• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Freight dog vid...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, I still call it, TCA's and when I an with the younger fellas, it's Class B. I learned in the early eighties only to find out throught the infinite wisdom of appointed stooges that it would better be renamed as to what we now have. So what, adapted or die, I have seen it all, 22 years gives you a nice cross section of what I expect, it isn't much, but I will say one thing, as long as i am flying my plane, there is no-one more capable flying it better than I or safetly than I.

You can ask my feild, any worker will tell you that the plane they want to fly and learn to fly in properly ins my plane. Reputation is everything in this community, you better get used to it. If you're know as a dweeb, well, it's time for a course of testoterone and shrink up that gynocomastia. This flying is no place for testicular hypertrophy. Eith grow some or back to knitting.

CaravanMan said:
No autopilot, multiple legs, 120 degree cabins, planes full of piss (literally), equipment dating back to the stone age, unlike fancy shmancy stuff you've got...hmm...sounds a wee bit familiar too us. We do this everyday.

We may be temporary "whores" as you say, but you'll always be a pu$$y. Get over yourself.

You're right. We only flew J31's on Tues and every other Friday. And we had full Honeywell EFIS in them. Of course, the Ice we encountered in places like upstate NY, Great lakes region, and Upper Northeast were MUCH less intense than the ice you guys encounter in the Midwest.

And since the 19 pax we had on board with no lav, im sure they just sprayed piss, sh!t and puke smelling aerosols. Im sure those smells werent from them literally pissing, puking or sh!tting. ....lol

Where do these people come from?

Last edited:
TDTURBO said:
Yes, I still call it, TCA's and when I an with the younger fellas, it's Class B. I learned in the early eighties only to find out throught the infinite wisdom of appointed stooges that it would better be renamed as to what we now have. So what, adapted or die, I have seen it all, 22 years gives you a nice cross section of what I expect, it isn't much, but I will say one thing, as long as i am flying my plane, there is no-one more capable flying it better than I or safetly than I.

You can ask my feild, any worker will tell you that the plane they want to fly and learn to fly in properly ins my plane. Reputation is everything in this community, you better get used to it. If you're know as a dweeb, well, it's time for a course of testoterone and shrink up that gynocomastia. This flying is no place for testicular hypertrophy. Eith grow some or back to knitting.

Im sorry TDTURBO. My apologies. I didnt realize you gained all that 1100+ hours of experience over a 22 year period time frame. Im sure you are the best in your plane. I will take your word for it. Again, my apologies.

:eek:

It sounds like our friend TDTurbo is doing a little research for his upcoming book. I've got a couple of title suggestions:

"Flying Light Airplanes in Icing Conditions for Dummies"
or
"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Flying in Ice."

Oh to be so young, so good, and so self-assured.

'Sled

Last edited:
I still dont get what's the big deal about that video. That is a normal snowy night for a freight dog. I would worry more about the visibility than the snow on the ground.

speedbird1974 said:
I still dont get what's the big deal about that video. That is a normal snowy night for a freight dog. I would worry more about the visibility than the snow on the ground.

I agree, we used to fly caravans, metroliners, falcon 20s, ect. in that $hit every night hauling freight. I am currently flying freight for an International Airline and not much is different accept for pay and QOL. What’s the big deal? He had TKS fluid available, and the airplane is certified for known icing conditions.

He's actually got a 2.5 hr video of this stuff, saw the whole thing.
Anyways he lived through it and flew Falcons after this gig.
He's now on a CRJ with a regional.
This company just had a fatal crash with an airplane he used to fly going into an airport which was on one of his routes.
Somebodies time was up for sure...

Now that somebody dug this thread out of it's rightful grave, I've wasted at least 30 precious minutes of my life that I will never get back.

The video was cool, and I don't see anything particularly wrong with it other than that the "certified" TKS windshield system looks like a POS.

But I did have fun reading the following post, and I have to say a few things:

You proudly boast of:
a) taking off with nil braking (what if you had to abort, genius)
b) continuing flight into severe iceing conditions
c) shooting an approach with less than legal mins (135?)
d) using a "method" of step-descents below the glideslope which as far as I can tell is aerodynamic nonsense
e) routinely flying in iceing and yet not knowing enough about a 402B iceing system to check the operation of the tail boots on your runup.

