• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Former Pilots-Union Chief Duane Woerth Has Inside Track to Lead FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He wouldn't set about to increase the operating costs of the airlines in these troubled times when the duty/rest precedent is well established.

You have a point, but age 60 was a well established precedent too. At the very least it would get the issue back on the front burner. I think this is maybe the best shot we have to fix the rules. It's going to be difficult for them to justify 16 hour duty days when they just shortened the duty day for train conductors to 12. How about 10 hours of duty = 10 hours rest, 11 = 11 hours rest, and 12 = 12 rest. Very simple, easy to understand, no more complicated formulas. I don't see why we couldn't get this done.

When did SKW vote down ALPA and when did ASA get thier raise? Not saying you're wrong, just for some reason in my brain, I thought SKW voted down ALPA long before the ASA vote went through.

As far as reeping bennefits, I know YOU didn't say that, but I have seen others ALPA cheerleaders get all pissed about it.
It seems like they're more upset because they aren't getting the pat on the back they feel they deserve. And anyone that doesn't pat them on the back is "riding thier coat tails".
Does ALPA do good for the industry, or do they do good to try and gain more members?

To answer your question:

Whether you work for an ALPA carrier or not, you can thank ALPA for setting standards in pay, benefits, and safety that positively affect the jobs of all pilots. Without ALPA, or it's equivalent, your wages and benefits would be much lower and this industry would not be as safe. Like it or not, the pilot profession is much better off because of a union--ALPA.

So, the question for you, are you better off in this industry as a result of ALPA, irregardless of your membership affiliation? We know the answer--no response is required!

But he won't. Duane doesn't care about pilots, he cares about Duane.

How do you know? Do you have specific personal knowledge and experience?

If he only cared for himself how did he get elected again?

The mission of the FAA is bifurcated: 1) Safety and 2) Promote Aviation. "Promote Aviation" is Washington speak for getting in bed with management to try to help keep the commercial aviation corporations viable.

So would having a union leader that is used to dealing with managment be good or bad?

He wouldn't set about to increase the operating costs of the airlines in these troubled times when the duty/rest precedent is well established.

Can you justify your statement?

I think the choice will be pretty simple; he's either in bed with the legacy management or he will not get the job.

If any of you think he'll come in and do what is right for the pilot's sake, well, keep dreaming....

I think the choice will be pretty simple; he's either in bed with the legacy management or he will not get the job.

If any of you think he'll come in and do what is right for the pilot's sake, well, keep dreaming....

For a non union pilot you sure seem to know allot about Woerth and his job performance..... how is that?

To answer your question:

Whether you work for an ALPA carrier or not, you can thank ALPA for setting standards in pay, benefits, and safety that positively affect the jobs of all pilots. Without ALPA, or it's equivalent, your wages and benefits would be much lower and this industry would not be as safe. Like it or not, the pilot profession is much better off because of a union--ALPA.

So, the question for you, are you better off in this industry as a result of ALPA, irregardless of your membership affiliation? We know the answer--no response is required!
You're kidding me, right?
How many times has ALPA told their pilot group to take a paycut to "live to fight another day"??
How about the guys at ExpressJet who just furloughed 300 pilots and then the union tells them to take a pay cut to "protect their livelyhood".

You're kidding me, right?
How many times has ALPA told their pilot group to take a paycut to "live to fight another day"??
How about the guys at ExpressJet who just furloughed 300 pilots and then the union tells them to take a pay cut to "protect their livelyhood".

Wayback, stop with the head in the sand routine. I am not a big ALPA fan either. However, there have been advancements from all angles of this profession due to the lobby effort of ALPA.

There have certainly failings as well. I believe that many aspects of how ALPA operates worked years ago but not today. I don't know if there will be room for them in furutre unless they adapt to this cut throat business enviroment.

Out of curiosity, what would you be saying right now if SkyWest was furloughing?

deleted

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back