Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sir, thank you. sir..

as214 said:
You're not even in the same league as RJPilot, you should mind your manners and show some respect. He'd run circles around your asz in the sky!

You are right. Now excuse me while I go find a rock to crawl under. :rolleyes:

RJPilott said:
Are you guys telling me that you taxi on those type of snow drifts on a regular basis during winter ops? You dont take any type of de-ice fluid with a decent holdover time when its snowing? Look at the video again. That taxiway isnt a few inches that wasnt unplowed. The snow drifts were splashing up on to the windshield...lol

Holy crap, you mean you've never done that type of flying before? You don't know what you're missing.

I remember taxiing out one December in Elkhart, Indiana, in a Cessna 402 with thin, patchy ice on the runways and taxiways. Sun had just set, temperature dropped just enough so that whatever slush and puddles had been liquid quickly refroze.

I was creeping along, had just pulled on the runway from the taxiway, tried to turn the airplane to line up with the runway centerline and nothing happened. Locked up the brakes, airplane's momentum kept me sliding towards the snow bank on the other side. Black ice sucks. Goosed the left motor, and the airplane started to turn to line up. Gave it more left throttle, airplane's nose was pointed 45 degrees to the right of the centerline now, but the bird was still slightly sliding left. Pushed both throttles up, got enough power in to stop the left slide, CAREFULLY pushed in alternating left and right throttle to correct back to the centerline. Eventually got rudder effectiveness, figured there was no way I was stopping so I pushed it up and hauled a$$ out of there.

Another time I was inbound to South Bend, Indiana, and was in moderate icing the whole way no matter what altitude I climbed/descended to. When the Great Lakes don't freeze over, those suckers are mega-snow/ice machines. I was flying the C402 B model, so friggin' gargoyles were growing off the tip tanks, and as fast as I could blow the boots, 1/2" to 3/4" of ice would reappear. It's 0400, tower's closed, and as center is vectoring me to the localizer I listen to the ASOS and it's 1/4 FZFG BLSN VV001. I'm thinking about going somewhere else, but I'm starting to realize the TAFs lied and it's like this just about everywhere. Additionally, I find that I have been having to add power just to maintain altitude, because all the unprotected surfaces are getting a really nice, heavy layer of ice on them. Pretty soon, I'm on the approach with props full, throttles almost all the way up, even though I'm descending on the glideslope. Pretty soon I've got the throttles all the way up, and the only way I can maintain speed is to descend a dot or so below the glide to keep the speed, then level slightly to let the glidepath come back to me, and repeat. During one of the level portions of doing this, the airplane slowed to about 130 knots and started bucking, almost like it was stalling. I shoved the yoke forward, and it got worse; when I eased off, the shaking stopped. I made a concious decision to not use the flaps, since they were P.O.S. split ones anyhow, and also since I didn't know what the heck was going on aerodynamically with the bird. I opted to leave the landing lights off to minimize the 'Star Wars' effect and maximize my opportunity to see the approach lights. As I came down to mins, I see the glow of the approach lights, which is good, since I don't have the power or energy to go missed anyway. The approach lights never become more than a fuzzy outline, and it is snowing pretty good. I pick up the threshold, and then ONE set of runway lights. The snow removal crews haven't been out for a while, so the runway has several inches of snow on it, there's blowing snow, some fog for extra pucker factor - everything is white, though at this time of the morning it was more along the lines of shades of gray...imagine the depth perception problem! I figure minimal flare is required, and somehow I arrive, though I think the Almighty was doing the flying. When the airplane smacked the runway, it was as if I had been caught in a barrier because of the effect the snow had on deceleration. It took me over 30 minutes to taxi to the FBO, which was only 300 yards from the first taxiway I could find. When I gathered myself up, hopped out of the airplane, and checked it over, I found out that the horizontal stab boots hadn't been working at all and what I'd experienced on final was a tailplane stall. This was well before NASA did their studies on it, and I hadn't heard of it before then.