The only thing you did smart was not extend the flaps. That would have killed you. That one decision was the last link in the chain. Does it give you pause to think how close you were to death?

Hopefully you treated this as a learning experience, not something to be proud of. People, don't glamorize this type of flying. Getting those boxes there is not worth your life. Don't end up like this friend of mine:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20001226X45493&ntsbno=NYC01FA056&akey=1

AIR2MUD said:
Holy crap, you mean you've never done that type of flying before? You don't know what you're missing.

I remember taxiing out one December in Elkhart, Indiana, in a Cessna 402 with thin, patchy ice on the runways and taxiways. Sun had just set, temperature dropped just enough so that whatever slush and puddles had been liquid quickly refroze.

I was creeping along, had just pulled on the runway from the taxiway, tried to turn the airplane to line up with the runway centerline and nothing happened. Locked up the brakes, airplane's momentum kept me sliding towards the snow bank on the other side. Black ice sucks. Goosed the left motor, and the airplane started to turn to line up. Gave it more left throttle, airplane's nose was pointed 45 degrees to the right of the centerline now, but the bird was still slightly sliding left. Pushed both throttles up, got enough power in to stop the left slide, CAREFULLY pushed in alternating left and right throttle to correct back to the centerline. Eventually got rudder effectiveness, figured there was no way I was stopping so I pushed it up and hauled a$$ out of there.

Another time I was inbound to South Bend, Indiana, and was in moderate icing the whole way no matter what altitude I climbed/descended to. When the Great Lakes don't freeze over, those suckers are mega-snow/ice machines. I was flying the C402 B model, so friggin' gargoyles were growing off the tip tanks, and as fast as I could blow the boots, 1/2" to 3/4" of ice would reappear. It's 0400, tower's closed, and as center is vectoring me to the localizer I listen to the ASOS and it's 1/4 FZFG BLSN VV001. I'm thinking about going somewhere else, but I'm starting to realize the TAFs lied and it's like this just about everywhere. Additionally, I find that I have been having to add power just to maintain altitude, because all the unprotected surfaces are getting a really nice, heavy layer of ice on them. Pretty soon, I'm on the approach with props full, throttles almost all the way up, even though I'm descending on the glideslope. Pretty soon I've got the throttles all the way up, and the only way I can maintain speed is to descend a dot or so below the glide to keep the speed, then level slightly to let the glidepath come back to me, and repeat. During one of the level portions of doing this, the airplane slowed to about 130 knots and started bucking, almost like it was stalling. I shoved the yoke forward, and it got worse; when I eased off, the shaking stopped. I made a concious decision to not use the flaps, since they were P.O.S. split ones anyhow, and also since I didn't know what the heck was going on aerodynamically with the bird. I opted to leave the landing lights off to minimize the 'Star Wars' effect and maximize my opportunity to see the approach lights. As I came down to mins, I see the glow of the approach lights, which is good, since I don't have the power or energy to go missed anyway. The approach lights never become more than a fuzzy outline, and it is snowing pretty good. I pick up the threshold, and then ONE set of runway lights. The snow removal crews haven't been out for a while, so the runway has several inches of snow on it, there's blowing snow, some fog for extra pucker factor - everything is white, though at this time of the morning it was more along the lines of shades of gray...imagine the depth perception problem! I figure minimal flare is required, and somehow I arrive, though I think the Almighty was doing the flying. When the airplane smacked the runway, it was as if I had been caught in a barrier because of the effect the snow had on deceleration. It took me over 30 minutes to taxi to the FBO, which was only 300 yards from the first taxiway I could find. When I gathered myself up, hopped out of the airplane, and checked it over, I found out that the horizontal stab boots hadn't been working at all and what I'd experienced on final was a tailplane stall. This was well before NASA did their studies on it, and I hadn't heard of it before then.

RJ, if you haven't done freight flying, don't attempt to critique that video. You know not of what you speak.

Huh, it really didn't look that bad. When he showed that shot of the spinner their was like no ice on it...I think we have all been through worse...

Frozen brakes? I doubt he was on the brakes at all taxing...esp with the snow slowing him down.

He did a good job...he knew his limits and he didn't exceed them since he was taking a video after he landed.

Whatever...it was a neat video.

That is all I can say...because well that is all I saw...

Latest resources

Back