Freight dog vid...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJPilott said:
By the way, quick question for those that work at CASW. Was that the CASW hangar? If not, are you familiar with that hangar? Is it heated (looked like it had insulation on the door and walls)? And do they spray Glycol inside the hangar?

1 Probably the Hangar the FBO uses to put the aircraft in when it's snowing.
2 I'm not familiar with the hangar
3 Probably heated given that part of the world, we are required to preheat the engines, prior to starting below 30ºF, and to ensure the precontamination check is done within 5 minutes of departure. So if the aircraft has sat in the hangar and is clear of snow/ice/frost and it takes 4 minutes to taxi to the runway, and complete pretakeoff checks, then you could be good to go (FZRA, FZDZ excepted - operations in which are prohibited according to our manual)
4 Unlikely that they spray Glycol inside the heated hangar - think that would cause a possible fire risk (common sense), but then I'm no fireman.

I'll answer any question you have about our ops., but I'm not going to tolerate your unprofessional attitude - your airplane is bigger and faster than mine and your paycheck should be at least 3 times mine if you are an FO 5 times if you are CA, but I really don't care. What goes around comes around.

Come on guys, can't we all just get along? All I can say is the video is what it is, take what you want from it. We all have jobs to do.

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things - George Carlin

Mornin'

I just got up. Watched the video. Read all eight pages without the benefit of coffee.

This might be the silliest thread I've read in awhile but it's obvious to me who's been there and done that.

Big deal.

The vis and ceilings were great for T/O and Ldg.

Even with the iced up windscreen you can get "ground contact" before the RPMs came up (signifying GS intercept).

Show me 100 and 1/2 with the same ice and now we're talking some serious foolishness.

I never would've videotaped it though. That was stupid. Keep cameras out of the cockpit please.

I watched the video..

I am glad I had the opportunity to fly/operate in enviroments like those shown. All of what I saw was well within the limits for my airline operation at the time. Put the POI or any person giving me a route check in the jumpseat and I would be on my way and do nothing different.

Gotta know your limitations and opspecs, but just normal winter ops when working at Great Lakes. But, my windshield never had ice built up on it like that...

RJpilot,

I don't even know where to start!?

Let's see, I may be all over the place here...

Your comment about somebody whoring themselves out for 1600/mo to do this:
I agree, that company needs to pay more than that. But, let me think, I'm not very good with that math thing-starting at a regional for 16,000, 18,000, or 20,000 per year. Yeah, there are no whores working for regionals!

Your comment about your company's F/O's having at least 5 years experience:
Now, yes; but what about 5 years ago? These "non-whores" brought all that 500 hours worth of experience to your airline, to go work for poverty wages.
Good basis for future command decisions.
BTW, do these guys meet FAA ATP minimum requirements yet, or will your airline have to get a waiver to be able to upgrade them?

Your comment about having spent ... winter seasons flying in Canada:
I'm a little confused?! Either Canada's winters are mild as $hit, or you must have done all your flying on cloudless, VFR, days!

I agree with the guy who wrote that you probably scared yourself somewhere down the line, and this is your way of coping with it.

I know a couple of guys who tried the single pilot freight thing, and somewhere, somehow scared the crap out of themselves; most likely it was self induced, because they had no business being in command of an airplane in the first place.
Just like you, they work for the regionals now....

I wish RJpilot was my boss-this way I wouldn't have to fly, ever, in winter time!

Or maybe you could become airport manager at BKL, this way there would never be a flake of snow on any taxiways, or runways here in winter.

Good luck with the Indy Air deal...sincerely!

RJPilott said:
Niiiice... Wishing doom on fellow pilots... you're a real treat...

Again, the ice isnt any different if you have a box in the back or a person. You would think someone with 14,000TT would know that.

I looked through some of your posts. Wow, why so much name calling? Relax bro, its not as bad as it seems. And i only scrolled through the summary of posts. Surely not everyone you have spoken to is an idiot or asshole.. are they?

I'm not wishing doom on a fellow pilot... but face it, Indy isn't doing all that well, and wouldn't it be a hoot to see a weenie like you trying to make a living hauling the mail at night? You wouldn't make it past one week.

