Friday Afternoon Breaking News- Dallas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
I hate to tell you this Flopgut but you are dead wrong. And this is coming from me; a furloughed pilot from AA.

SWA wants DAL and nothing else in the Metroplex. Why? Because they are more interested in providing their pax a quick and easy trip to downtown Dallas from Love field.

Sorry bud, but you totally stuck your foot in your mouth with that last statement.

Then why the eighty mile arc? You think they weren't tuned in to what SWA threatened to do in Seattle? They know the SWA modus operandi. They would have gone to Addison or even Northwest Regional, or maybe even built their own airport. The agreement is well written, I hope it becomes law.

Flopgut said:
The agreement is well written, I hope it becomes law.

Interesting wording in the agreement. So, do you have to land at an intermediate airport if 137 pax are through ticketed to a second airport? Probably not. Sounds like a loophole you could drive a truck er 737-700 through.

Its just a click and paste...nothing else, relax sweetheart!

June 15, 2006

Dallas and Fort Worth announce agreement that includes thru-ticketing
out of Dallas Love Field.

Southwest would gain immediate through-ticketing from a
newly-renovated Love Field but would remain under Wright Amendment restrictions
until 2015 under a compromise proposal that Chairman Herb Kelleher signed
today along with Dallas and Fort Worth mayors, American Airlines and DFW
Airport.
"No doubt we'd all like to have the restrictions lifted much sooner
than later," SWAPA President, Capt. Ike Eichelkraut, said. "But like many
business moves that the Company has made during its 35-year history, I
have confidence that the long-term view is being considered with this
compromise."

The agreement calls for all parties to aggressively lobby Congress
for speedy passage of the locally-agreed terms. If Congress fails to
act by Dec. 31, the deal is off unless all parties agree to extend. If
Congress alters the local proposal and repeals any Wright restrictions
sooner than 2015, Southwest agrees to give up rights to all but eight
gates. Currently Southwest operates out of 14 gates.

The proposal also calls for Dallas City Council to amend the Love Field
Master Plan to limit the number of gates to 20 instead of the current
32-gate maximum. After four years, Southwest would keep rights to 16
gates instead of the 21 it currently owns; American would keep two of the
three gates it currently owns; and Continental would keep the two gates
it currently owns.

"We know that this compromise falls short of what Southwest - and our
pilots - wanted in order to sustain our growth within a tough,
competitive market," SWAPA Vice President, Capt. Carl Kuwitzky, said. "But as
pilots and as a union we will do whatever it takes to support the
Company's position in this compromise and make sure that Southwest has an
opportunity to thrive and not just survive."

Frankly, it makes me think: was going to DFW that bad? SWA could do anything they want from DFW. You guys could order 50 triple 7s or all the Airbus 380s you could stand (are going ever cheaper) and go anywhere, do anything, you want.

But, that's been the point all along and that's why the agreement is the way it is. It's not overly bad for AA/DFW, it's not overly good for SWA. You guys aren't taking it that well cause you aren't use to anything not favorably lopsided.

Flopgut said:
Then why the eighty mile arc? You think they weren't tuned in to what SWA threatened to do in Seattle? They know the SWA modus operandi. They would have gone to Addison or even Northwest Regional, or maybe even built their own airport. The agreement is well written, I hope it becomes law.

I dont know and could care less about Seattle. But I do know Dallas and the fact that SWA was founded at Love field and the fact that their headquarters is there would lead me to believe that they do not and will not go anywhere else in the Metroplex.

It really isn't all that difficult to understand why they are doing this.

Flopgut said:
This system has a history. The SWA corrective action: Remove/replace competition.

I don't understand....SWA has never been part of a decision to remove/replace competition. Now, the competition has in the past, made their own choice to not compete or leave a certain market altogether...but to the best of my knowledge, Herb never had a say in those decisions.

In many cases, SWA flies the same type airplanes, to the same destinations...why some chose to not compete is their own choice, not SWA's

Tejas

Tejas-Jet said:
I don't understand....SWA has never been part of a decision to remove/replace competition. Now, the competition has in the past, made their own choice to not compete or leave a certain market altogether...but to the best of my knowledge, Herb never had a say in those decisions.

In many cases, SWA flies the same type airplanes, to the same destinations...why some chose to not compete is their own choice, not SWA's

Tejas

Yes, SWA has. I get a bunch of crap for not being able to cut and paste some documented proof here, but it's no less true. I fly with a large number of Braniff guys with first hand accounts.

DFW opened and the only carrier who stayed at Love was SWA. Braniff went back to Love and matched SWA on every leg and every fare. SWA was not going to last long, so Herb had Braniff removed.

If you know a Braniff guy, ask him. I'm talking a real Braniff guy, not Braniff 2 or 3. Ask one who worked for Harding Lawrence.

I really want to stop talking about this, let's keep the story straight and move on. Good agreement, let's get it done.

Dangerkitty said:
I dont know and could care less about Seattle. But I do know Dallas and the fact that SWA was founded at Love field and the fact that their headquarters is there would lead me to believe that they do not and will not go anywhere else in the Metroplex.

It really isn't all that difficult to understand why they are doing this.

Your way behind the power curve.

Luckily, the authors of this agreement weren't going to give SWA the benefit of the doubt.

canyonblue said:
I sure am glad Flopguts airline is doing so well, that his biggest concern is an issue involving American and Southwest. Maybe it's time to revive CALlite?:puke:

I'm not sure what your saying.

Are you not the least bit pleased? The WA is going away. What are you so fussy about? I'm sorry the nature of the compromise doesn't dictate you, SWA/FO and Ivauir doing an overproduced-10-page-thread-victorylap-endzone dance. It is a decent deal though.

Latest resources

Back