the best interest of American and the community and should allow employees to move forward and concentrate on its financial turnaround and customer service. Gerard Arpey, president, chairman and CEO of American, was out of town and did not attend the news conference.
Offiials said they came to an agreement during talks that included both airlines Wednesday night at the Omni Mandalay Hotel in Irving.
The Dallas City Council is to vote on the resolution on June 28, and Fort Worth is to vote at its Tuesday meeting.
Officials said that through-ticketing for Southwest could would start with the passage of a bill through Congress.
The agreement takes place only if Congress passes legislation amending Wright. If Congress doesn't do anything by the end of the year, the pact expires unless the parties agree to extend it.

I sure am glad Flopguts airline is doing so well, that his biggest concern is an issue involving American and Southwest. Maybe it's time to revive CALlite?:puke:

Flopgut said:
I'm ready to go back to liking SWA pilots.

We don't care.:puke:

I think its bull$hit! I say 3 years tops, AA gets the hell out of DAL.. and we get all but 4 gates.

You guys are tools. This is not that bad a compromise. Hopefully, you guys won't be trying to get Congress to tweak it.

You SWA types ought to try living with HALF the crap legacies have in the last 5 years.

poor legacies...made their own bed, now they are having a hard time sleeping in it. Their "model" needs tweaking and its all our fault.

I hope congress tweaks it all over the place.

Welch on this deal, or get it messed with, I think you'll regret it. The tide is turning? Screw with this deal and it will!

My favorite part: The eighty mile arc around DFW freezing you out of moving to another Dallas area airport. They've realized it aint low fares or some attachment to Love Field, SWA just wants to screw up the process.

Flopgut said:
My favorite part: The eighty mile arc around DFW freezing you out of moving to another Dallas area airport. They've realized it aint low fares or some attachment to Love Field, SWA just wants to screw up the process.

I hate to tell you this Flopgut but you are dead wrong. And this is coming from me; a furloughed pilot from AA.

SWA wants DAL and nothing else in the Metroplex. Why? Because they are more interested in providing their pax a quick and easy trip to downtown Dallas from Love field.

Sorry bud, but you totally stuck your foot in your mouth with that last statement.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back