14,000 hrs is irrelevant. That ice and snow he was in is no big deal, I knew that back when I had 3,000 hrs. Boxes or people, who gives a sh!t? Just get the job done.

Yes, it's true, I do a bit of name calling to tools like you who post on this board with gigantic egos bashing on other pilots or companies who are deemed less worthy than their own. Most people on this board seem like good, normal guys, but there are a handful of idiots here who need a "bitch slap" as you called it. After reading your posts here, you seem to be one of those idiots.

Since you don't have a clue as to what it's like to be a freight dog, I suggest you knock off the bashing and give it a rest.

Last edited:
To the Freighters with the obvious advantage in the huevos area... What would you suggest as a move when you reach 1200TT. I mean where would you try to initially try to fly and for what reason?

Go for either multi or turbine, if you can get it. I got a Caravan right at 1200TT. I'd say multi would be best if you can get it, then get multi turbine PIC (BE99 or such) as you build up the time. If you can't find either of those you can look for some good single-engine outfits out there. I've known a bunch of Flight Express guys/girls who say it's a good job. Their 210s have TKS too.

ACT700 said:
RJpilot,

I don't even know where to start!?

Let's see, I may be all over the place here...

Your comment about somebody whoring themselves out for 1600/mo to do this:
I agree, that company needs to pay more than that. But, let me think, I'm not very good with that math thing-starting at a regional for 16,000, 18,000, or 20,000 per year. Yeah, there are no whores working for regionals!

Your comment about your company's F/O's having at least 5 years experience:
Now, yes; but what about 5 years ago? These "non-whores" brought all that 500 hours worth of experience to your airline, to go work for poverty wages.
Good basis for future command decisions.
BTW, do these guys meet FAA ATP minimum requirements yet, or will your airline have to get a waiver to be able to upgrade them?

Your comment about having spent ... winter seasons flying in Canada:
I'm a little confused?! Either Canada's winters are mild as $hit, or you must have done all your flying on cloudless, VFR, days!

I agree with the guy who wrote that you probably scared yourself somewhere down the line, and this is your way of coping with it.

I know a couple of guys who tried the single pilot freight thing, and somewhere, somehow scared the crap out of themselves; most likely it was self induced, because they had no business being in command of an airplane in the first place.
Just like you, they work for the regionals now....

I wish RJpilot was my boss-this way I wouldn't have to fly, ever, in winter time!

Or maybe you could become airport manager at BKL, this way there would never be a flake of snow on any taxiways, or runways here in winter.

Good luck with the Indy Air deal...sincerely!

OWNED!!!!! BWAHAHAAAA!!!!

now i need to punish myself for contributing to a thread that is already wayyyyy to long.

i must have wasted an hour reading all this.

News flash fellas, as I have been saying for several posts, living in the Great Lakes region and flying in over 22 yrs of winters, this video is business as usual.

Rj, why don't you grow some sac, if a fag like you were to step foot at my airport with your attitude you would be laughed off faster than avroach, flying in ice is normal ops. If this gets your panties in a wad then your limitations are defined.

My advice, stay true to your inexperience and leave the flying to those that do it every day. Don't judge people for there actions based on a video that clearly shows everything was done right. Ripping other aviators because they have skills you don't now posses or propably never will, is no excuse for belittling fellow freight dogs.

I fly with an operation out of my airport that has the leading most authority in freight flying in Chicago, he flys MU2's and has over 14,000 hrs in type. Hint: His first name is Bill, last starts with M. This guy forgot more about MU2,s and Aztec flying then you will ever know. He is my mentor and has taught me a lot.

Any idiot, like avroach, that thinks flying in icing isn't common place in the midwest with Known icing or not, just doesn't know WTF they are taling about. I see it every day in the winter.

I am privy to many invites to learn from the best. I think this video is just that, a routine day at the office flying winter ops in the midwest. If you don't have the skill, sac or stomach for said ops, go back to your POS RJ and tell us single engine operators how dangerous we are. I guess will see who ends up with experience and those that end up withut a clue.

Put another way, I think if we took a vote, 99% of people would rather fly with a guy that has icing experience before flying with a 1hr of experienced 600 times.

Freight dogs have all my respect, RJ pukes that buy a seat with 600 hrs don't. I'm not saying that's you, but by your comments, it seems clear you are.

Latest resources

Back