• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frank Lorenzo had an excuse, he was management

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
However to constantly claim that anything going on in Herndon must be on the up and up just because its Herndon is crazy.
Do you have any proof that Herndon is not following the Bylaws in this case? If not, then I have no reason to believe that anything in Herndon is not "on the up and up."

PCL. Do you by any chance have a bushy moustache?

PIPE
I do not. Tried to grow one a few years ago when I was on vacation, but it came in patchy. So, no 'stache for me. I'm forever excluded from holding ALPA National office. :)

In fact, Nicolau arguably went beyond the scope of his authority when he warned the East that their leadership was taking them down the road to ruin.
He was simply acting in his capacity as a mediator. Nicolau's job was to get both sides to agree and only without that would he hand down his decision. To that effect, he was mediating to the last possible minute by hinting which direction he was leaning. The East rank and file were not allowed to hear this information but it's clear to me that their inability to see reality means it would've made no difference. They're in a slash-and-burn mode and they don't care one whit that they're standing in their burning field.

Guys that don't know Lear70 are really sounding lame by questioning that man's integrity. It's another thing altogether to disagree with him. I disagree with him in regards to this merger.

It is rather unfortunate that USAir East had 20 year FO's, but whose fault is that? Why should a 10 year West captain relinquish his seat to a 20 year East FO? Pity?

This is shameful

I don't know how any airline can survive with this type of bitterness and division among the employees. The only good that may come from this is being illustrated in the DAL/NWA situation. Any merger has massive hurdles to overcome in order to create a cohesive, efficient combined operation. These issues need to be thoroughly evaluated and a workable plan needs to be developed BEFORE the deal gets done or the result will be a trainwreck. I'm afraid that the USAirways/AmWest merger has resulted in a combination where the whole is less valuable than the sum of the parts. Let this be a sad lesson to all.

Guys that don't know Lear70 are really sounding lame by questioning that man's integrity. It's another thing altogether to disagree with him. I disagree with him in regards to this merger.

It is rather unfortunate that USAir East had 20 year FO's, but whose fault is that? Why should a 10 year West captain relinquish his seat to a 20 year East FO? Pity?

Seniority solutions is not the present question before the pilots. ALPA has left the building already. Some regard seniority as a union responsibility and there exists a dispute about whether or not ALPA is fit to provide representation. The present circumstances demonstrate that, if nothing else, ALPA has its limitations. That is why the NMB has ruled there is a dispute.

Tossing out red herrings about what a union might or might not attempt to do is pointless.

If anyone casts their vote without basing their decision on what the Constitution and Bylaws support and require, then they are just shooting in the dark.

Many people get pulled in by silly emotional arguments and throw tantrums. Some people get all teary eyed about ALPA nostalgia and choke up at the thought of admitting their heros aren't perfect.

It shouldn't be an emotional issue. If your lawn care service mows down your flower bed you ask him WTF. If he tells you that he will continue mowing down your flower bed because he knows better than you do then you tell him he is mistaken about who works for who in this relationship and you fire him if he is recalcitrant. If he starts throwing rocks through your windows and pouring dirty oil on the lawn then he is vindictive and it will affect his employment with other clients. The more vindictive and hateful they are as they are ushered off your property the more it will affect any future opportunities they may have otherwise had.

Last edited:
ALPA is FAR, FAR, FAR from perfect. Hell, I'll be the first one to point out ALPA's imperfections.

I don't have any past or present affiliations with USAirways or America West or any regionals associated with either carriers, so I can speak about this as an outside observer.

It is indeed sad that the original USAir pilots got shafted, but they got shafted by their management, and then by their ELECTED ALPA reps. Looking from outside in, I agree - pilots got the real short end of the stick. It is sad that a 20 year veteran couldn't hold anything more than a narrowbody first officer. What would have been an even worse tragedy would be if the original USAir closed its doors and liquidated. I mean, talk about getting a real sh*tty end of the stick. Instead, USAir pilots got a Hail Mary through a merger with another entity - America West. From an outside perspective, it looks as if USAir pilots saw this as an opportunity to "right the wrongs done to its pilot group." Nobody has a problem with this. The problem is that USAir pilots want to do this squarely at the expense of America West pilots and disregard all ALPA merger policies.

It is indeed sad. I wish common sense would prevail here, but...... you reap what you sow. I felt sorry for USAir pilots ever since 9/11, up until this merger and their true colors came out. Now, I REALLY feel sorry for America West pilots for having this madness shoved down their throat.

Who knows... maybe the answer is to abolish the seniority concept altogether a'la Emirates. Who knows?

ALPA is FAR, FAR, FAR from perfect. Hell, I'll be the first one to point out ALPA's imperfections.

I don't have any past or present affiliations with USAirways or America West or any regionals associated with either carriers, so I can speak about this as an outside observer.

It is indeed sad that the original USAir pilots got shafted, but they got shafted by their management, and then by their ELECTED ALPA reps. Looking from outside in, I agree - pilots got the real short end of the stick. It is sad that a 20 year veteran couldn't hold anything more than a narrowbody first officer. What would have been an even worse tragedy would be if the original USAir closed its doors and liquidated. I mean, talk about getting a real sh*tty end of the stick. Instead, USAir pilots got a Hail Mary through a merger with another entity - America West. From an outside perspective, it looks as if USAir pilots saw this as an opportunity to "right the wrongs done to its pilot group." Nobody has a problem with this. The problem is that USAir pilots want to do this squarely at the expense of America West pilots and disregard all ALPA merger policies.

It is indeed sad. I wish common sense would prevail here, but...... you reap what you sow. I felt sorry for USAir pilots ever since 9/11, up until this merger and their true colors came out. Now, I REALLY feel sorry for America West pilots for having this madness shoved down their throat.

Who knows... maybe the answer is to abolish the seniority concept altogether a'la Emirates. Who knows?

All true, which is why USAPA supporters/Voters need to be regarded as the SCABS they are.

They've simply added a new definition to the term.

All true, which is why USAPA supporters/Voters need to be regarded as the SCABS they are.

They've simply added a new definition to the term.

Ya know, your T-shirt in your avitar has a better chance of convincing a muslim to become a Christian, than does your use of the term Scab have the chance of convincing a vote for ALPA.

I love you man.:beer:

I disagree with Lear completely on this issue, but I and just about every other AirTran pilot would back him up on the above quote. Look at some old threads from last fall that deal with our contract negotiations. Lear made the ultimate sacrifice because of the fighting he did for this pilot group. I disagree with him on many things, but his integrity is most certainly not in question.

Glad to hear that his efforts on behalf of his pilot group are appreciated.

But certainly you could understand that his support for another pilot group that has as it's stated goal the overturning of a federaly arbitrated decision followed by the subjugation of 40% of the pilot group.

Makes it difficult to consider him someone who would fight for all pilots interests. I'm just glad that in the situation you mention, that his interests were the same as yours.

Fast

Latest resources

Back