Freight dog vid...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJPilott said:
Does Central Air have a clean aircraft concept in their ops specs? And if they do, what parts of the Commander are designated for contamination check prior to departure?

The aircraft is clean in the takeoff. Look again.

RJPILOTT...drop a sack and grow some eggs...this is normal winter on demand flying. I know the pilot, and the only issues I had with it were: two landing lights on during taxi, it says to use one in our manual tut tut, props RPM, and the fact the heater was on after crossing the FAF. I sense where this thread is being led by RJPilott so let me shed a little light on our accident record...

In twenty-five years, Central Air Southwest, has had 3 accidents involving 4 aircraft. One was a mid-air between two company airplanes, both pilots killed flying in formation (unauthorized of course); and the other two accidents were a result of flying in icing conditions in aircraft that were not approved for known ice. Both icing related accidents, the pilots walked away, and the aircraft had in excess of 3-4 inches of ice accumulated. The last accident was in 1993, and we haven't had one since, while averaging 15,000-20,000 hours per year - this info was supplied in the training manual.

As a result of two icing accidents the TKS system has been installed on all their aircraft (AC 500), and we are approved for Known Ice. During training we watch a video on icing procedures, and how the Commander faired during certification. The FAA in fact put the incorrect nozzle on their ice-making King Air, and as a result the icing was much greater than expected, yet the Commander still passed.

The windshield is only protected on the left side - those holes you could see on the left side - and we aren't allowed to use it during takeoff or landing, as it causes obscuration making it difficult to judge depth.

We have to check like all 135 operators allowed to operate in known ice, that the 'critical surfaces' ie wings, horizontal and vertical stabilizers, flight controls, and windshield are uncontaminated within 5 minutes prior to departure

Don't insult Mr. Hoover! I didn't see an 8 point hesitation roll, followed by a loop with one engine - could definately hear both turning when he taxied in. By the way, it was probably a mounted camera, the guy is an amateur photographer, and it was on regular route - you can't fly traffic patterns when its IFR...

Finally, there is no 'easy-button' on the aircraft - we hand fly them, and are approved for 1800RVR ops.

It's not for everyone I'll agree.

Last edited:
My old flight instructor is out flying cargo right now....Ohio to be exact. Just a couple more months of VFR up there, hope those Barons and Caravans are adaquately protected.

NoPax is right on Central Air Southwest's safety record is pretty darn good. I researched them about a week ago. Lost two planes in one accident because two jackarses were dog fighting. I wanted to go fly the Aero Commander but I can't make it work financially (thanks for the offer to interview Mr Towner). It would be a good opportunity for a young single person that is uninhibited to get some good operational multi experience.

That takes me right back to my nights in the Aerostar hauling checks around the Northeast. Yeah, it's ballsy work, but this is the kind of thing that makes you the best pilot you can be, and you will be at the peak of proficiency when you get a few winters under your belt - I probably had 75 nights like that, and so did all of us freightdogs. It's called paying dues and I wish I had the flying skills now that I had to have then.

I've been with the company (CASW) for close to 2 months now and everyone's been pretty good to me so far. The Commander's a nice airplane; very solid. On one of my legs the other night I flew probably 60-70nm without ever having to touch the controls (just an occasional rudder tap). Very stable, unlike anything I've ever flown. I'm looking forward to spending a winter in this with the TKS than another one in a Caravan! JT's a very nice guy, and everyone else around the company's really nice too. Yeah, the pay is a bit low, but it's a nice place to be; I'm happy. I'm fortunate to have a wife who can work and support me...that helps a lot. :)

NoPax said:
RJPILOTT...drop a sack and grow some eggs...this is normal winter on demand flying. I know the pilot, and the only issues I had with it were: two landing lights on during taxi, it says to use one in our manual tut tut, props RPM, and the fact the heater was on after crossing the FAF. I sense where this thread is being led by RJPilott so let me shed a little light on our accident record...

In twenty-five years, Central Air Southwest, has had 3 accidents involving 4 aircraft. One was a mid-air between two company airplanes, both pilots killed flying in formation (unauthorized of course); and the other two accidents were a result of flying in icing conditions in aircraft that were not approved for known ice. Both icing related accidents, the pilots walked away, and the aircraft had in excess of 3-4 inches of ice accumulated. The last accident was in 1993, and we haven't had one since, while averaging 15,000-20,000 hours per year - this info was supplied in the training manual.

As a result of two icing accidents the TKS system has been installed on all their aircraft (AC 500), and we are approved for Known Ice. During training we watch a video on icing procedures, and how the Commander faired during certification. The FAA in fact put the incorrect nozzle on their ice-making King Air, and as a result the icing was much greater than expected, yet the Commander still passed.

The windshield is only protected on the left side - those holes you could see on the left side - and we aren't allowed to use it during takeoff or landing, as it causes obscuration making it difficult to judge depth.

We have to check like all 135 operators allowed to operate in known ice, that the 'critical surfaces' ie wings, horizontal and vertical stabilizers, flight controls, and windshield are uncontaminated within 5 minutes prior to departure

Don't insult Mr. Hoover! I didn't see an 8 point hesitation roll, followed by a loop with one engine - could definately hear both turning when he taxied in. By the way, it was probably a mounted camera, the guy is an amateur photographer, and it was on regular route - you can't fly traffic patterns when its IFR...

Finally, there is no 'easy-button' on the aircraft - we hand fly them, and are approved for 1800RVR ops.

It's not for everyone I'll agree.

When you cant drop your gear because its frozen in the up position, be sure to note the amount of seat material stuck up your rear. So, do you guys have field contamination limits in your ops specs? How does one do a contamination check of all those surfaces from the cockpit? Or did your buddy shut down and get out for a pre-departure check at the hold short line. Could he even see the hold short line? lol

I probably have more time flying in winter ops than you have total. The pucker factor really hits home when you see your wheels (rubber and rim) ground down to a semi-circle.

By the way, you can fly a "pattern" IFR. Believe it or not, airports have "traffic patterns" when the field is IFR or VFR.. really, check it out. You dont have to go to another airport to get back when the wx is low. The statement of a "trip around the pattern" doesnt mean the field has to be VFR, as in talking to a fellow CFI or student. You'll learn that as you get more experience flying IMC... lol

So, what is starting pay and time requirements at Central Air?

Last edited:
semperfido said:
makes me appreciate my ride all the more....don't they have window heat in those things?:)

TKS pilot's windshield...see previous posts. ;)

Latest resources

Back