RJ, if you haven't done freight flying, don't attempt to critique that video. You know not of what you speak.

RJPilott said:
Aww.. come on Caravanman. We know you dream of wearing that polyester suit dragging your roller with bright shiny wings on your chest and some giggling FA on your arm. I mean you are flying what seems to be some nice airplanes for less than a McD's Janitor pay, and he doesnt have to pay 50% for health.. after.. what was it.. 90 days??? LOL

Wow, guess you got me figured out alright. :rolleyes:

AIR2MUD said:
Holy crap, you mean you've never done that type of flying before? You don't know what you're missing.

I remember taxiing out one December in Elkhart, Indiana, in a Cessna 402 with thin, patchy ice on the runways and taxiways. Sun had just set, temperature dropped just enough so that whatever slush and puddles had been liquid quickly refroze.

I was creeping along, had just pulled on the runway from the taxiway, tried to turn the airplane to line up with the runway centerline and nothing happened. Locked up the brakes, airplane's momentum kept me sliding towards the snow bank on the other side. Black ice sucks. Goosed the left motor, and the airplane started to turn to line up. Gave it more left throttle, airplane's nose was pointed 45 degrees to the right of the centerline now, but the bird was still slightly sliding left. Pushed both throttles up, got enough power in to stop the left slide, CAREFULLY pushed in alternating left and right throttle to correct back to the centerline. Eventually got rudder effectiveness, figured there was no way I was stopping so I pushed it up and hauled a$$ out of there.

Sounds alot like many nights i've had going out of CYUL. Although it wasnt a 402 and i was using power levers, not throttles. Keyword you used is "thin".

The second story you are lucky to still be here. I know several pilots that werent so lucky.

And yes, i've flown freight. Very briefly in a Beech 99. Right up till they had a major icing accident.

air2mud -

You can be my wingman any time !

RJ pilot -

Go back to flying freight. It will make you more humble, and it will make you a better pilot. That pilot uniform is not going to get you laid. trust me

rgds,
FD

RJPilott said:
This is an example of the right time to push the envelope,
snipped for brevity

I won't knock the hurricane hunters for what they do, because they do it well and it is definitely NOT your average, every-day jaunt to drop off trash somewhere (C-130s) or look for subs (P-3s).

However, the hurricane hunter folks I've talked to (all C-130 folks) to don't consider it 'pushing the envelope'. Their words, not mine. They train to do that specific mission, and they do it well. To them, it never becomes routine, but it's not 'let's go out and try this even though it's not safe' as you are suggesting those freight dogs are doing.

RJPilott said:
What this CASW pilot did was just dumb. And even more dumb to video it.

"It all depends on what part of the country you're in, and what part of the country you're from, as to just how stupid you are."

Obviously you've never done this type of flying, so just admit you're less of a man for not having done so, and drop it. What you consider 'pushing the envelope' is as natural for others as drinking a beer and smoking a Lucky. Don't try to limit the rest of us to your small, square view of the flying world.

"A man's got to know his limitations." I'm glad you're aware of what yours are, now shut up, junior, so the rest of us can do some real flying.

Flyingdutchman said:
RJ pilot -

pilot uniform is not going to get you laid. trust me

rgds,
FD

You may want to tell that to some of these pilots flying for 1600 per month which paying 50% of their health. Although if you aint getting laid in a pilot uniform, there are bigger issues lurking. You'd be surprised how many pilot whores are out there. And im not talking about the ones working for 1600/mo.

About the windshield:

The camera is centered on the center of the windshield. If you look at the pilot's side, there was a small hole created by the TKS spraybar. He was legal, and he did a decent job. So let's all wait before we poo-poo this dude.

About TKS:

We had TKS on our Barons. It worked great 90% of the time, but when the chips were really down, TKS couldn't keep up with the ice while boots would give you five minutes with surfacesthat were 70% clean.

Perhaps the TKS flow rates, pressures on the Baron's systems were lower than those on the Commander? All the commander pilots I knew never had any difficulties with their TKS.

Latest resources

Back