• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Frank Lorenzo had an excuse, he was management

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And my entire point is that you've already proven that you wouldn't abide by that which you've agreed. You can speculate that I have no integrity but I can prove you don't.
Glad to see you calmed down a bit. Your first post was a little hysterical and there was no need to go off on a character attack.

Secondly, what are you talking about in the above paragraph? I don't work at UAir. I haven't agreed to anything, nor am I breaching any sort of agreement.

You have proven nothing; except that you can go off on random tangents that have nothing to do with the conversation.

If the Easties want this place burned down I have no doubt they'll succeed. That's called a pyrrhic victory.
I'm well-aware of the term, which is what I don't understand about the West's position.

The East will get their Pyrrhic victory and the West will get what? An opportunity to start over at the bottom of a seniority list somewhere else?

Who gets to cut their losses? Is it now one big p*ssing contest to see who blinks first?

In that game, I'd say both sides are to blame, no matter of who started it first.

Once again, you've got a lot of nerve. Calling my hypocritical?
Yup. About the same amount of nerve you have telling me I have no integrity.

Doesn't feel good to have someone question you like that, does it? Might think before you post next time.

How is that unfair? You know what, nevermind. I couldn't care less what you think is fair. If we went to an arbitrator I'd win this argument so that's good enough for me.
Ummm... OK. Since you think you've "won", I'll just run along now... :rolleyes:

Hint: NO ONE wins on these boards. I post on the UAir threads every once in a blue moon to get people to just take a second to consider two things:

1. How there's more than one side to this argument (although there's far more West supporters since there's more West pilots on this board - they're younger and internet-savvy - I bet half the East pilots have never been on an internet bulletin board in their life), and

2. If you dig your heels in and let the East burn it down, you've won your "moral victory" but have no career. Maybe some type of middle ground would be a better alternative?

That's all I'll say on the matter. I know I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine.

You're confusing the fact that the East pilots almost certainly could have argued for and obtained a more favorable award with "getting hosed by the arbitrator." In fact, Nicolau arguably went beyond the scope of his authority when he warned the East that their leadership was taking them down the road to ruin. The arbitrator is required to craft his award from the positions offered by the parties, and the East simply didn't give him anything to work with.
No, I'm not forgetting that at all. I agree with that assessment 100% and even said so once or twice in this thread.

I just feel bad for the rank-and-file UAir pilot who had NO idea their MEC was screwing them so badly with their ineptitude, and now is using the only weapon they have left.

Like I said, I understand their plight, agree with their fight, but not the way in which they're fighting it.

To top it off, the West pilots now are projecting their career plans based on Nicolau so anything that is proposed by the East as a gain is at the West's expense whereas converesely, if the UAir MEC had obtained it through Nicolau, there wouldn't be NEARLY the same amount of teeth-gnashing from the West side.

It's a sh*tty situation for both sides, and will make it a bitter and nasty place to work for decades; ten times worse than going through CLT right after the Piedmont purchase and (almost total) staple job...

Turtle,

You deflect the issues because the answers to 2 very basic questions disprove every premise your arguments for 'rights' are based on.

Of course you would have preferred a merger as it was the only means of salvation for what remained of your career. And of course USAPA would not have come to pass if you had been granted your 'demands' from the arbitrator.

You keep trying to sugar coat this into something it's not....this is about you guys not getting what you wanted, so now you're going to try and take it.

While your speculation of USAPA motives, AAA pilots desires, and arbitration wishes makes for a spirited topic of discussion, they are all irrelevant.

Motives are not factored into the NMB ruling regarding the dispute.

Prater's continued scowls and rebuke of the pilots will not serve to win over any votes. ALPA has failed and is incapable of making any improvements.

Its not that many people aren't well intentioned. They just have too many masters. He shouldn't take it personally and neither should you.

2. If you dig your heels in and let the East burn it down, you've won your "moral victory" but have no career. Maybe some type of middle ground would be a better alternative?

Considering the fragile nature of the airline industry at $100/bbl oil, what makes you think the west couldn't "burn the place down" if they are given no alternative (i.e. USAPA victory)? Furthermore, what evidence is there that a bunch of unemployable old frts would be willing to throw their meal ticket in the trash by "burning the place down" just to show the westies a thing or two? Never gonna happen.

C'mon, let's deal with reality for a change.

ALPA has failed and is incapable of making any improvements.

More precisely, ALPA has failed to side with the larger pilot group and crush the smaller. If ALPA chose to gut the arbitration process by allowing more bites at the apple until the dominant side was happy, then I would agree that they failed.

Did they fail in the DAL/NWA talks? No. That process was in the stage where you could bring forward solutions to integration issues. After an arbitration is decided, that time no longer exists. While it might be painful to watch the UAir pilots go through it, the consequences of being bull-headed can't be diminished by changing the rules or changing the union after the fact.

Maybe some type of middle ground would be a better alternative?
Of course, but no middle ground is possible as long as uSAPa is a threat. The only chance for a middle ground would be for the East to forget uSAPa and drop the lawsuit that aims to vacate the Nic award. If that were to happen, then with National's assistance, I guarantee that the two MECs could reach a mutually beneficial fence agreement that would end all of this nonsense. But as long as the Easties want to dig in and fight, middle ground will never happen.

The east isn't seeking middle ground, they are seeking(demanding) everything they sought before as they point the figurative gun at the heads of the west. We aren't willing to negotiate? bull********************. We aren't willing to just capitulate, thats different than not being willing to negotiate. I love how we are made out to be the bad guy.

Last edited:
:angryfire :bomb: :nuts: :uzi: :smash:

And Prater still has a couple hold outs singing Koom ba ya and talking like ALPA can still have a solution to unity.:laugh:

The east isn't seeking middle ground, they are seeking(demanding) everything they sought before as they point the figurative gun at the heads of the west. We aren't willing to negotiate? bull********************. We aren't willing to just capitulate, thats different than not being willing to negotiate. I love how we are made out to be the bad guy.
Didn't say you were the "bad guy", just saying it seems to be a lose-lose situation and I don't see anyone really forging a solution, East or West.

Already said I don't like the way they're doing it on the East, just understand why they're upset.

Like I said, I think the situation just sucks in general, no really good solution to be had now, thanks to the hardline East MEC during the arbitration.

Latest resources

Back