• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Former Pilots-Union Chief Duane Woerth Has Inside Track to Lead FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought the SKYW guys got the pay raise after the vote of ALPA didn't go through, and ASA's came along later.

SKYW got a minuscule pay raise after the union drive failed.

Then, after ASA reached payscales about 5% higher than theirs, SkyWest management upped their pay to match ASA.

The pay raise came through after ASA finished their contract.

I never said that. Some people are frustrated with the idea that others ride coattails and reap the befits of what they feel they paid for. But life isn't fair and forcing another pilot group into a union would be an even greater travesty in regards to person freedoms.

When did SKW vote down ALPA and when did ASA get thier raise? Not saying you're wrong, just for some reason in my brain, I thought SKW voted down ALPA long before the ASA vote went through.

As far as reeping bennefits, I know YOU didn't say that, but I have seen others ALPA cheerleaders get all pissed about it.
It seems like they're more upset because they aren't getting the pat on the back they feel they deserve. And anyone that doesn't pat them on the back is "riding thier coat tails".
Does ALPA do good for the industry, or do they do good to try and gain more members?

SKYW got a minuscule pay raise after the union drive failed.

Then, after ASA reached payscales about 5% higher than theirs, SkyWest management upped their pay to match ASA.
Ok.
From a SKW pilots perspective...what's wrong with that? Another airline got a pay raise and our company raised our pay to compete...what's wrong with that?

They got a pay raise and they didn't have to pay 2% to ALPA.

Ok.
From a SKW pilots perspective...what's wrong with that? Another airline got a pay raise and our company raised our pay to compete...what's wrong with that?

Well the problem is, they have no way to force their company to give them a pay raise. Had their sister company ASA not gotten a raise, they wouldn't have gotten one.

I agree. I'm certainly not a Woerth fan at all, but having a former line pilot running the FAA has to bode well for most of us.

JFYI, a former pilot runs the FAA right now. His name is Sturgell and his next in command is also a former pilot and his name is Krowkowski.

Please explain, in specifics, how non-ALPA airlines are all freeloaders of ALPA. And please don't try and cite stuff that is a typical airline perk, like JS agreement.

Personally, I think you want all the other airlines to be ALPA because misery loves company.

So far this year, all the airlines furloughing and taking paycuts are ALPA.
The non ALPA airlines have been hiring and taken a pay raises.

ASAP, FOQA, ASRS, Approach light systems, runway distance to go markers, TCAS, independent NTSB, air traffic control centers, representation at ICAO, CAST and ARCs, standard T instrument layout, weather radar, FFDO, CASS and CrewPass, fire resistant materials in cabins, airport and airway trust fund, airport safety, GPWS/TAWS, one level of safety, ETOPS, CRM, RVSM, windshear detection, color terrein contours on charts, SOIA, and runway status lights just to name a few solely in the safety area.

Ok.

I think this is partly what people mean by riding union coat tails. The ALPA members of ASA who paid dues for five years finally got their contract and SKW pilots were "rewarded" for it. Very smart of SKW management if you ask me.

Last edited:
May I toss in something in regards to my political opposite?

What he is talking about is the sort of thing like the SkyWest pilot group being handed raises immediately after ASA pilots reached their deal. Additionally, many of the work rules well enjoy came at the expense of ALPA members. There are many FAA regulations that came about as a direct result of ALPA lobby efforts. Everyone gets a piece of that pie.

I don't always agree with how ALPA conducts its business. At some times I find it down right despicable. (I WILL NOT ELABORATE, REZ. :) ) However, I like the lobby effort on our part when there are many forces and other lobby groups stacked against us. I do like the legal protections I get from a union. I don't like the fact that SkyWest pilots got a pay raise based on what we went through to acheive closure.

Ain't a perect world. Neither is ALPA nor are the managment groups of the airlines. There needs to be some sanity from both sides and generally there isn't so this game will keep being played probably for the foreseeable future.

Regards sir.... :beer:

ASAP, FOQA, ASRS, Approach light systems, runway distance to go markers, TCAS, independent NTSB, air traffic control centers, representation at ICAO, CAST and ARCs, standard T instrument layout, weather radar, FFDO, CASS and CrewPass, fire resistant materials in cabins, airport and airway trust fund, airport safety, GPWS/TAWS, one level of safety, ETOPS, CRM, RVSM, windshear detection, color terrein contours on charts, SOIA, and runway status lights just to name a few solely in the safety area.

Why the Skywest pilots do not want to and refuse to be a part of these successes is beyond comprehension. People have different values...

ALPA and unions are flawed just like any organization comprised of people...

For a bad as ALPA is, it is worse without....

At least with a union I have a voice and ability to address my management and gov't. I find it offensive to depend on management or gov't to look out for my interest when it is clear they do not.

If ALPA has problems the cure is not to turn ones back and ignore it....

Last edited:
For a bad as ALPA is, it is worse without....

That's the fact Jack!

Back to D.W. I think he'd be good as FAA Administrator because he has by far the closest similarity to my interests compared to any previous FAA Administrator.

I would bet that the NTSB's top 10 most wanted list would be addressed quicker with D.W. than without. I'm talking about REST here people!!!

You HAVE to admit that!

That's the fact Jack!

Back to D.W. I think he'd be good as FAA Administrator because he has by far the closest similarity to my interests compared to any previous FAA Administrator.

I would bet that the NTSB's top 10 most wanted list would be addressed quicker with D.W. than without. I'm talking about REST here people!!!

You HAVE to admit that!

I agree 100%. I can't believe how some people can be so stubborn. I don't care what his politics were as the FAA Administrator he can achieve more with the stroke of a pen than any union ever could.

I don't care what his politics were as the FAA Administrator he can achieve more with the stroke of a pen than any union ever could.

But he won't. Duane doesn't care about pilots, he cares about Duane.

The mission of the FAA is bifurcated: 1) Safety and 2) Promote Aviation. "Promote Aviation" is Washington speak for getting in bed with management to try to help keep the commercial aviation corporations viable.

He wouldn't set about to increase the operating costs of the airlines in these troubled times when the duty/rest precedent is well established.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back